Author Topic: Replaced key shell and now key doesn't work  (Read 1106 times)

MaxFrames

• Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
Replaced key shell and now key doesn't work
« on: April 18, 2021, 12:06:33 PM »
One of the two copies of the key fell and  the plastic shell broke. The key was still working and starting the car, but the shell was all craking and wobbling, so I bought a replacement empty shell on Amazon.
I extracted the remote control unit and the key head from the old shell, inserted them into the new shell, and closed it.
Now the key does not start the car anymore. It makes contact, and when I turn it the starter motor spins, but the engine does not start.
Have I missed something? Is there maybe a third component in the original key that I left over? I thought (also based on the replacement shell instructions) that there were only two components to carry over from the old key: the key head and the two-button remote control. But what about the immobilizer/transponder? Is that built into the remote control unit? Or is it a separate item? How do I identify it? I still have the old broken shell.
At stake.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue

MaxFrames

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
  • My Honda: Mk I (2004) Honda Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S - manual transmission - Ice Blue Metallic
Re: Replaced key shell and now key doesn't work
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 12:54:01 PM »
So the bit that's missing is that tiny black cylinder shape black bit that he removes from the key shell at the beginning of the video and inserts in the new shell before reassembling? Is that the transponder?
At stake.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »
So the bit that's missing is that tiny black cylinder shape black bit that he removes from the key shell at the beginning of the video and inserts in the new shell before reassembling? Is that the transponder?

I believe so

MaxFrames

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Jazzman since 2004
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 11:52:36 AM »
I opened up the old key shell (not that it really needed to be opened up, as it was already cracked open) and noticed that there was indeed a kind of white plastic cover on the space just right of the remote control placeholder; I lifted that cover and underneath that sat a very tiny metal cylinder with no eletrical connections whatsoever; seemingly just a tiny magnet with some glue holding it on the spot.
I carefully removed this thingie and proceeded to position it in the new key shell (I couldn't really secure it in place because the new key shell does not have a slot to contain it, but once the key shell is closed, the thingie does seem to rest in its place, can't go anywhere). And sure as heck, after doing this and closing the key shell the key now does work.
So that tiny cylinder is indeed the transponder that triggers the immobilizer.
I'm posting here so maybe it will help someone else... the instructions on the replacement key shell were inaccurate or were intended for vehicles not equipped with an immobilizer.
At stake.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 12:06:43 PM »
I love a story with a happy ending!

Tags: