Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Hit by Minicab!
« Last post by UKjim on Today at 08:54:55 AM »
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are missing the point. The minicab driver was not moving slowly he appeared on my left side without slowing down to the roundabout approach but moved over into our lane to go straight on/ right from a left lane. If I had not been concentrating on the traffic approaching from my right then a much nastier accident could have occured. I did not steer into him, I took the correct line into the roundabout.
« Last post by d2d4j on Today at 08:46:11 AM »
Hi

I would consider the accident would be classed as 50/50 fault

This is based on the video, which shows both vehicles were moving slowly, the taxi driver was in wrong lane but you should have been aware of your surroundings, and seen the taxi driver and you did steer left into the taxi

Also, it is less money for insurance companies if classed as 50/50

I know many on here may disagree with me and I appreciate you may be looking to the right but you do need to be aware of what is in front of you and only move off/enter roundabout when it is clear to do so

Many thanks

John
« Last post by UKjim on Today at 07:52:45 AM »
There is no true straight on, the two outer lanes depict entry into the roundabout and then right turn only, maybe better showing right but it is obvious nonetheless. As said the taxi driver was in a turn left only lane attempting a right turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gallery / Re: Finnish Skyride Blue Jazz 1.5 Dynamic
« Last post by TnTkr on Today at 06:52:42 AM »
Spring is arriving to Finland and eventhough most nights are still below zero, day temperature reaches +15. So I put the summer tyres on to my Jazz. Before mounting I routinely measured the groove depth. And the result confirms that Dunlop Sport is really soft! After only 5000 km the difference between front and rear is already 1 mm. I do circulate front and rear tyres annually, so at the end the wear will be pretty even. The next summer tyres will be something with better wear resistance.
« Last post by Kremmen on Today at 05:33:23 AM »
If so then this minicab driver was in the left lane turning right !
Yes, thanks.

Steve_M has clarified the position regarding the MY series. Unlike my Civics where the MY changed annually in March, the Jazz is still on the original production version but will soon be the MY22. Be interesting to see what changes. Not always for the better though.

My current Civic is a MY13, bought at release March 2013. The MY13 had some changes from the MY12 that I wanted like DAB radio and a fixed iMid regarding viewing options. However it lost the front seat bolt covers and spare wheel toolkit.

That must mean that the dealers info, on a board next to a MK4 EX and listing a tilting passenger mirror on reverse was wrong as no one has it.
« Last post by billyausten on April 19, 2021, 11:36:07 PM »

Am I the only one who is struggling to see the straight ahead route over this roundabout? All I see are trees and a fence. The centre and right arrows would be better depicting a RH turn would they not?!
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Theoretical gearbox modification
« Last post by billyausten on April 19, 2021, 11:31:51 PM »
As Jocko says, drag force is proportional to speed squared, drag power is proportional to speed cubed. Going faster needs more fuel as a rule.
 The significant factor in which gear you use (and hence engine speed) is that the brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC), the fuel used to produce one kW.hr of energy at the wheels, generally improves with more load and less speed (up to a point).
The BSFC map below is an example of a car petrol engine.
The "road load" in 4th gear is shown dotted to give an example of where the engine runs as vehicle speed increases. Higher gears will show as curves above this example, lower gears will be below it.

The top line in bold is essentially the maximum torque curve at wide open throttle measured in brake mean effective pressure BMEP (Bar), this is in essence the torque per litre with a constant factor applied (Nm = 7.958 x BMEP x swept volume). BMEP alllows you to compare different engines directly, taking swept volume out of it.
The lines curving from top left down towards bottom right are constant power lines (see right hand axis). If you run a car at a given speed you need a fixed power, lets say 30kW. Follow the 30kW line up towards the left and you'll see that at for example 4000rpm (low gear) the BSFC is about 400 g/kW.hr.
If you use a higher gear and run the engine at say 3000rpm, the BSFC for 30kW is around 300 g/kW.hr, and at 2500rpm it is about 270 g/kW.hr
Thus you can see that for cruising at steady speed using a higher gear generally speaking puts the engine nearer the "eye" of the map and thus gives a lower amount of fuel needed to produce the required power (and thus energy).
If you go too far it can make it worse, but that tends to be at extreme low rpm and extreme load (torque). For a typical petrol engine it is usually not beneficial to run at high load much below around 1500-1750rpm (heat losses in the slow cycles means lower thermal efficiency), and at near full load (open throttle) the engine usually runs slightly rich so fuel efficiency reduces.

Great post, thank you.

In my mind, this lends support to my proposal that a higher 5th ratio will reduce fuel consumption with all other things equal. Is this correct?

The increase in ratio would in my mind not labour the engine excessively, it would conversely keep it closer to (but still slightly over) its 'sweet spot'. The car seems to rev out beyond this sweet spot in 5th over about 50mph, and tbh 50 is not practical or sustainable for decent length journeys with young irritable children.

Ive been looking at various gearboxes from cars being broken. and 95% of breakers offer jazz boxes as being suitable for both 1.2 and 1.4. Can anyone with a 1.2 please confirm what they have in the way of markings on their own gearboxes so that I may try to validate my options?
I used to have the climate control on all the time on my old Mk2 petrol car. On the Crosstar the more electrical gadgets you have switched on, the less time you spend in EV mode whether it's aircon, lights etc. but you can be in EV mode with climate on if it's not got to work too hard. Now the weather's warmer the windows are less likely to steam up so I switch climate off if it's not required. You can leave it on all the time but it will increase your fuel consumption (as it does on a petrol car, it's just less noticeable). In either case you'll be using a lot less fuel than in a petrol car.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - 2020 / Re: New battery recommendations please.
« Last post by Philno on April 19, 2021, 09:04:27 PM »
Hi Toptek
I have a 2018 SE manual drive which I've had for just over a month. The Stop/Start Auto Idle feature has never worked until today!  I have
always previously had the stop/start not available
low battery charge info warning.

Here's what I did based on previous posts:

I disconnected the negative battery lead for approx 3 minutes. After reconnecting it I started the car and got the Infotainment back
up by holding its power button down for 2 seconds as prompted. All settings were intact. I then turned off the ignition.
The next step was to charge the battery. I connected the negative lead to the L shaped metal part which goes before the sensor on the body earth side.

When fully charged it was showing 13.2 volts.

I took the wife shopping at Meadowhall a few hours later and low and behold the green A symbol came on to show that Start Stop was working.
I then disabled it with the button as I prefer not to use it, but it made me happy that the feature I've never seen working before now actually appears to be functioning OK!

When I got the car last month the weather had been very cold but It's been a lot milder
recently so I wonder if that has had some effect also.

Please let us know how you get on with your battery.
I believe Cox Motor Spares supply the official
Honda battery replacement.
Regards

Phil
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10