Author Topic: This damned tyre pressure warning system.  (Read 53288 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: This damned tyre pressure warning system.
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2020, 09:32:16 PM »
Could well be. It hasn't been an issue with my problems but I've seen a lot of advice to the effect that tyres are best replaced in pairs if you have this system.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2020, 09:58:25 PM »
I've never had the problem yet although the light was on during my test drive but since picking it up it's been as good as gold (touch wood!). Are the 2018 and later cars better in this respect?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2020, 10:28:04 PM »
Mine is an early 2020 car and it's every bit as bad as my 2017 Mk3.

That said, the earlier car did settle down eventually but 10 false alarms across the 2 cars is seriously bad and I am not alone. The Honda system is notorious.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2020, 10:30:09 PM »
I should add that the reason it's not a deal breaker for me is that I don't do much motorway driving. It never false alarms in an urban setting.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2020, 11:18:55 PM »
There is a customer complaint only TSB that makes the system less sensitive if it's really bothering anyone. Enquire at your local dealer.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2020, 01:45:07 AM »
i only had it happen once

my car is a pre reg so it was six months old when i got it with 16 miles on it and my dealer is 50 miles away so on the way home the light came on

i stopped at the services to check the tyres and all was ok when i got home just checked the manual and reset the light and it has not come on since

im just glad it uses the abs system and not the stupid sensors in the wheels

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2020, 10:09:20 AM »
Mine goes off every day. (Bought 6 weeks ago 5100 on a 68)I reset it every evening. It goes off on the same but of dual carriageway on my homeward journey. Went off first on the M6 back from the dealers. One of the rear tyres is different to the michelins on the other 3.
That might be it possibly?
Just remember when you reset it you have to drive a certain number of miles non stop above a certain speed for the reset to complete. I suspect if you are resetting it every evening you might be making it worse. Perhaps leave it alone for a while, just ignore it. Then reset it before you next do a journey which is compatible with the reset process. I am not sure what that is as I no longer have my HRV which had this issue and my Mk1 Jazz does not have it fitted.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 10:12:02 AM by richardfrost »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2020, 12:31:40 PM »
Mine goes off every day. (Bought 6 weeks ago 5100 on a 68)I reset it every evening. It goes off on the same but of dual carriageway on my homeward journey. Went off first on the M6 back from the dealers. One of the rear tyres is different to the michelins on the other 3.
That might be it possibly?
Just remember when you reset it you have to drive a certain number of miles non stop above a certain speed for the reset to complete. I suspect if you are resetting it every evening you might be making it worse. Perhaps leave it alone for a while, just ignore it. Then reset it before you next do a journey which is compatible with the reset process. I am not sure what that is as I no longer have my HRV which had this issue and my Mk1 Jazz does not have it fitted.

The calibration process requires approximately 30 minutes of cumulative driving at speeds between 40−100 km/h (25−62 mph).
During this period, if the ignition is turned on and the vehicle is not moved within 45 seconds, you may notice the low tyre pressure indicator comes on briefly. This is normal and indicates that the calibration process is not yet complete

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2020, 06:15:40 PM »
I must be lucky as I've never had any tyre pressure warning problems after 4 years, 36000 miles and a change of tyres to Goodyear All Seasons. Long may it continue...

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2020, 12:38:52 PM »
I must be lucky as I've never had any tyre pressure warning problems after 4 years, 36000 miles and a change of tyres to Goodyear All Seasons. Long may it continue...

That's good. I think the frustrating thing for me is that there is no identifiable fault. My first Mk3 settled down after 5 resets. This one might be settling down - I'll know next time I do a motorway run.

I'd love to know what sets the system off when there is no tyre pressure issue, you have the same tyres on all 4 wheels and the pressures are set as per manual. Heat must be involved because the false alarms are tripped at motorway speeds. I've never had an issue in an urban setting.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2020, 02:16:03 PM »
I wonder whether travelling a significant distance in the same direction in strong sunshine causes the tyres on the sunny side to heat up more and could upset the system if the pressures had changed slightly since the last calibration. So, for those with TPMS false alarms: Was the weather sunny with the sun on one side of the car?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »
Hadn't thought of that John but you might be on to something. I'm pretty sure it was warm and sunny on every single false alarm.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2020, 04:48:15 PM »
I doubt that what little heat the sun would add would have any effect over the heat generated by contact with the road.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2020, 04:54:21 PM »
I have a BMW which has pressure sensors in each wheel and after parking in the sun there can be a pressure difference of almost 3psi between the sunny and shady sides.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2020, 05:03:03 PM »
I doubt that what little heat the sun would add would have any effect over the heat generated by contact with the road.

Good point but is heat, generally, a problem with the system? I just wonder what causes the false alarms and why, certainly in the case of my first Mk3, the system seems to resolve itself after several resets.

Having done a bit of googling several people have reported the false alarms being triggered after motorway driving.

Tags:

anything