Author Topic: water in boot well  (Read 2000 times)

TIMCRIPPS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 JAZZ SE SPORT CVT
water in boot well
« on: February 15, 2021, 09:51:19 AM »
I  have a 2004 Jazz and have just found that water is pooling in my spare tyre well in the boot. I have seen several posts this subject on the forum but I don't fully understand the posts and what to do. Can anybody explain to me in simple layman terms anything that I might be able to do to locate and fix this problem. Many thanks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: water in boot well
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 10:03:34 AM »
The water usually leaks in under the plastic roof rails on either side of the roof. You slide them forward and lift the rear section. You then check for cracked sealant at the rear of the rails. Any that is cracked dig out and replace with a suitable sealant (not bathroom/kitchen sealer). Clip the rails back into place, and hopefully, that is the job done.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 10:27:42 AM »
I think the pictures here show the problem, and solution, very well

http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/jazz_leak.html

The only thing it doesn't explain is removing the plastic gutter trim - as Jocko says, lift up at the front and slide the whole thing forwards.

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 11:12:14 AM »
Ive followed this instructions and used CT1 sealant in grey colour to match my car colour. It worked! I'm so greatful for all the senior members invhere for helping us juniors! 😊

Honda uses a black colour paste called Tiger seal i was told. But then it looks ugly when the colour doesn't match..

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 11:16:05 AM »
Honda uses a black colour paste called Tiger seal i was told. But then it looks ugly when the colour doesn't match..

The polyurethane stuff now used by manufacturers and body shops is usually black or grey, but it is over-paintable when it's fully cured, so you can cover it up by dabbing with a pot of body colour touch up paint.

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 10:42:53 PM »
The water usually leaks in under the plastic roof rails on either side of the roof.

Any other places to check Jocko?

I've sealed up (as far as I can tell) the upper area but water still seems to be getting in on the GF's 2006 Jazz.

I fixed her old 2002 model, no problem, the first time around... :-X

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 12:25:15 AM »
You can also get leaks under the bracket for the tailgate gas strut, and I think someone on here had a leak under the tailgate handle trim into the boot.

I think this link has the best explanation of the sealant problem and the fixes

gtd2000

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 06:37:52 PM »
You can also get leaks under the bracket for the tailgate gas strut, and I think someone on here had a leak under the tailgate handle trim into the boot.

I think this link has the best explanation of the sealant problem and the fixes

Unbolted the gas struts today and checked for water ingress, looked dry but used sealant before putting the bolts back in.

Removed the wiring grommit at the top right, checked for water ingress, looked fine, then reseated and put sealant around it.

Car boot was filling up with water an hour or so later!

Chatted with a pal that owns a garage, this afternoon and he thinks that water can get in via the light units?

Had anybody had problems with water ingress via the rear lights?

I'll wait until there's a dry day but the amount of water coming in is like there's a window open, rather than a drip through somewhere!?!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 06:40:19 PM by gtd2000 »

Hopipola

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 Jazz SE 2004
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 09:12:59 PM »
Gtd have you fixid your issue with jazz. I purchased mine 2days ago with pool in the boot well. Gonna go trough the process in couple days.
My question is do i need to take apart plastic covers on both sides in the boot to examine leaks and does sealant needs to be applied somewhere there.
Beautiful little car but that smell and mould drives me crazy. Want to fix this and take it to full wallet... Give it some love again and if it lasts till MOT (october) its a keeper for some time if it doesn't fail with big price tag.

gtd2000

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 01:52:20 PM »
Gtd have you fixid your issue with jazz. I purchased mine 2days ago with pool in the boot well. Gonna go trough the process in couple days.
My question is do i need to take apart plastic covers on both sides in the boot to examine leaks and does sealant needs to be applied somewhere there.
Beautiful little car but that smell and mould drives me crazy. Want to fix this and take it to full wallet... Give it some love again and if it lasts till MOT (october) its a keeper for some time if it doesn't fail with big price tag.

I did this job on the previous Jazz "02" plate, which my GF owned. All I had to do was remove the black plastic strips on the roof, clean the channel out, then gave it a liberal coating of Hammerite paint. There was no further water in the boot for the next five years or so.

This time, on her "56" plate Jazz, I've now gone well beyond the simple fix on the "02".

As it's now dry and sunny outside, I'm going to have a better look to see if I can find the water ingress points.

I'll probably video it and post my findings.

I'll let you know later on this afternoon how things went.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:54:13 PM by gtd2000 »

Hopipola

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 Jazz SE 2004
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 02:07:36 PM »
GTD thanks for clarifying!

gtd2000

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
Well the GF was moaning about the hose to do a check for the water leak. I had something of a sense of humour failure, so I advised her to fix the car herself.

It might be somewhat longer before I can provide an update on this matter.  >:(

From what I can tell, the water might be running down behind the seal and then collecting at the flat part of the door lip under the plastic cover.

gtd2000

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 04:22:47 PM »
Well I removed the boot seal and it's been pouring with rain pretty much all day and the same for tomorrow according to the weather forecast.

Had a look in the wheel well - bone dry...... :o

I guess that means it's not a problem with the sealing of the panels up near the gutter and certainly rules out the now sealed strut bolt bracket.

I've just reinstalled the boot seal to see if water starts running into the wheel well.... :-X

gtd2000

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 09:57:21 PM »
Had a look after a couple of hours of having the boot seal reinstalled...

Water in the boot!

I've taken video of all of this so far.

I did notice a nick in the lower left, centre area of the boot seal but wouldn't expect this to be the cause of the water ingress? It's meant to be constant rain today and tomorrow but I'll have another look, hopefully, on Thursday, weather permitting.

Any ideas where else I should be looking?

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 11:00:19 PM »
When i did the 1st coating of sealant it still did had a bit of water, and i had applied a 2nd coating afterwards and since then no rain water.

Tags: