Author Topic: Front brake caliper replacement  (Read 7307 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Front brake discs and caliper replacement
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2021, 07:31:20 PM »
I just used to do them with the Ronson torch but you can to them on an electric cooker. Just don't let the wife see you.

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 04:34:10 PM »
I've taken delivery of some banjo washers but I failed to check the size before ordering off eBay when I searched for Honda banjo washers.

Made by HEL.  m10, 14.8 mm outer diameter and about 1.2mm thick.

My concern is the 14.8 mm diameter.  Is that too small? 
I thought they are normally 16 mm?

I would have thought the bigger the diameter, the better at 'sealing' ?

I also thought I read Honda may be use aluminium/steel? washers, and it's been suggested these are less prone to leaking?   See this YT video for 1999 Acura and fast forward to 2min30s.
https://youtu.be/iKTW7Z7Mv9A

I don't know at this time if the banjo washers are copper or aluminium on the Jazz (Update:  alumnium)

Regarding my order with Carparts4less for the Pagid remanufactured brake caliper. I've ordered it 3 times so far using different payment methods (inc. paypal where I have funds in the account) since yesterday morning. I have to contact them to discover payment has failed every time when order status is stuck at 'Received'.  Speculate the pricing glitch on their website is preventing payment from being completed each time?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:14:05 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 05:38:42 PM »
Regarding my order with Carparts4less for the Pagid remanufactured brake caliper. I've just had to order it 3 times so far using different payment methods since yesterday, and I think it's about to fail again.  Looks like the pricing glitch on their website is preventing payment from being completed each time.

That is odd. I've ordered from them once a month of late, and never had an issue. My experience of CP4L has been that they are an excellent company, get the order correct and deliver promptly.

I replaced the NSF caliper on our other car, Vauxhall Astra, and ordered a new one from Ebay. It was a Juratek make and cost £28. No surcharge and works really well. Actualy very impressed with the quality of the caliper. The seller was "carpartsinmotion".

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 06:04:49 PM »
A couple of days ago, I ordered a tap insert from a company, and their pay system didn't work. As I couldn't source the part elsewhere I emailed them and got a reply later in the day to say there had been an issue that morning, Perhaps something like that occurred. Ordered there and then and no problems. Part arrived this afternoon.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 06:30:21 PM »
I also thought I read Honda may be use aluminium/steel? washers, and it's been suggested these are less prone to leaking?   See this YT video for 1999 Acura and fast forward to 2min30s.
https://youtu.be/iKTW7Z7Mv9A

I don't know at this time if the banjo washers are copper or steel on the Jazz

Definitely use copper on the brake lines, nothing else. Aluminium washers are used on the engine/gearbox sumps only.

Around 15mm OD is about normal, you don't want them to foul the casting.

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 06:51:37 PM »
I've ordered from CP4less perhaps once a year on average and they generally are fine for normal service items like oil, filters, wipers etc.

I have observed there seems a total lack of communication from them after placing orders.  Most other online retailers send an email to notify order has been dispatched, or an item may be delayed.   Don't seem to get this from CP4less.

UKjim suggested calipers from 'advantageautopartsltd' ebay seller.

Westy36 suggests Juratek calipers from 'carpartsinmotion'.  Juratek do have a UK website.

As the front brakes do all the hard work, I don't really wish to skimp on poorly engineered 3rd party calipers, and have no immediate plans to sell the Jazz.   Lings Honda lists front and rears at circa £250 each but that's for everything (caliper, carrier, guides etc), except for banjo washers! (£7 each?)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:08:10 PM by bill888 »

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Front brake discs and caliper replacement
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 07:18:02 PM »
I don’t think you will find any problem with 3rd part calipers, I compared a brand new Honda front with a 3rd party and TBH I couldn’t tell the difference.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 07:31:22 PM »
When I fitted two on the front, I just fitted the cheapest I could find, after all, the car only cost £625.

They have been absolutely fine, no problems at all.

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2021, 06:52:23 AM »
Enquiring next about brake calipers sold by 'Brakes International' after seeing them mentioned on a couple of other UK car forums including civinfo.com.   They seem to seem to sell repair kits and remanufactured calipers from Budweg,  or new 3rd party calipers from FTE for £53 each.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2021, 07:53:05 AM »
Personally, I go to my local motor factor and buy what they have in stock. Never had an issue though I remember when I worked for TMS, we had one "remanufactured" calliper returned because it wouldn't bleed and they just handed the guy another there and then. A lot to be said for shopping local.
And be aware, we now have to pay duty and VAT on stuff coming in from the EU. And it's not the tax that's the killer but the Royal Mail £12 handling charge (different amounts for different delivery companies).

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2021, 07:55:04 AM »
Re seller quoted above "Carpartsinmotion”, I've used them many times on Ebay, always good service, always cheap.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 07:58:13 AM by MicktheMonster »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2021, 10:01:38 AM »
Enquiring next about brake calipers sold by 'Brakes International' after seeing them mentioned on a couple of other UK car forums including civinfo.com.   They seem to seem to sell repair kits and remanufactured calipers from Budweg,  or new 3rd party calipers from FTE for £53 each.

I've used https://brakeparts.co.uk/ several times, same company. Excellent service, quality parts and they stock just about everything.

There's some logic in refurbishing original calipers, rather than pay the obscene prices for a new one. However, if does take some time and effort to make a decent job of it. If you are happy with a aftermarket caliper, it makes it an easy job, no snags, and you know it will work.

bill888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2021, 10:02:59 AM »
Earlier, I finally placed an order with Brakes International for a pair of new 'Bremtech' (Brakes Engineering, TRW) at £54 each, plus some other bits.  They were out of stock of of Budweg remanufactured calipers at £64 each.   Also there website states they may also source calipers from Apec and FTE.   brakeparts.co.uk 

(Update:  They are also on eBay UK as seller 'brakesint') which works out a bit cheaper too!

Yes, I know it's more expensive than all the other eBay options for new 3rd party calipers.  I'd rather put my trust in a known brand like TRW when it comes to something like the car's braking system when buying 3rd party parts.

I'll post some photos later when they are delivered.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:52:55 PM by bill888 »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2021, 10:45:41 AM »
Personally, I go to my local motor factor and buy what they have in stock. Never had an issue though I remember when I worked for TMS, we had one "remanufactured" calliper returned because it wouldn't bleed and they just handed the guy another there and then. A lot to be said for shopping local.
And be aware, we now have to pay duty and VAT on stuff coming in from the EU. And it's not the tax that's the killer but the Royal Mail £12 handling charge (different amounts for different delivery companies).
That is a good point. When I needed new discs & pads for the Astra, I thought I would try the 3 local factors in town. Cheapest quote £75 VS £42.89 at CP4L. Had they have been close on price, I would have preferred to support a local firm.

Weirdly CP4L were £4 cheaper than Euros, which makes no sense given they are the same firm.  I live half a mile away from a Euros Car Parts, which is very handy if I need something straight away or only one item, but use CP4L and Ebay because of price.

I think Sparkypaul should be group buyer. I thought I was doing well with my £9.98 oil & filter change last week, but he smashed it down to £9.20 IIRC.  ;D :P

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2021, 11:19:59 AM »
Weirdly CP4L were £4 cheaper than Euros, which makes no sense given they are the same firm.  I live half a mile away from a Euros Car Parts, which is very handy if I need something straight away or only one item, but use CP4L and Ebay because of price.

CP4L have no physical outlets, it's mail order only.

Tags:

anything