Author Topic: Wheel Nuts  (Read 4362 times)

guest5355

Wheel Nuts
« on: November 30, 2015, 12:29:14 AM »
Hi. Please accept my apologies if this question has been ask before,
 I with the advice of the forum bought some 15" Mini One steel wheels as they were the same dimensions, offset/bore etc. as my Jazz.  A local tyre shop fitted winter tyres for me on the 15" wheels and I was told that the wheel nuts fitted as standard to the EX Jazz, 16" alloys (2012 CVT) should not be used with the steel wheels.  (confused is me)
 Advice please &  please be gentle with me as I'm not a technical type person. I don't want to break the law.
[/b][/b][/b]

guest5770

• Topic Starter
Re: Wheel Nuts
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:26:21 AM »
It isn't so much a case as breaking the law, but the nuts are probably the wrong shape to fit the steel wheels. You need to get a  set of nuts designed for the steel wheels.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:29:07 AM »
Yep, you got to have the right shaped nuts. :-)) :-))

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

guest4324

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »
I've been using the alloy wheel nuts on steel wheels since many years including now on the Jazz and have never had any problems, including MOT. I am at work at the mo but if I remember I will take a photo this evening. You shouldn't use steel wheel nuts on alloys as they can damage the wheel but vice versa is no problem.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 02:59:02 PM »
I've been using the alloy wheel nuts on steel wheels since many years including now on the Jazz and have never had any problems, including MOT. I am at work at the mo but if I remember I will take a photo this evening. You shouldn't use steel wheel nuts on alloys as they can damage the wheel but vice versa is no problem.

The wheel nuts that came on my EX with 16" alloys are fitted with steel wheel nuts.
It is the shape of the seat where the nut touches the wheel that is important. both should match. If they don't match, that is what would cause damage.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 05:57:22 PM »
You'll find that on most modern cars the wheelnuts are a 60degree conical taper type regardless of steel or alloy wheels (motor manufacturers tend to standardise to keep their costs down).  I use same nuts for winter steel and summer alloy wheels on my wifes Jazz.  There are other types like a semi-circular dished type,  a good tip is to put a thin smear of copper grease onto the taper hole in the rim and push nut into the hole and twist it,  pull it back out and if the grease has wiped off onto the nut taper and is a nice even covering all over that's a good sign as the shapes match, be sure to wipe the grease off the nut and  out of the taper before finally fixing the wheel on though, the taper should be dry when assembled, although a thin smear on the thread won't hurt (especially on an 'open' nut, but with a fully enclosed 'acorn' nut the water won't get in and rust the thread anyway so not so much need of grease)..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:26:30 PM »
Yep, you got to have the right shaped nuts. :-)) :-))

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

At my age, any shape is acceptable, good news they've not gone rusty  (yet) ..      <{:o)

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »
You'll find that on most modern cars the wheelnuts are a 60degree conical taper type regardless of steel or alloy wheels (motor manufacturers tend to standardise to keep their costs down).  I use same nuts for winter steel and summer alloy wheels on my wifes Jazz.  There are other types like a semi-circular dished type,  a good tip is to put a thin smear of copper grease onto the taper hole in the rim and push nut into the hole and twist it,  pull it back out and if the grease has wiped off onto the nut taper and is a nice even covering all over that's a good sign as the shapes match, be sure to wipe the grease off the nut and  out of the taper before finally fixing the wheel on though, the taper should be dry when assembled, although a thin smear on the thread won't hurt (especially on an 'open' nut, but with a fully enclosed 'acorn' nut the water won't get in and rust the thread anyway so not so much need of grease)..

Thank you for the advice, the Mini One wheels are also 60 degrees.
I have just found out about a company called Wheel Parts Direct, that are about 3 miles form me and they stock just about every size needed. I going to buy a set that includes 4 locking nuts for £15.99.  That way I don't have to worry about all the salt ruining my alloy wheel nuts.
A Big Thank you to you all for the advice given.
[/b][/b][/b]

guest907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 11:03:26 PM »
Same wheel nuts for standard alloy and spacesaver (steel).

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
Same wheel nuts for standard alloy and spacesaver (steel).

Thank you. Now why didn't I think of that,-- easy answer, my brain has gone on holiday without me!

Tags: