Author Topic: too much road noise  (Read 12607 times)

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4l Honda Jazz 2013 Toffee Apple Red - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
too much road noise
« on: September 25, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »
Hi,
I'm happy enough with my 2004 jazz but it makes a terrible racket when on the motorway, it's not the car but roadnoise. Does the 2nd gen filter it out any better? (i'm using quality cross climate+ tyres so theyre not the issue).

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: too much road noise
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:57:31 AM »
I thought the Jazz was fairly quiet for a small car.

What sort of a noise is it? Does it sound like tyre noise?

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 12:00:41 PM »
Its like driving with the windows slightly open, even when theyre not. It just seems to be noise and vibration coming through from the road surface at speed.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
On the motorway road noise is the loudest thing you hear in my Jazz.

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 02:55:01 PM »
I was wondering if Honda did something about it on the 2009+ jazz?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »
Hi,
I'm happy enough with my 2004 jazz but it makes a terrible racket when on the motorway, it's not the car but roadnoise. Does the 2nd gen filter it out any better? (i'm using quality cross climate+ tyres so theyre not the issue).

The only thing touching the road is the tyres, there is a massive difference in road noise between different tyres. Combination of tyres and road surface, on some surfaces even otherwise quiet tyres can make a tidy racket..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 04:30:52 PM »
The later car is a more modern design, so you would think that things would have moved on a bit. That said, I still don't consider our Jazz a noisy car. Even at 70-75mph, I certainly wouldn't call it a 'terrible racket'.

I notice you have Michelin CrossClimate tyres on, which will not help. Directional tyres are quite a lot noisier than symmetrical or asymmetric tyres, especially as they wear down.

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 07:10:20 PM »
Has anyone here tried replacing their jazz carpet? If i did that i could put sound deadening rubber under it and in door panels. Cheaper than upgrading to newer car just to reduce noise.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 08:30:47 PM »
Why not try a non-directional tyre when the time comes?

The noise is the reason I avoid directional tyres. In fact, the last ones I had on the rear of our other car drove me mad, so I took them off before they were worn out. At one point, I had convinced myself that the rear wheel bearings were the source, but swapping the front wheels with the back ones moved the noise to the front axle. A pair of new (asymmetrical) tyres solved the problem.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 09:38:04 PM »
My Nokian WR-D3 winters are quieter than some summer tyres I have had. I have Avon summers on Civic and Jazz and they are quiet and grippy only time will tell how they wear but I will measure tread depth when I take them off to put Nokians on at end of October.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 09:53:37 PM »
Only got them this march, shouldn't need changed for a few years. Car had four random nearly worn out tyres on it when i got it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »
Car had four random nearly worn out tyres on it when i got it.

...but were they quieter?  ???

As I say, I avoid anything directional now. Don't get me wrong, some are okay, but some are horribly noisy. I think the CrossClimate tyres are known for being quite a noisy tyre.

It could be something else, you might have a wheel bearing on it's way, or a bush gone. It doesn't take much to transmit noise through to the shell. It's just that our Jazz has never struck me as a noisy car.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 09:41:25 AM »
As I said earlier, in my Jazz road noise is the biggest sound on the motorway, but it is no way what I would call noisy. Car is really pretty quiet. CrossClimate tyres tyres are, at 68db, one of the quieter tyres out there. My new Yokohama tyre is 68db and I chose it because of the low noise.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »
Jazz never struck me as a noisy car, I have had tyres in the past on newish cars ( OE fitted tyres ) that have been very noisy and as soon as they wore out I replaced them with quieter ones and difference was huge - why do car makers fit noisy tyres as OE ? Many of the complaints from reviewers are about road noise and for people reading reviews it can be the difference between buying a car or not.   It is only on some particularly rough road surfaces that road noise is intrusive,  on majority of roads hardly notice it.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 11:40:00 AM »
Hi,

The very early Jazz's did have some suspension mounts changed but I think that was to do with harshness rather than noise.    We had a 53 reg and were assured it had the new mounts so your 2004 should have them.

I put Cross-Climate tyres on daughters Golf and thought they were quiet.

There's a website where someone went a bit bonkers soundproofing a Jazz - http://www.hondafitjazz.com/dead2.html

I'd say our mk2's are much quieter and altogether more comfortable.  I had a basic mk3 the other day as a courtesy car and that was noisy, and very cheap feeing.

Tags: