Author Topic: runs then stops  (Read 4587 times)

guest7946

runs then stops
« on: September 25, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »
hi all after putting a new motor in my 02 1.5 ltr jazz every thing is connected as it should be it starts and runs for about 10 seconds then stops
once it starts even with the throttle done it still cuts out
any help would be appreciated

cheers

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: runs then stops
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:30:16 AM »
I take it there are no codes showing up? Sounds like a classic case of fuel starvation, though I don't know how likely that is in these days of fuel injection and high pressure pumps!

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
 i haven't got a code reader at the moment but it does look like fuel issues but how does the air get out of the line there doent seem to be a return line on the fuel rail

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »
Can't add much more, getting any fault codes read would probably be a good start. Any cheap basic EOBD/OBDII code reader will help diagnose any engine  problems, but they will only connect to the engine ECU, and not to any other systems on the car.

If you get air in the system, it should bleed itself through the injectors.

Is it a cough-splutter type stop, or a dead cut out?

Possible fuel starvation, as Jocko says. Could be fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuse, blocked fuel filter, etc.. Could also be something unrelated, crank sensor maybe, this should show up as a trouble code.

Also consider immobiliser - I'm not sure if the Jazz immobiliser cuts ignition, or fuel pump - some cars which cut the latter exhibit similar symptoms when the immobiliser is not disarmed.

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »
its a dead stop fuel pump seems to be ok you can hear it start then stop when you turn key on

the other motor ran fine untill the cam chain snapped and that was only a week ago so hasnt been sitting i was told the motor would just bolt in without any issues

when it does start it sounds and runs great then stops and some times it can take a couple of goes to get it going
how long would it take to get air out of the system im used to fuel rails with retune lines

and thanks for your help so far

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »
Any volumes of air which would stop it running at all should be expelled quickly through the injectors, because it's gas it passes through quickly. You may then get some spluttering for a minute or so, but not normally enough to stop the engine.

Does it run for the same length of time each time it does start? Would you say exactly, more or less, or not at all?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
The immobiliser disables the fuel pump. Perhaps it allows the pump to charge the fuel rail then turns the pump off. Once the pressure of the fuel in the fuel rail drops the engine will stop. Did you swap the ECU with the engine? If so it may be worth trying your original ECU. I certainly sounds like something you changed when you swapped the engine. Or have you just left something disconnected? Maybe a sensor somewhere.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 10:25:42 AM »
The immobiliser disables the fuel pump. Perhaps it allows the pump to charge the fuel rail then turns the pump off. Once the pressure of the fuel in the fuel rail drops the engine will stop.

If it is that type, then that's pretty much how many of them work. The fuel rail is initially charged and the engine will start, if the BECM doesn't then receive the correct response from the immobiliser within a fixed time, it tells the engine ECU to shut down.

When swapping out engines, it's best to swap only the bare engine, if you start mixing and matching with engine electrics you can run into problems with coded parts. Swap nothing, or swap everything - including the ECUs and immobiliser ring, etc., etc.... well, everything. As Jocko says, it may just be something you have forget to reconnect.

Getting a code reader on it is the answer, or you could be going round in circles for days. If it's a sensor or something, an OBDII reader will probably sort you out. If it's a BECM related issue, you may get enough clues from OBDII to figure out what's happening, but you may need Honda HDS.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:27:13 AM by sparky Paul »

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »
thanks more things to check

the motor cam with every thing on it so i just changed it over leaving all censers on the new motor as it came with them so if it is a censor issue with the ecu which one would be more of an issue
i didnt change the ecu and didnt get one with the motor as didnt want to have immobiliser issues 

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 11:52:50 AM »
The first pic is of the original  part with 1 electrical plug

The 2nd pic is what cam with the motor with 2 plugs

The original  wiring loom with the car only has 1 plug so will change part over and see if this works

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »
Anything that isn't a simple inductive sensor I would swap, and in particular anything that is in any way different.

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 04:22:36 AM »
Ok so i have replaced crank cender put on origanal fuel rail and injectors and all plug in parts with air flow still doing same thing

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 09:22:08 AM »
Aaargh.

I would think your next step is a cheap OBDII reader. Hopefully, it should throw some fault code/s up, but if it is immobiliser related, you may need Honda HDS or clone.

guest7946

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 09:33:39 AM »
Hi all i managed to get a code reader from one of our mechanics and he cleared all codes for me and then rescaned
codes that came up was po118 wont clear  and   ect sencor1 high  so where do i go from here

cheers all your help has been great

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 09:43:11 AM »
po118 is engine coolant temperature, so swap over the temperature sensor from the old block.

Tags:

anything