Author Topic: How long does it take to change a clutch in a mk 3?  (Read 6552 times)

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: How long does it take to change a clutch in a mk 3?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »
Correct. One of the touted benefits of the revised CVT when they brought it back was a torque converter. Can't say I've noticed much difference but apparently some found the clutch unreliable and the TC supposedly gets us off the line faster.
Two benefits push towards the torque converter: first, the smoothness, second, the TC acts as a torque multiplier during first moments after you press the gas pedal, so the response is faster.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 03:49:21 PM »
In fact p****d of with them and Honda generally.....not what they used to be.

Yes, I think they're not the company they used to be, and newish dealer in our area is hateful.

Can't see us having another - they had an outside chance at the last car change in our family to impress us with HR-V but not having the car when they said would isn't a great way to win friends and influence people.

To be fair, the dealers we use are all pretty rubbish - I've given up and mainly go to indies now.  But Honda was always different.  Now they're amongst the worst.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:50:45 PM by Rory »

SteveOne

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz ES+ CVT
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 04:34:25 PM »
So the OP's car is getting a new clutch and a new flywheel  :o
Does this mean that the Mk3 has a DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) ?  Does the Mk2 also have a DMF ?
Does the CVT version also have a DMF ?
Why would Honda put a DMF into a small-engined 4 cylinder petrol car ?

I really would not think that they would be looking to replace a single-mass flywheel.

guest6630

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
The mk3 does indeed have s dual mass flywheel, not sure about the mk2. I am sure most if not all modern cars now are fitted with dual mass flywheels as an aid to smooth gearchanging and less vibration, thats the irony! After my initial complaint and some software updates that did not cure the fault the clutch only was replaced by the dealer at about 4000 miles although l did suggest at the time that the flywheel could be the cause but my suggestion was disregarded.  The car has now coverd 8600 miles.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 11:05:55 AM »
Dual mass flywheel in a 1.3 petrol engine?????
Very very strange solution.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
Surely dual mass flywheels are only fitted to diesel engines, they are meant to smooth out the diesel's low revs pulses which lead to low revs vibration.
Ford have a poor history of DMF failures.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
The mk3 does indeed have s dual mass flywheel, not sure about the mk2. I am sure most if not all modern cars now are fitted with dual mass flywheels as an aid to smooth gearchanging and less vibration, thats the irony! After my initial complaint and some software updates that did not cure the fault the clutch only was replaced by the dealer at about 4000 miles although l did suggest at the time that the flywheel could be the cause but my suggestion was disregarded.  The car has now coverd 8600 miles.

Honda must be losing the plot fitting a dual mass flywheel to a small petrol engine,  they are one of the main problems with diesels and normally fall apart every 40K or so. If it is a DMF it could explain the problems they are having.  DMF fitted to diesels to try to level out the low rev (the only revs you get on a diesel) pulsing power you get and to act as a shock absorber between engine and geartrain to ensure gearbox does not need replacing every 40K.  Fitting one to a petrol engine is sheer madness, I have never had a problem with any Honda clutch - maybe another reason not to buy a MK3 ???
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Twd99

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2018, 02:57:35 PM »
Clutch on jazz is definitely a problem. The clutch and gearbox dear by seems to work together very well. Changing from 1st to 2nd gear is always a non smooth transition.
Luckily my does not judder.

I suspect the reason why clutch is on back order is because mechanics have not diagnosed the creaky noise problem as they car is pulled away and indict the clutch.
It must be an expensive warranty claims for Honda.

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 07:08:49 PM »
Clutch on jazz is definitely a problem. The clutch and gearbox dear by seems to work together very well. Changing from 1st to 2nd gear is always a non smooth transition.

I suspect the reason why clutch is on back order is because mechanics have not diagnosed the creaky noise problem as they car is pulled away and indict the clutch.
Guess this could be a good reason to buy a CVT...

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 07:40:57 PM »
... mechanics have not diagnosed the creaky noise problem as they car is pulled away and indict the clutch.
Honda's standard response to the creak-when-pulling-away problem is to replace a transmission mount, which does indeed seem to mitigate it although it can take more than one replacement. Are you aware of any instances of clutch replacement for this issue ? If so, please provide details (by PM if appropriate), they could be useful for those of us with the problem.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »

Guess this could be a good reason to buy a CVT...
Not that we needed another reason. Leaving mechanical drudgery to a stupid computer ought to be enough :)

guest6630

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
Hi all, just in case anybody is interested still have not got the car back, estimated arrival of clutch plate now Friday 28th!!  Fed up now, Honda need to pull their socks up a bit if they want to keep customers.

guest6630

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2018, 08:27:56 PM »
Hi all, further update for anyone interested. Have finaly got the car back (yesterday) a new and different clutch plate as well as flywheel has been fitted and car is now perfect with no juddering at all. Very happy after the long wait and all the nagging at the dealer to do something, l now feel l can actually enjoy the car at last having owned it for nearly two years.
I have posted this as after speaking to the service manager it seams that this is not an uncommon problem. If anyone else is suffering this fault then speak to your dealer as Honda will by now realize that there is a defect that can be rectified. I doubt it would qualify for a recall though. Thanks for listening!!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
Excellent outcome. Eventually!

guest7368

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2018, 11:57:12 PM »
That is fantastic news, Im so pleased its fixed.
I will take mine in now, because the judder puts me off parking on any hill at all.

Glad the result was worth the wait.

Tags:

anything