Author Topic: Rear pads  (Read 2539 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Rear pads
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
Hi

Anyone got a schematic of the rear brake/handbrake set up, going to try and improve handbrake, change pads and clean up discs.

mike

2010 1.4 i-shift

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Rear pads
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:23:41 AM »
When I bought my Jazz I was warned by the trader (a time-served Honda mechanic), that the handbrake on the Jazz was "not the best". His advice to me was, "Always apply the footbrake firmly, before applying the handbrake". I have followed that advice, religiously, and never had the least bit of bother.

guest5715

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 11:59:04 AM »
Not had an issue with our 09 handbrake which is on 100k miles. I'm about to change discs and pads through wear. From experience on previous cars with the same setup, it is critical to reset the calipers correctly following work if you want the handbrake to be efficient, so you may benefit from cleaning and resetting them so you know they're done correctly. Also, a cable only needs to have slight corrosion internally for it to affect operation so I've learned to be pay close attention when checking them.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:43:46 PM »
Hand brakes on disc pads never work as well as drum brakes.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 07:37:19 PM »
I replaced the rear pads on mine and carefully greased all mating surfaces with silicon grease. Result - handbrake is superb..  Will hold car on 1 in 3 hill.

guest5079

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
The rear disc hand brake on our Rover had to be set up in a very precise manner. I suspect as the Rover was basically a Honda the same applies to the Jazz.
The online manual should describe the set up, If  remember correctly both rear wheels have to be off the ground, The lever on top of the caliper must be fully home against it's stop. Remove the central cover in the car. Then carefully adjust the nuts on the hand brake lever until with one notch on the lever the brakes should just be dragging. It is barely noticeable, Of course all slide pins must be free and the pads must be free in the caliper.
I too was warned about the handbrake, although I do leave the car in reverse, to cover my backside with insurance company given the so called problem with the Jazz handbrake. I have never felt the car move with the hand brake applied as Jocko states no matter how steep the slope.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »
I adjusted nothing when I changed the rear pads.

TonyS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.4 EX
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »
Same as Madasafish, changed nothing after a rear pad change, it's just the rear pads are a bit of a PITA to do compared to the fronts.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 08:17:02 PM »
I adjusted nothing when I changed the rear pads.

Neither did I - and I have replaced more than than on set on both Jazz and Civics - the only thing I did was make sure that one of the cross slots in end of cylinder were horizontal to line up with raised pips on back of rear cylinder side pad (don't know how important that is because I guess they would seat after a while anyway). 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
I was not for one moment suggesting that one had to adjust the handbrake when renewing pads. It was merely the fact of upgrading the handbrake being mentioned.
If it was being problematic then after pads/slider pins being checked.
I only adjusted the handbrake once on the Rover in 6 yrs.
To change the pads or infact check that everything is OK, I found by bitter experience that removing the bolt that secures the handbrake cable to the suspension arm is essential, otherwise it is nye on impossible to get the pads out.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:46:20 AM by Jocko »

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift