Author Topic: Are fog lights worth adding?  (Read 35822 times)

Marshal

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Are fog lights worth adding?
« on: August 27, 2017, 11:01:28 AM »
Just getting ready to get the Mk3 after being very happy with my MK2 for 5 years. Going for the middle spec but wondered about fog lights. I do a lot of driving 'over the tops' (as we say around here) so encounter a lot of fog which, on windy Peak District roads can be scary. Anyone with the front fog lights have any opinion on whether they are worth it?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:47:07 PM by Marshal »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Are fog lights worth adding?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »
They do help illuminate the road verge so in narrow country lanes they are useful. Also Honda have redesigned them from previous models and they don't seem to be so easily broken. I lost on fog on my Mk2 within two months and the other had to be removed at my second service because it was hanging off. Not even as if I drive on rough roads - just a really flimsy construction. What really irritated me was the cost of replacing them - not far off a grand for the pair.

But the fogs on my Mk3 are still fine and solid after 18 months. If you drive a lot on unlit country lanes when it's foggy I'd recommend them.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:13:27 AM by andruec »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 11:12:43 AM »
I have the EX, fog lights as standard.
The short answer is no.
Many years ago when fitting fog lights they had a flat topped penetrating beam, so you could turn off the headlights (to reduce glare back) and the light from the fog lights would 'cut' under the fog and illuminate the road.
I tried these at night on a country lane by themselves!! I have better torches.
They do help fill out the dip/main beam but they are NOT fog lights.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 11:34:40 AM »
I have had front fogs on my previous three cars but on on my Mk3, and have not missed them.

Related comment, I wish they would put a rear fog light on both sides at the back instead of just offside. I think rear fogs much more important than front ones.

Rear fogs can be lifesavers on a motorway and putting on one side only feels cheapskate.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 07:53:09 PM »
"Are fog light worth adding?" If you like the looks of it, yes, they are, if you like them in the fog then i must say no, they are not much of a help.
We have them on our Jazz only because they were already on the car when we bought it.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »
I put laminated plastic film over them on our mkII's to reduce the likelihood of stones breaking them.  Didn't realise they cast as much as a previous poster suggested though - yikes!

They are useless though, but Jazz looks better with them.  Many cars these days use them as corning lamps - wife's Tiguan does this and it's quite effective when turning into out drive at night.  But apart from that, also pointless.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 11:41:17 AM »
I put laminated plastic film over them on our mkII's to reduce the likelihood of stones breaking them.  Didn't realise they cast as much as a previous poster suggested though - yikes!
It costs a lot more to have them replaced. Back in 2012 I was quoted around a grand to remove the remains of mine and install new ones. I hardly ever use them but contrary to other's experience I have seen the benefit when I've used them. On an unlit, unmarked country lane in thick fog they help restore peripheral vision. That means you can concentrate on the road ahead without having to keep looking at the verge. It also means that you can see the plague of potholes and failed verges that afflict those roads.

Would I pay extra for them? I don't know. I sure as hell wasn't going to pay a grand given that they were just as likely to break again. I've never actually asked for front fog lights, it's just that I've always bought a model that included them (CVT-7 Sport and two EXs). Based on how infrequently we get thick fog around here and how infrequently I drive country lanes at night, maybe not. Then again when I do drive on those lanes at night it's usually because the main road out of Banbury is blocked and I either drive those roads or wait two or three hours for traffic to clear. In addition to the fog there will be a lot of annoyed and impatient commuters all pratting about. Anything I can do to assist my own perception in those conditions may be worth it. £300 for front fogs sounds a lot - but a collision could easily cost more and be massively inconvenient.

So let's just say that I'm glad I have them on my car. They do have value.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »
I have no problem with people who use fog lights appropriately, some need fog lights, some 4X4, some winter tyres. Me, I don't need any of them, if conditions on the road are that bad I turn up the heating a notch, feet up in front of the TV, and probably fall asleep. I have done the bad weather stuff, I used to ski regularly. I can now choose when to travel. :-)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:05:40 PM by Deeps »

guest5079

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »
What ever the take on fog lights. Whilst perusing good old Ali Express, came across fog lights even with a part number that appeared something like a Honda part number at circa £30 each.
I broke one of the lugs on a fog light, when I was replacing all screws with s/s,
it might have been done prior to purchase but was able to repair with good old epoxy resin BUT a replacement fog light sans 'Garnish'  is £166  EACH

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 12:29:40 PM »
One way of repairing and re-enforcing ABS plastic is to cut up plumbing connectors or pipe and use solvent weld adhesive. All the plastics involved must be ABS, I have repaired broken headlamp mountings using this method. You have to ask for the solvent in the DIY sheds, it is not normally on display.

guest5079

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
Good tip,
Last pot I bought for a plumbing job was £9 and it doesn't keep.
But then I have some modelling glue which allegedly bonds ABS called Deluxe Materials Plastic Magic. It works by melting the two pieces together. That was £6 but it apparently doesn't go off.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 07:43:28 AM »
An old thread I know. But I yesterday I tried my front fog lights first time in dark. With head lights off and fog lights on I could see maybe 3 meters in front of the car. With that short visibility you cannot drive. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with them or are they simply completely joke. Could you please confirm if that is the case in your Jazzes too.

I remember integrated fog lights on my late dad's Mercedes in 80's giving a visibility for something like 30 meters including the roadsides.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 08:43:26 AM »
You should be able to drive ib fog with foglights on and headlights off. The idea behind foglights being mounted to low down is that they shine UNDER the fog whereas dipped headlights reflect into your face. A friend of mine had an old Jaguar, and when you switched the lights on there was a fourth position. Off - Side - Headlights - Fog lights with no headlights.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 02:22:13 PM »
on cars that had them i never found them of any use in fog at all, they are prone to damage from stones being so low and also if you have them fitted they will be subject to the MOT test

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 03:32:00 PM »
Modern fog lights are about as much use as a chocolate teapot unlike those that were available years ago and were designed for foggy conditions and had a low, flat, penetrating beam.
As they are an extra and not a legal requirement I don't think that they are subject to MoT test regulations.

Vic.

Tags: