Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 142704 times)

guest9814

Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #255 on: January 28, 2022, 09:47:56 AM »
I found another culprits  for poor fuel economy - rain and wet asphalt - on roads with speed limit 55 mph at speed 55 mph when asphalt wet and in rain i can only get 70 MPG, when there is no rain and asphalt is dry i can squize 80-85 MPG (on long trip of course)
I not remember that with gasoline car i had so big difference in fuel consumption in similar conditions.
But also  70MPG for me big difference - with my previus cars in town i can`t ahive more then 28MPG (Yaris 4 gear automatic 2001), 47MPG (Baleno 2018 5 manual gear ) 22 MPG (Vitara 2019 1.0l turbo 6 gear auto )

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #256 on: February 05, 2022, 11:02:47 AM »
I've found the MPG gauge in my EX to be almost spot on. Perhaps the 16" wheels help the calculations

The gauge was showing 50.3 mpg for a whole tank vs 50.5 calculated from the miles and litres added.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #257 on: February 05, 2022, 11:14:04 AM »
Mine has been a couple of MPG out as has all my Civics.

There must be a driving style or road condition/traffic congestion that gets it right whilst others are more difficult to compute.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #258 on: February 05, 2022, 12:21:39 PM »
My driving must be 90+ % motorway, so it's likely easier for it to work out on long trips.

The Honda app records the mpg ok, but the fuel used figure varies a lot.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #259 on: February 05, 2022, 01:08:32 PM »

There must be a driving style or road condition/traffic congestion that gets it right whilst others are more difficult to compute.

I think that must be right. With most cars I have owned the car's computer has been reliably about 4 mpg optimistic. I try to drive in as smooth a way as possible but there is no getting away from the fact that I am braking, stopping, accelerating almost constantly with the type of trip I do.

Mouse

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crossstar
« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2022, 02:48:52 PM »
First refuelling 465 miles, 30.65 litres so 69.3 mpg (car claimed 73 mpg).

Second refuelling 515 miles, 32.90 litres so 71.2 mpg (car claimed 75.1 mpg).

The "fibometer" appears to be about 5% optimistic - nothing new there!

I would try a different Garage. Our local garage was overcharging by 10% on their metering and were finally caught by Trading Standards.

guest9814

« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2022, 03:39:11 PM »

I think that must be right. With most cars I have owned the car's computer has been reliably about 4 mpg optimistic. I try to drive in as smooth a way as possible but there is no getting away from the fact that I am braking, stopping, accelerating almost constantly with the type of trip I do.

Give more space between you and car ahead to allow more time for braking or stop on traffic lights if that possible (not too much cars on road) start gentle deceleration if you see ahead red traffic light,  try to coast when that possible  -  use energy flow animation to understand when car starting regenerative braking, when you see green energy flow to battery slightly press gas pedal and monitor your speed - if you speed decreasing slowly on level road you coasting and almost not using energy, if you on downhill you will see fast acceleration but again you will not use energy
Jazz become super efficient when engine coolant warmed up to 70-80 Degrees C
In summer enough to drive maybe 5km to get engine warmed up, in winter this taking more time - in my case with +12 degrees C I need to drive 11km or more to get engine warmed up.

https://listers.co.uk/news/2014/07/10-ways-to-increase-your-hybrids-fuel

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2022, 07:45:13 PM »
My current driving style is to try to minimise use of the brake. Seeing a stop light ahead I take my foot off the pedal and try to reach the light as it changes. If I'm not using ACC I set the gear-lever to B.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2022, 05:24:03 AM »
Same here, my 1980's IAM tutor taught me a lot. Plus, my double deck PSV training included smoothness and planning ahead. You don't want to hit the brakes with standing passengers.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2022, 10:49:37 AM »
My current driving style is to try to minimise use of the brake. Seeing a stop light ahead I take my foot off the pedal and try to reach the light as it changes. If I'm not using ACC I set the gear-lever to B.

Yes - I try to do that. I'm also in Econ and B most of the time. I reckon I'm on about 49 mpg with this current tank. To be fair I'd be on late 30s in my Mk3 at this time of year with an overall mpg of just over 42 mpg. A huge chunk of my mpg must be the engine being on to keep me warm and the fact that I rarely reach optimum operating temperature.

I'm quite happy with this - I reckon the Mk4 will end up about 25% more efficient than my Mk3.

cee

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2021
« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2022, 03:47:33 PM »
Hi All,
Greetings to you All!
First post so please be gentle.
I have 2021 Jazz and something is off the the MPG and real consumption. According to the on board computer my car is doing around 57-59 MPG but at the same time I am only getting max 380 miles from the full tank. How is this possible? with that MPG i should be getting over 500miles from the tank. Did only 5 full tanks from new but 380 miles from full tank is consistent. Is something wrong or I am missing something? What are you guys getting from full tank?
Btw, this is my 4th Honda and second Jazz and I am very happy with the car just mildly concerned.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2022, 03:50:31 PM »
Have you calculated actual fuel put in v actual mileage covered to double check?

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2022, 03:54:21 PM »
380 miles per tank is all I get, but my average is around 50mpg.

There is some fuel left when the range reads zero, maybe up to a gallon but I always refill before 100 miles range is left as the last 100 miles drops quicker than it should do.

cee

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2021
« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2022, 04:11:14 PM »
HI,
yes i did, 37 liters in vs 380 miles that is less than 43 MPG. confusing...

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2022, 04:25:02 PM »
HI,
yes i did, 37 liters in vs 380 miles that is less than 43 MPG. confusing...

What conversion factor are you using?   37 litres is 8.13 gallons,    which over 380 miles is 46.7 mpg.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: