Author Topic: Connecting reverse cable for radio rear camera  (Read 3148 times)

john24ssj

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Honda Jazz 1.4 iV-Tech
Connecting reverse cable for radio rear camera
« on: August 09, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »
Hi all,

Just installed a Kenwood radio in my Honda Jazz and everything is lovely apart it would be nice for the radio to go into rear camera mode for when in reverse.
I got a semi-automatic Jazz, is there any way to connect the cable coming from the radio somewhere closer than get the cable all the way to the boot to plug it in to the reverse bulb?

Thank you

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Re: Connecting reverse cable for radio rear camera
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »
Hi,
Possibly you could locate the reverse light switch, could be in the gear selector linkage,
Chris

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 10:05:02 AM »
Hi

I could have misread or not understood fully sorry, but the rear camera would have to be connected to your head unit.

The long wire which plugs into your rear camera would/should have a red wire attached to it.

This red wire connects to your headunit by the wire labelled back on the head unit, which at camera end, connects to the red wire from the camera. Then you pick up power from the reverse light

If you are doing it differently, how are you going to stop the rear camera from been on all the time, which most rear parking cameras I think are not meant to be on all the time

Many thanks

John

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 05:58:38 PM »
Isn't there a fuse for the reversing light somewhere near the dash that you could pick up from? 
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 08:40:21 PM »
The fuse is live whether reverse is selected or not. It supplies the switch which, when reverse is selected, illuminates the reversing lights.

john24ssj

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

d2d4j that all makes sense but the camera is powered on from ignition so when the radio is powered so is the the camera as it can be used as a rear view camera to see behind you which driving. But when the (purple/white) radio cable  has power it switches radio view to the camera and also turns it into reverse mode which adds parking guide lines.

So currently I can use it to view what's behind me if I click on a button on the radio (but it will not give me parking assist stuff), what I want is a simple way to supply power to the radio (purple/white) cable when reverse gear is selected so it would automatically switch mode to rear view camera and turn on parking guide lines.

I just didn't fancy running cable all along the car to the brake switch light, I was hoping there was something closer to plug into.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:43:36 AM by john24ssj »

d2d4j

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »
Hi

Many thanks

To be honest, rather then taking parts apart I would run a cable to the reverse light - so it powers on BUT make sure the headunit is expecting a 12v feed first or you could damage your headunit

Have you checked your camera rca lead to see if there is a red wire already existent

If so, and your headunit expects 12v power on the lead to switch screens, all you need to do is extend the red wire to your reverse light wire in the rear light cluster (it is very tight though with no room)

I run my cable underneath the door bottom trim inside

I am sorry though, I am not an electrician so cannot help with where you would find reverse light power closer to headunit

As I said though, make sure you know your wires and power feeds of wires, or you might damage headunit

Many thanks and good luck

John

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 07:37:16 AM »
I just noticed in the Haynes that the reversing switch is under the bonnet. You have to remove the battery tray to get to it though.

john24ssj

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 08:38:53 PM »
Thanks springswood I shall have a look

d2d4j well the camera gets a power supply from head unit regardless because you can switch the camera at any time but it also seems expect a 12V to switch into reverse parking mode (Picture attached).

d2d4j

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 09:23:37 PM »
Hi

Many thanks

A thought, as our headunit has a rear camera and also an input for a forward camera for parking.

I say this because I got confused over rear camera input initially

Are you sure you have the camera in the correct input

Sorry, thinking about it, I think you have if you have tried the rear line and it shows rear camera picture with reverse lines

If you have not tried to power the reverse line with 12v to see what it shows, try it to make sure you see picture from rear camera

Many thanks

John

john24ssj

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 09:09:43 PM »
springswood would you be able to take a picture of the page from the haynes manual to give me a beter idea as where to find the switch? Thanks.

d2d4j I used the cable and put 12V through it and bam the head unit went straight into reverse parking move, so yes all it needs is positive 12V to it. Yes the camera is in the right input and it works exactly as it should. It's meant to receive power as the head unit receives power so you could manually switch to the rear camera at any time but parking mode is only activated when the purple/white cable receives 12v.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 10:38:03 AM by john24ssj »

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 07:48:02 AM »
The only picture, hope it helps.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 07:52:59 AM by springswood »