Author Topic: Jazz MK2 USB port cable - questions on how it works  (Read 9701 times)

michaelC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 2013
Jazz MK2 USB port cable - questions on how it works
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:38:44 PM »
Hello,
From the other threads, I've happily found out that you can buy the cable that plugs into the USB port on the Jazz mk2 dashboard fascia:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017G4IG6C/?coliid=I4KW0VR9FAKAE&colid=382WDJLEWILQ0&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

1) Does that work with the new iPhones etc, or is it limited to the classic iPods only?

2) If works with iPhones and iPod touch, are you limited to only the Music app?  OR can you output sound from Spotify and other apps?

3) When playing music, does the radio display show any music track details?  Artist and title? 

Because I've already bought an AUX output cable connecting to the lightning-audio jack dongle, I already have some way of playing music in the car.  I am curious to know if its worth spending another £10 on this cable so that I can control the music from the steering wheel, and see the track details on the display.

Cheers!

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
Re: Jazz MK2 USB port cable - questions on how it works
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 12:04:43 PM »
I've got a cable like that and just use a flash drive with the music on it. It does display the track etc info on the radio / CD player display, and the track up etc can be controlled from the steering wheel.

michaelC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 10:16:35 PM »
Ok so I just got it and man, what a bargain. OMG, what a difference it makes to audio quality! I used to have an AUX cable connected to lightning/audio jack dongle, and that sounded ok, until this came along.
Allows steering wheel control to skip track and raise/lower volume, but that’s it. Again, better than AUX cable and it’s even more limited controls (volume only). Although it defaults to the music on your iPod mode (or built in Music app in iOS) it will happily relay any output eg Spotify and allow same skip track controls too. Nice.

JMurphy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Mk2 Jazz 2012 SE
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:34:04 PM »
OK, having recently become the owner of a Mk2 Jazz I'm trying to sort out what works. I have a cable for the USB port but my question is:- Is this port only used for playing music through? Doesn't it do anything else? I never listen to music.
Cheers

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 01:51:46 PM »
OK, having recently become the owner of a Mk2 Jazz I'm trying to sort out what works. I have a cable for the USB port but my question is:- Is this port only used for playing music through? Doesn't it do anything else? I never listen to music.
Cheers
The USB port can also be used for charging mobile phones and maybe other devices too.

You maybe able to power a dashcam via the factory USB port, but these can (so I've read on other forums, not Jazz specific) fool dashcams into thinking they're plugged into a computer and go into disc mode.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 01:57:25 PM »
I run a dashcam and a satnav from the uSB socket at teh same time..(USB splitter). No issues..

Also charge LIPO batteries (RC helicopters)..via USB...

JMurphy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Mk2 Jazz 2012 SE
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 06:41:13 AM »
So, by plugging in the special Honda cable the USB port becomes a standard USB female socket that can be used to provide power for 'phone charging, sat. nav, etc etc. I suppose my question is: what else does it do/can it do that requires a special socket? Is it only because it links to the audio system? I have connected my iPhone via the special cable and all it says is "no music found", is that all it does?

michaelC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 07:19:37 PM »
So, by plugging in the special Honda cable the USB port becomes a standard USB female socket that can be used to provide power for 'phone charging, sat. nav, etc etc. I suppose my question is: what else does it do/can it do that requires a special socket? Is it only because it links to the audio system? I have connected my iPhone via the special cable and all it says is "no music found", is that all it does?
I suspect that the Honda Jazz can only look at the music section of your iPhone/iPod that is stored on your phone.  It won't be smart enough or updated enough to look at 3rd party apps like Spotify etc, even if you downloaded an album for offline use. 

TBH, afew months ago, this cable failed to work consistently for me :(  every now and then, the console would say it can't detect the USB cable.  No amount of wiggling allowss a constant connection.

So now I've given up and just use a Bluetooth receiver, connected to the AUX socket.  Poorer quality connection, but at least it allows some audio playback from anything broadcasting from the iphone.

Tags: