Author Topic: Mk3 model variance  (Read 2689 times)

vincereynard

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Milano Red 1.4 DSi SE
Mk3 model variance
« on: April 05, 2021, 06:13:06 PM »
Hello to all.  I haven't been here for some years.  I had a Mk1 for 3 years then it got borrowed by No1 son and I only see it fleetingly now! 
Anyway the Jazz was followe/d by a (whisper) Hyundai I10 that was available at a price that could not be ignored.
I'm now considering a (2019 /2020) Mk3 as a replacement 'cos the I10 is just too small and getting a bit weary.

I question is what are the difference between model?  I assume the S is the base /then the SE / then the Navi??

What are the differences?  The S is appreciable cheaper with steel wheels etc - so what?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Vince

N.B. I've found a previous answer to much the same question so should be Ok - Maybe?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 06:17:37 PM by vincereynard »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Mk3 model variance
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 09:52:21 AM »
It depends what you value.  I went for the SE mainly because of the parking sensors and electrically adjustable and retractable door mirrors, and there are useful additional automated safety systems.  I think there are also differences in the infotainment system/connectivity facilities, but I don't use these.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 10:40:31 AM »
Like Downsizer, I went for the SE (2018).
The spec is better than the S in quiet a number of useful ways, like those quoted in the above post, but one decisive item for me was the wheels. I don't like diamond cut alloys (generally speaking) and the EX having those in 16" put me off. The SE has silver coated 15".
The SE has more knobs and whistles than I really need or want, I didn't want a Navi either.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:49:27 AM »
I went for the EX Navi because I like all the things previous posters didn't.

I love the 16" Diamond cut alloys and the way they fill the arches. Diamond Cut though do need to be carefully looked after to prevent the dreaded white worm.

Mine is CVT and the steering column paddle shift is brilliant once you're used to them especially when overtaking. Not that the 1.3 will overtake much. ;D

The built in nav while not the best is easy to use but I'm not keen on the lane departure warning and road sign recognition.

One of the very best additions to the EX is the reversing camera which makes negotiating even the trickiest manoeuvre a doddle.

Auto lights take a bit of getting used to, not being able to disable them in darker weather and I've had better rain sensing wipers.

This is my first Jazz and  I absolutely love it.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 12:00:49 PM »
If you are happy with 1.3 litre engine I'd suggest lowest trim level in order to stay away from annoying bells and whistles. I assume S trim level is pretty much same as Trend here, and it does not include collision warning, lane departure warning, traffic sign recognition, parking sensors nor high beam automatic.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 12:34:51 PM »
If you are happy with 1.3 litre engine I'd suggest lowest trim level in order to stay away from annoying bells and whistles. I assume S trim level is pretty much same as Trend here, and it does not include collision warning, lane departure warning, traffic sign recognition, parking sensors nor high beam automatic.

Yes I believe in the UK if you want a basic spec car you do only get the option of 1.3. It's a fine engine for every day driving, okay on the motorway but if you want to really get a move on it's not interested  :D

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 01:52:34 PM »
130 hp is nice, but if you want 1,5 litre, there is only one trim level.
If that would have been possible, I'd picked basic spec car with 1,5 litre engine.

vincereynard

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Milano Red 1.4 DSi SE
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 06:48:45 PM »
Many thanks for the replies.

Discounting the Sport,  the SatNav is only available on the SE or EX and it's a Garmin system?

I have a separate Garmin and its pretty rubbish.   Is the one fitted any good or can you connect a phone to display GoogleMaps etc?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:05:07 PM by vincereynard »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 04:44:54 PM »
... can you connect a phone to display GoogleMaps etc?

The technology on the Mk3 that ought to permit this is called MirrorLink. I suggest you do a forum search on that term to find the many other threads on this topic. Short version: very few people, if any, seem to have been able to get that to work. Best guess for the reason seems to be that the latest version of that software (which you'll find on phones) is not backwards-compatible with the earlier version you'll find on the car. It's much easier to get a decent phone holder and just use the phone screen for navigation (the maps'll be more up-to-date as well).

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 05:03:34 PM »
Just on sat navs more generally, some car makers are doing away with built in ones in favour of Apple Car Play, Android Auto and the like. Pretty sure the new Yaris has no built in sat nav (could be wrong). As Colin says you will always have up to date maps if you use your phone.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 07:58:18 PM »
It's much easier to get a decent phone holder and just use the phone screen for navigation (the maps'll be more up-to-date as well).
I've just done that today.

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 10:49:40 PM »
...... It's much easier to get a decent phone holder and just use the phone screen for navigation .........
Just worth a note to remind folk of the new laws regarding mobile phones while driving. If it's in a cradle you are OK but everything else ...................... just be careful.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 08:32:16 AM »
...... It's much easier to get a decent phone holder and just use the phone screen for navigation .........
Just worth a note to remind folk of the new laws regarding mobile phones while driving. If it's in a cradle you are OK but everything else ...................... just be careful.

I don’t think there are any “new laws” about phone use whilst driving: they have remained unchanged since 2003 (although the penalties have changed). There has been publicity about closing a loophole that allowed phone use for non “interactive communications” purposes (eg filming), but it’s not clear if that’s been taken into law yet.

The Highway Code statement on this is here (note it applies to satnav devices as well as phones):
https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

The RAC view about using a phone for navigation is in this:
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/mobile-phone-laws/
If you wish to use smartphone navigation or a mapping app, fix the phone to the windscreen or dashboard, so it’s in clear view for use while driving (but not obstructing your view), without requiring you to hold or interact with it.

So it’s not enough for the phone to be simply in a holder, you must set it up whilst stationary and not interact with it whilst driving. That’s not new. Meanwhile it remains legal for manufacturers to put more and more functionality - including navigation - onto built-in touchscreens which can be used whilst driving and can be just as distracting. Have you seen the dashboard of a Tesla?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 10:08:55 AM »
There was a consultation that ran until 17th January but no recommendations or law change yet.

From Gov.uk:

Consultation proposing:

broadening the offence of using a hand-held mobile phone while driving so that it captures standalone mode functions as well as the existing interactive communication functions

to introduce a new exemption to the using a hand-held mobile phone while driving offence to allow drivers to make contactless payments using a mobile phone at appropriate locations, for example at drive through food outlets

These changes, if implemented, will need to be reflected in The Highway Code, and the consultation document includes the suggested revised wording.

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 12:47:12 PM »
OK, nothing to see here, carry on.  ;)

Tags: