Author Topic: Roll over accident.  (Read 1835 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Roll over accident.
« on: July 14, 2019, 10:49:04 AM »
With the popularity of SUV type vehicles I have worries about the safety aspects of them. I watch lots of dash cam videos and it is concerning how often SUVs over turn. Even in minor collisions.
This is from a crash involving a Police Scotland vehicle, yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-48976677

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Roll over accident.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 11:56:33 AM »
They did tests on large SUV and 4x4 in Australia when we lived there, found that because they have to be more rigid than 'normal' cars they are actually worse for the occupants in a crash because lack of crumple zones a lot more of the impact energy is transferred to the occupants.  Their shape also bad news for pedestrians with their high bonnet, which tends to knock them down and then run over them rather than a lower bonnet line on lower vehicles which are designed to 'scoop up' pedestrians and either carry them with vehicle or tip them off the side. Even more Chelsea tractors in Aus than here ( although they used to call them Pitt Street Tractors I believe after a famous Sydney street ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 08:08:55 AM »
The news report indicates that this vehicle first hit another before ending up on its side. The way it hit the other vehicle would affect what happened next although vehicles with higher centres of gravity are inherently at greater risk of tipping over and should therefore be driven accordingly. The little Suzuki 4WDs of 40 years ago were damned by the safety organisations because they would tip over during stability tests designed for cars but were wonderful little 4WDs when driven sensibly.

On a related subject, I noticed yesterday when driving along the M4 that the front ends of steel safety barriers had been modified to have widened flat ends instead of ramps. I think the authorities worked that vehicles running onto the ramps tended to tip over causing more injuries than would happen (at least with modern vehicles equipped with crumple zones and air bags) caused by a straight-on collision into the end of the barrier.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »
The news report indicates that this vehicle first hit another before ending up on its side. The way it hit the other vehicle would affect what happened next although vehicles with higher centres of gravity are inherently at greater risk of tipping over and should therefore be driven accordingly.
The videos I refer to nearly all feature roll overs after a collision. "Driven accordingly" applies to single vehicle accidents but you could be travelling at 40 mph on a dry straight road before being struck by another vehicle, with not a lot of option as to what you do. I appreciate that cars sometimes roll over too, but nowhere like as often as SUVs do.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:48:16 AM »
Whilst the accident looks horrendous, I note that according to the report, the person with the least serious injuries, was the driver of the police car, even though it was on its's side!!

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 12:52:29 PM »
Just seen this is it real? If so I’m never getting a suv

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »
Trawling through what's left of my memory, I seem to recall the early Toyota RAV 4s used to roll over for fun.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 01:56:44 PM »
Just seen this is it real? If so I’m never getting a suv

Very tight turning circle at reasonable speed on a severe adverse camber. Not really surprising in my opinion, given the angle from the vertical that the offside front wheel must have been at.

My Rav4 is a hybrid and is  quite firmly planted on the road most of the time with the low slung battery packs and extra weight in the two electric motors. Not that I have tried the manoeuvre shown in the video!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 02:06:55 PM »
You would think that as soon as it started to go you would lift off, or straighten up, or something. Unless of course you were pratting about in daddy's Merc!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 02:14:53 PM »
Think you nailed it there Jocko.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 03:23:00 PM »
I've done it myself. With my dad's Ford Consul. Tail slid out on a high speed corner, I corrected it, then stuck my foot straight back in the tank. This time I didn't correct it and ultimately wrapped it round a telegraph pole. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 10:37:01 AM »
The little Suzuki 4WDs of 40 years ago were damned by the safety organisations because they would tip over during stability tests designed for cars but were wonderful little 4WDs when driven sensibly.

When I was at six form college 20 years ago a girl (17-18 yrs old) nearly toppled over her Suzuki/Daihatsu in the car park by taking a turn too sharply (the offside wheels briefly left the ground). She soon replaced with a Fiesta or similar.

With the popularity of SUV type vehicles I have worries about the safety aspects of them. I watch lots of dash cam videos and it is concerning how often SUVs over turn. Even in minor collisions.
This is from a crash involving a Police Scotland vehicle, yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-48976677

I can't find the video on Youtube, but there was dashcam footage of a Vauxhall Mokka hitting a parked car at a relatively low speed then tipping over.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:42:31 AM by RichardA »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »
The answer is to buy a London Bus

guest4871

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »
The news report indicates that this vehicle first hit another before ending up on its side. The way it hit the other vehicle would affect what happened next although vehicles with higher centres of gravity are inherently at greater risk of tipping over and should therefore be driven accordingly. The little Suzuki 4WDs of 40 years ago were damned by the safety organisations because they would tip over during stability tests designed for cars but were wonderful little 4WDs when driven sensibly.

I have a 20 year old SWB Suzuki. The manual is very explicit about not driving it like a normal car.

High ground clearance, SWB and a narrow width do create very different handling characteristics.

Following drivers do get very irritated when I slow right down to go round any corner (carefully)  :D Bless them!

Cars after about 2005 are much lower on the road with a much lower centre of gravity and a longer wheelbase. The newer RAV4s or almost all SUVs just do not have the ground clearance to go "off road" except perhaps on an un macadamised track without large holes or ruts.

Do watch a video or two of the new 2019 Suzuki Jimny - quite the most brilliant little car - with, unsurprising a 2/3 year waiting list or 25% over list price.

And lest we forget the Mercedes A Class and mooses. Now that was a proper car.

Tags:

anything