Author Topic: Putting Jazz Hybrid Into Storage?  (Read 2003 times)

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
Putting Jazz Hybrid Into Storage?
« on: October 29, 2020, 01:03:41 PM »
There is a distinct possibility that I may have to go abroad for my work, for a period of around 2 years or so. During that time, I will be able to afford to come back two times a year or so. I have a Jazz HX, it is a fantastic little car and I don't wish to sell it.

The question is however, what can I do to avoid killing or reducing the capacity of the hybrid batteries? The starter battery in the engine bay is easy - just hook it up to a good trickle charger (I like CTEK) and let it do its thing.

But what about the hybrid batteries? My Jazz has a little label on the inside of the bonnet to say that the Jazz should be driven at least once a month to preserve the functionality of the hybrid batteries.

Any advice appreciated!  :)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Putting Jazz Hybrid Into Storage?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 02:46:51 PM »
But what about the hybrid batteries? My Jazz has a little label on the inside of the bonnet to say that the Jazz should be driven at least once a month to preserve the functionality of the hybrid batteries.

General rule of thumb for hybrids is to drive them for 30 minutes every three months, as a bare minimum. Unfortunately, I'm not altogether sure there is any other answer to this.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »
If the hybrid Mk 2 Jazz uses the same battery as the Insight of the same era https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Insight  then it's a nickel-metal hydrid battery. This technology is known for having a high rate of self-discharge while this site https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/whats_the_best_battery also notes that the battery requires regular full discharge to prevent crystalline formation. However, here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2%80%93metal_hydride_battery it is noted that the over-discharge of multi-cell configurations can result in damage.

Unless you can find out the battery voltage and locate a suitable trickle charger you'll either have to find someone who will run the vehicle as recommended on a monthly basis or part company with the vehicle.

The three-monthly recommendation seems to be for the newer hybrids with lithium batteries which have a much lower self-discharge rate.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 04:46:09 PM »
I believe Honda moved from NIMH to lithium batteries in 2012 on the Insight.

I assume the Jazz would have started with LI.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 05:43:51 PM »
Sell it, bank the amount of money you spend a month on it and then in two years time you will be able to buy any number of 4th Gen hybrids second hand which ought to be a better all round car. Plus you will save on insurance.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 06:08:19 PM »
Sell it, bank the amount of money you spend a month on it and then in two years time you will be able to buy any number of 4th Gen hybrids second hand which ought to be a better all round car. Plus you will save on insurance.

Seems the most sensible option really.

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 11:48:56 AM »
It's sufficient to start the engine on a monthly base and let it run at 3000-4000 rpm. I don't recall the exact rpm but above that trigger the engine starts to charge the IMA battery fast. Let it run for 5 minutes until it's full. That's what I did on my NiMh car over the winter with no ill effect.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 02:16:23 PM »
Post 2012 cars used LI batteries. Much longer life than NIMH used before then.
No need to charge them.

Tags: