Author Topic: What's your best advice for a new automatic Jazz  (Read 8021 times)

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
What's your best advice for a new automatic Jazz
« on: February 12, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »
Soon to move to an automatic SE ::) but I've no experience of driving an automatic gearbox car.  ::)

I'd really appreciate advice and all the tips you can share with me. Thanks all.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: What's your best advice for a new automatic Jazz
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 06:21:36 PM »
Best advice get some miles in before your decide to switch, take a demo vehicle out on roads you know for at least 30-40 mins your local dealer should be able to help.
The Jazz CVT gearbox is a delight in town,  b roads & motorways, pop into D and  your off & away.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:14:59 PM »
When you first start driving an auto you will possibly still go for the clutch pedal.
This can be a little off putting especially if you catch the wide brake pedal.
Do not be put off by the way the auto box fitted to the Jazz operates. Unlike other types of auto box it is a stepless transmission so as you open the throttle the revs rise and the road speed catches up with the revs. Except under extremely wide throttle openings you will not notice it.
Enjoy.

Vic.

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 07:56:45 PM »
My wife moved to our Jazz SE CVT from a 6-speed manual Hyundai IX20 CRDi with no problems at all and now wishes she'd move to an auto years ago.

Very easy transition - once you train your brain to keep your left foot planted on the floor, you'll have no problems. More relaxed driving, especially on busy roads and no chance of stalling!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 09:30:03 AM »
Ignore any comments from me about the CVT - I haven't driven one only been driven in one!

My neighbour is 81. He gets a new car every 3 years with motability and he has just replaced a Civic CVT with a Jazz CVT. He finds them very easy to drive, very economical and wouldn't go back to a manual. He dos most of his driving around town.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:46:38 AM »
When manoeuvring, I find it's tempting to move the lever from D to R while still rolling forward, but this is probably bad practice and potentially damaging!

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »
Something to know is the algorithms controlling gearing and engine speed are biassed towards maximum economy and maximum use of the Atkinson cycle (lower power more economy).

Sometimes this results in the car behaving like it has a flat spot and not responding as you expected.

When this happens you can do one of three things:-

1. Flip the left paddle to select a lower gear temporarily. It will change backup when it is ready.

2. Slip it into S mode. You can change between S and D at will.

3. Push you foot harder on the accelerator pedal. To me this feels unnatural and the slowest way of getting more response.

S mode is also useful if you are waiting to accelerate into a gap in fast moving traffic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 12:55:49 PM »
I drove automatics for 25 years (albeit conventional Epicyclic gearbox types) and absolutely loved them. First serious spell was a 3 week hire car in the US, and when I got a shot of a manual, just before my return, I forgot to push the clutch in to stop. And that was after 25 years driving manuals. An auto is just so simple to drive and so natural. It takes no getting used to. You just push one pedal to go and the other to stop. Once driving the car, whatever you get, you will soon find what makes it work for you. Don't worry about it. Just enjoy the experience.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 01:46:31 PM »
3. Push you foot harder on the accelerator pedal. To me this feels unnatural and the slowest way of getting more response.
I find that a short, sharp jab does the trick. Not down to the floor but a very positive signal that the ECU cannot possibly ignore :)

It took a bit of practice but now I can almost always jump the revs up to 3,000 when I need and that takes the engine out of the Atkinson cycle.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:51:34 PM by andruec »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 01:51:07 PM »
First serious spell was a 3 week hire car in the US, and when I got a shot of a manual, just before my return, I forgot to push the clutch in to stop.
Exactly the same deal as me. Took a trip to the States, rented a car. I didn't have any issues driving an automatic. I didn't even have to tuck my left foot under the seat because I never felt the slightest urge to press the clutch. But I had issues coming back to my manual even though I'd been driving a manual for nearly 20 years by then.

Like you I kept forgetting to press the clutch when I stopped but I also found myself irked simply having to press it to change gear. It just seemed such a pointless thing to do and the entire operation one that required ridiculous skill to do it properly (I was a member of the IAM back then and they have definite views about gear changing - head nodding by passengers is a hanging offence :) ).

The only aspect of the auto I didn't like was when it 'hunted' on a few long hills. But that was a hire car with only a three-speed box. This was also around the time that Honda released their revised Civic hybrid and I took one out for a test drive and discovered the joys of a CVT box. Initially I tried to buy a hybrid (I preferred the saloon shape even though it was going out of fashion) but they quoted me a six month minimum waiting period. The salesman had the sense to suggest I try a CVT Jazz instead and that was me hooked :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:59:00 PM by andruec »

CATech

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 67 plate EX CVT
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 06:53:15 PM »
Just got a Mk3 (67 plate) EX CVT after a 14 S and a 16 SE.
Best one ever. Got stuck on the stop start bumper to bumper hold up on the M5 last Friday. The CVT was a Godsend!!!

Go get one, you won't be sorry.

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 10:15:23 PM »
Thank you all very helpful.
No choice but to change - arthritis in the hip making life difficult. We had a good test drive and liked it. Deal done. Change over day is the 21st of the month.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 10:21:47 PM »
Thank you all very helpful.
No choice but to change - arthritis in the hip making life difficult. We had a good test drive and liked it. Deal done. Change over day is the 21st of the month.

Congrats. Various joint issues - shoulder and ankle - are steering me towards autos.

valleyjazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 10:21:01 AM »
Reminds me of my dear old Dad,  I have pretty much driven automatics all my driving life and Dad used to rib something rotten, stating all the usual reasons why not, control, reliability fuel consumption etc etc. In his early seventies he started suffering from stiff shoulders and general aches and pains and I tried to encourage him to try automatic driving, would he... eventually I convinced him to try our car, after much muttering he did and it was his light bulb moment, following day we started the quest to find him something he liked, a nice rover 216 came up and he snapped it up. From that day on he would always say”why didn’t I do this sooner” it kept him and mum independent and on the road, safely until 3 months before he passed at the ripe old age of 98, (I used to go out with him every couple of months to see if he was safe, slow but perfectly ok)
Enjoy many years of safe and happy motoring, I am sure you won’t regret it.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »
I'm test driving a 17 plate Mk3 CVT SE tomorrow! I'll report back.

Tags: