Author Topic: Braking  (Read 2702 times)

Radhadee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 auto ex cvt
Braking
« on: January 29, 2019, 09:07:23 PM »
Hi everyone only had my 2013 jazz auto since October and appreciate advice. I’ve noticed just this week in rain/snow that when I take my foot off accelerator to brake  the car seems to brake then just before it stops it’s as if the brake go off momentarily it feels weird. I’ve not noticed this before????? Any ideas is it normal? Always had manual cars.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Braking
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 09:12:55 PM »
Do you get pulsing through the pedal?
I just wonder if the ABS  is working

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 09:26:43 PM »
Hi,
It's normal, the engine is braking through the gearbox then just before it stops it changes to the torque converter. Feels odd but it's OK. When you pull away if you release the brake and wait a split second for the drive to engage it pulls away without jerking,
Chris

weeleyboy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz 1.4CVT EX
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »
Hi, my 2013 Jazz auto has cvt transmission - did they make it with torque converter and CVT gear boxes?

Radhadee

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 09:45:16 PM »
Hi, my 2013 Jazz auto has cvt transmission - did they make it with torque converter and CVT gear boxes?

Thanks. Yes that’s what it feels like I know it’s an auto but it’s like it does it’s own thing. I thought maybe it’s to do with the engine slowing cos braking but then it just feels like it’s braking on its own for that moment. Never really noticed in dryer weather. As long as it’s quite normal as I said this is my first cvt

Radhadee

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 09:49:42 PM »
Do you get pulsing through the pedal?
I just wonder if the ABS  is working

Hi,
It's normal, the engine is braking through the gearbox then just before it stops it changes to the torque converter. Feels odd but it's OK. When you pull away if you release the brake and wait a split second for the drive to engage it pulls away without jerking,
Chris

It does kind of feel a pulse through pedal it kind of un nerves me. Only on braking it pulls away fine in drive not Juddery - dee

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
My 2012 CVT is the same: just changing down into 1st gear and the engine reacts. I got used to it..

evijaymohan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Jazz ES CVT7
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 02:17:01 PM »
Driving 2011 ES CVT for a month now..

Still not used to breaking....  most of the times its not smooth...

not sure, why its taking too long .. driven many different cars... a small ride is usually good enough to get used to the breaking...

Johncb500

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 02:51:05 PM »

not sure, why its taking too long .. driven many different cars... a small ride is usually good enough to get used to the breaking...
I find the brakes over servoed.
Need a very light press on the pedal.
Low speed is very sensitive.
Try to press gently

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 04:34:49 PM »
I have had my Jazz for two and a half years now, and I still haven't got to grips with the brakes. Sometimes they feel as if, as you come to a halt, they are not working as well as they should, so you press a smidgen harder, and do an emergency stop! They do tend to grab at times. Fine at speed but around town they can be a bit of a lottery. Possibly, as John says, they may be a bit over servoed. Could be that the pads are a bit softer than the OEM ones which could explain it. Harder pads need more servo, and fade less.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 04:48:46 PM »
I have had my Jazz for two and a half years now, and I still haven't got to grips with the brakes. Sometimes they feel as if, as you come to a halt, they are not working as well as they should, so you press a smidgen harder, and do an emergency stop! They do tend to grab at times. Fine at speed but around town they can be a bit of a lottery. Possibly, as John says, they may be a bit over servoed. Could be that the pads are a bit softer than the OEM ones which could explain it. Harder pads need more servo, and fade less.
Hi Jocko.
In the last part of your post.You mentioned fading.
A local twisty road I drive often. Using the paddles and a heavy right foot.I can get the brakes to fade.it
did surprise me.
Do you have that happen?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 05:58:31 PM »
I don't, but I am very gentle on the brakes. I prefer to lift off earlier rather than use the brakes. The heat that braking produces all comes from one source. The petrol you use to build up that speed. Obviously there are times you have to brake but if a bit of anticipation can mitigate the use of the brakes I prefer to go that way.
Next time you replace the pads, opt for OEM pads. They will probably be a bit more expensive, but they may remove the over servoed feel and should prevent the fading.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »
After 30k miles,I:
changed ALL the pads to Brembo
carefully greased  - with silicone non metallic grease - all braking levers, pivot points and moving parts...

And found after that - when the new pads wore in - that breaking became smoother and less fierce.

As for fade? Last time I saw it in a car was 1972 in a 1946 Rover 16 going down a LONG descent in the Highlands . After about a mile, a pile of acrid smoke from the front brakes (drums) which were glowing red...they were rod operated so no brake fluid to boil.. and no servo so you needed a strong right foot (and the handbrake)...
(Strangely enough those who are nostalgic about old cars usually fail to mention the brakes - or lack of them)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 06:23:17 PM »
Drum brakes have a self servo action ( the shoes pull themselves into drum ) so no servo was needed.  The self servo action is why drums make better handbrake, and considering rear brakes contribute less than 20% to normal braking and are pretty maintenance free and shoes normally last over 100,000 miles ( and drums last for ever ) its a no brainer to fit drums to rear,  I have had enough grief with rear discs to make me realise that they are a bad idea as rear brakes catch all the water and crap thrown up by front wheels, and alloy wheels only make this worse.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:59:25 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 10:48:13 AM »

I find the brakes over servoed.
Need a very light press on the pedal.
Low speed is very sensitive.
Try to press gently

+1 you are dead right,brakes are very over servoed its time this problem was put right.I would not buy a jazz again till the brakes get binned.

Plasma.

Tags: