Author Topic: MOT survey  (Read 1921 times)

tonytan

• Approved Member
MOT survey
« on: January 26, 2019, 09:10:43 AM »
The latest report by Auto Express mentions that the Honda Jazz has come out tops as the car with the least MOT failures which does not surprise me at all.
Well done to Honda for producing such a fine car.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: MOT survey
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:01:39 AM »
My 2006 has had one fail in 9 years of MOTs. And that was due to worn out brake pads the then owner had neglected.

tonytan

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 10:41:52 AM »
My 2 Jazz's a 2006 with 106,000 miles and a 2007 with 60,000 miles has not had a single fail at all! Hence I cannot justify getting rid of the older one as they both have been so reliable. The only downside with Jazz ownership is that replacement parts are so expensive that if you didn't know where to go to source alternative parts it makes it unfeasible to keep an older car on the road if something major goes wrong hence luckily we have this forum to turn to. As an example recently I had the ABS modulator fail on my older Jazz, a Honda dealer was quoting nearly £1000 for a new part, I managed to source a
remanufactured item for just over £100

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »
Mine hasn't failed. But when I checked the history before buying it there had been advisories for the Brake lines and exhaust for corrosion. This was at something like 40K miles which was lower than I've seen on other cars. They had both been replaced since the advisories.

I bought this car specifically as a reliable and practical runabout 2nd car. So far it's performing well. I've fitted mine with Winter tyres (4 tyres the same price as 1 on my main car!) and it's getting daily use right now.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »
Mine hasn't failed. But when I checked the history before buying it there had been advisories for the Brake lines and exhaust for corrosion. This was at something like 40K miles which was lower than I've seen on other cars. They had both been replaced since the advisories.

I bought this car specifically as a reliable and practical runabout 2nd car. So far it's performing well. I've fitted mine with Winter tyres (4 tyres the same price as 1 on my main car!) and it's getting daily use right now.

Non of our MK1 Jazz ever failed an MOT, even after high mileage, although a couple had the rear brake pipe corrosion.  The problem with exhausts is that they corrode from the inside on cars that do low miles / short journeys so you cannot blame the car for that..
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 02:58:18 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 06:52:17 PM »
Exhausts. like tyres, brake pads and batteries, are a replaceable item. Nothing to do with the make or model of car.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 07:54:05 PM »
Exhausts. like tyres, brake pads and batteries, are a replaceable item. Nothing to do with the make or model of car.

I think that the Honda rear discs are not fit for purpose, ( this is not a problem on mk1 with drums ) - but on mk2 after original Honda discs rusting away in a couple of years from new and the OEM Honda replacements discs doing the same, the cheap eicher discs and brembo pads from eurocarparts are looking much better !
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
My Mk1 has discs on the rear, and going by the stack of receipts I received with the car, they have not been replaced in 110,000 miles. Mind you, I have steel wheels, not alloys.

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 09:21:18 PM »
I just had this years MOT and the only advisory was:
   * service brake fluctuating, but not excessively *

my brother has no idea what the hell that's supposed to mean, discs and pads were changed in the summer.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 04:54:20 PM »
   * service brake fluctuating, but not excessively *

my brother has no idea what the hell that's supposed to mean

It means the tester is getting fluctuation on the brake tester reading, and/or pulsing through the pedal.

Usually caused by worn, rusty or warped discs, or worn drums.

I see that you have replaced discs and pads, so the other possibility is that the hub faces were not properly fettled when the new discs were fitted, or even a faulty disc - it does happen. Any vibration when braking hard from high speed?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:15:28 PM by sparky Paul »

Tags: