Author Topic: Headlight Polishing  (Read 2750 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Headlight Polishing
« on: June 18, 2020, 08:34:03 PM »
At the weekend I polished the headlights using some toothpaste after reading that toothpaste works wonders in restoring cloudy headlights. I had them professionally polished two years so they weren't as bad this time round. I cleaned the lights first with some car shampoo and water in a spray bottle, then made two passes with the toothpaste. I then finished them off with some Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by some Gtechniq C2.

Edit: Applied using a microfibre cloth.

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 10:34:17 AM by RichardA »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Headlight Polishing
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »
Look great, and I bet they smell nice too!  8)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 10:46:34 PM »
Looks spot on & cheaper than new bulbs.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »
Wow that came out nicely!  :o
Did you apply the toothpaste by hand?
I've had great success with Meguiars Plast X Plastic polish and a small Ryobi polisher.

If you want your clear lenses to last longer spray something like Rust Oleum clear that has UV inhibitor in it over the polished lens.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 08:26:13 AM »
I have found that a gram of prevention is worth a kilogram of cure, use something like AutoGlym super resin polish on headlights every month or so ( and other lights as well ), you can follow with a wax for extra UV protection if you want. This adds to the original UV protection and puts an extra layer of protection on to prevent build up of traffic pollution and dead flies on the plastic,  which under the merciless rays of the sun will degrade the surface.   This works best if started when car is fairly young, if the lights are already clouding up repeated applications of super resin polish may help but not guaranteed.

Autoglym super resin polish is great for cleaning up UPVC window frames - use it once a year to keep them looking great and keep the spider poo from sticking.  I originally bought some Autoglym to clean window frames and then decided to try it on headlights ( I am not a great car cleaner ).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 08:49:58 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 10:33:49 AM »
Wow that came out nicely!  :o
Did you apply the toothpaste by hand?
I've had great success with Meguiars Plast X Plastic polish and a small Ryobi polisher.

If you want your clear lenses to last longer spray something like Rust Oleum clear that has UV inhibitor in it over the polished lens.

I applied it using a microfibre cloth.

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 10:07:30 PM »
At the weekend I polished the headlights using some toothpaste after reading that toothpaste works wonders in restoring cloudy headlights. I had them professionally polished two years so they weren't as bad this time round. I cleaned the lights first with some car shampoo and water in a spray bottle, then made two passes with the toothpaste. I then finished them off with some Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by some Gtechniq C2.

Fantastic job! Love the results :D
I have Gtechniq glass treatment set for windows and mirrors sitting on shelf but I didn't dare to crack it open just yet...

Tags:

anything