Author Topic: Engine Light - Crank shaft sensor?  (Read 8907 times)

guest1646

Engine Light - Crank shaft sensor?
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »
Hi,
I just need some advice based on anyone's experience.

Last Sunday while I am driving at around 45 m/p the engine appears to cut off and I managed to park nearby. I  restarted the car and it started well and looks OK apart from a light in the dashboard.

I have AA and since I have never used their services, I decided to call them and the guy that came said it was the engine light and after plugging his computer, says it is from what appears to be crank shaft sensor.
He managed  to clear the light though......I don't know how and the effect of that.

The background to this is that the car has been jerking for sometime and seem to do that just before the engine cuts off. I did full servicing in May and I confirmed today that Kwik fit changed all 8 plugs as part of servicing

Questions:
Since the light is gone, do I need to worry?
Would the sensor need replacement and how much will this be roughtly?
Can someone recommend a garage or someone that can clean the EGR valve or pathway in/around London or Essex as people on this forum say it may be the culprit for the jerking?

Please help.....

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Engine Light - Crank shaft sensor?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:46:44 AM »
My sons Corsa had a crankshaft sensor problem. Basically the engine thinks the top half of the engine and bottom half are out of synchronisation so cuts the engine out, however normally is just a faulty sensor. The sensor is only about £8, but labour was about an hour, so about £90 at a main dealer.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »
My daughter had an intermittent starting problem on her Rover 25. She took it to our local autocentre who could not find the fault as the motor was running OK when we got it there. However they took it to their other branch which had better diagnostic equipment and they found the crankshaft sensor to be faulty; replaced it - problem gone.

Your engine warning light may have gone out but that does not mean that the problem has gone away, it could re-occur at anytime.

guest1646

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:10:02 AM »
Thanks
I think the problem is still with the EGR valve and will like that cleaned at the first instance. I know Honda will not do the cleaning but replace it but I am finding it difficult to get a garage in London/Romford/Essex around where I live to clean the valve.

Any recommendations?

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:52:19 PM »
I cleaned the EGR Valve on my wifes GD jazz, two bolts to remove. Lift out, clean with meth spirits or similar, drop back in and re-tighten nuts... its been perfect since and was jerking quite badly, they just get carbon deposits on, they clean up very easily.... ;) ;D

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:20:48 PM »
This is what you should clean: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/07/SAA2E07A20323525401KBAT00.HTML, it sits on the top of the engine close to the oil filler cap.

guest1646

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
Thanks but the link is not showing the image

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
erm, there is a grey icon that is clickable, it expands into an image..

Tags:

anything