Author Topic: Flat Battery Possible faulty alternator? Thoughts please.  (Read 1605 times)

Darryl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4SE
Flat Battery Possible faulty alternator? Thoughts please.
« on: May 09, 2020, 03:37:25 PM »
Hi,

over the last couple of weeks, our 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4 manual has failed to start due to a flat battery if the car has been unused for a day or two.

The battery is only a few months old and shows and maintains  steady 12.6volts if fully charged but disconnected from the car.  The car has no alarm .

Obviously there is a parasitic drain somewhere but I have checked all of the obvious culprits such as boot and interior light but nothing amiss there.
I have also done a parasitic drain test with the meter and that was .35ma which is nothing .

The car shows a charge rate of 14,45 Volts when running but today something else happened that leads me to think there may be a fault with the alternator. I've known these to produce a battery drain on other cars if faulty  when not running

My wife used the car to go a couple of miles to the shop and as he pulled into the car park, the battery light flashed on and the engine stumbled and almost momentarily cut out but didn't. The battery light has not acted up again and the car started normally on her return.

Looking at the alternator , it looks awfully tight to remove. Is it possible without a major dismantling process?

Any ideas or suggestions please. Many thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4SE
Re: Flat Battery Possible faulty alternator? Thoughts please.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 03:57:15 PM »
Hi Jocko, I had already read that thread before posting mine.

My alternator is kicking out 14.5 with the engine ticking over so it is definitely charging but I'm also aware that they can allow the battery to drain when not running if they are faulty hence my question

seasidesoulish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Jazz 1.4 CVT-7
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 04:04:20 PM »
If you are only doing very short trips like me the charging system doesn't keep the battery charged.  I keep headlights on for all short trips & that forces the system to charge all the time.  Otherwise it turns itself off a lot.

Check all your fuses & relays for current drain.

If that doesn't fix it, I found my front washer pump to be causing a drain.  The wipers & washer pumps don't seem to have separate relays or fuses which makes finding the drain difficult.

Good luck

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 04:42:13 PM »
If you are only doing very short trips like me the charging system doesn't keep the battery charged.  I keep headlights on for all short trips & that forces the system to charge all the time.  Otherwise it turns itself off a lot.

If that doesn't fix it, I found my front washer pump to be causing a drain.  The wipers & washer pumps don't seem to have separate relays or fuses which makes finding the drain difficult.

Good luck

F6 in cabin fusebox supplies front washer motor and pumps.

The washer pumps should only get power with ignition fully on, you can tell by trying to squirt screen wash with ignition key in various positions,  and the washer stalk on RH side of steering is spring loaded so only supplies power when pulled back.  But strange that disconnecting the wires solved the battery discharge problem.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

seasidesoulish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Jazz 1.4 CVT-7
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 04:55:39 PM »

Good luck

The washer pumps should only get power with ignition fully on, you can tell by trying to squirt screen wash with ignition key in various positions,  and the washer stalk on RH side of steering is spring loaded so only supplies power when pulled back.  But strange that disconnecting the wires solved the battery discharge problem.

I agree, however that seems to have fixed my issue... It's possible it's an intermittent problem with a different cause & will come back but fingers crossed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 06:37:49 PM »

Good luck

I agree, however that seems to have fixed my issue... It's possible it's an intermittent problem with a different cause & will come back but fingers crossed.

Sticking relays still the most common intermittent cause of battery drain, the opening spring is normally quite weak and the power contacts connected straight to battery via main fuse ( this is so that main current does not have to go through ignition switch contacts ). A slight jolt of car on the move can free the contacts but when power to relay is removed when car is parked they can fail to open again on occasions .  Due to contacts sticking there was a recall on the original Omron aircon relays fitted to many cars, it was recommended to replace with mitsuba type.

https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-cr-v-mitsuba-air-con-relay-2005-onwards/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 06:43:16 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 09:58:51 AM »
https://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkbright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

https://www.sparkbright.co.uk/pdf/eclipse-datasheet.pdf

This is a clever bit of kit,  a colour changing LED that lets you know the state of charging system and battery voltage.  It is auto dimming and actually flashes various sequences of red when the voltage is really low - is a simple 2 wire connection and has 600mm leads as standard... will probably get one for my motorbike as I already have the 4 LED colour changing gizmo that plugs into cigarette lighter in our cars ( sorry 'auxiliary power supply outlet' LOL )...

Or maybe this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Motorcycle-12V-Digital-LED-Display-Voltmeter-Voltage-Gauge-Panel-Meter-UK/164305898746?hash=item2641650cfa:g:LMAAAOSwh4BfG6~H

and a temperature gauge...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-110-c-Digital-LED-Thermometer-DC-5-12V-Car-Temperature-Panel-Meter-Gauge/193574774758?hash=item2d11f4a7e6:g:KyMAAOSwMn5b0DwK
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:15:40 AM by culzean »

Tags: