Author Topic: Replacing a Mk1 Jazz with a newer model  (Read 1283 times)

Jamrock

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Replacing a Mk1 Jazz with a newer model
« on: March 04, 2020, 12:31:51 PM »
Hello

I've owned an automatic MK1 Jazz for about 3 years now and have been very happy with it - it's extremely reliable and there is loads of space.

Unfortunately it was in a collision yesterday and needs to be written off (nobody was hurt, thankfully). I will probably buy a newer Jazz but, before shopping, i'm just wondering if there are any versions which are known to be better or worse than others? I'm guessing that the general spec will have improved with the updates, but are there an rogue vintages to be careful of?

Thanks

Lee

Waue1978

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GD1 CVT
Re: Replacing a Mk1 Jazz with a newer model
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 07:02:23 PM »
If you're looking at a MK2, the CVT didn't return until 2011 & according to most reviews the 2009-2011 autos are a bit cack.

Jamrock

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 08:30:32 AM »
Thanks

So, just to check, is CVT a good feature that I should look out for in my next automatic Jazz?

Lee

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »
Most people prefer the CVT here but as always it's personal preference. This thread seems to have a good discussion of the differences https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7606.0
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jamrock

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »
Thanks, that's a really useful thread.

Do you know if there is more general list anywhere to help choose a model of Jazz and / or a list of things to look out for when buying a used Jazz?

Lee

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 11:51:19 AM »
Lee, I'm sure your question has been asked before, try aswift search on the forum page top RH.
Good Luck finding your replacement

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 10:17:34 AM »
Also Honest John and Parker's have a lot of useful information in their reviews sections.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/
https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-reviews/
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 12:41:27 PM »
Not Jazz specific, but I've always found it wise to avoid the first 1-2 years of a new model. Lots of little fixes get put in place at the factory that get identified in the early cars.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 01:26:18 PM »
The 2015 model had actual pressure sensors in the wheels ( direct Tyre Pressure Monitoring System ) not the ABS based  ( indirect TPMS of later models ) - some complain about how picky the later indirect TPMS can be to set up,  but the earlier one with sensors can get expensive ( as my brother found out on his Suzuki Grand Vitara ) when he wanted to fit steel wheels and tyres for winter he had to buy 4 new sensors,  and have them programmed in every wheel change twice a year at £50 a go  ( system can only remember 4 sensors at a time ) - in the end he kept the alloys on all year and got all season tyres,  he liked the better off-road performance of the proper Nokian M&S ( mud and snow ) tyres,  but didn't like the expense. 

Other than that I still think the MK1 iDSi  twin spark engine is the most driveable of the Jazz engines, the later engines ( except the 1.5 vtec ) are quite gutless lower down ( below about 2500 revs ) and changing from first to second gear on manual gearbox on a hill is a big jump in ratio - never stalled the iDSi but when I drive wifes MK2 1.4 ivetec I am prone to ( other car is a 1.8 Civic which is pretty impossible to stall ).   The lower down engine characteristics of vtec may not bother you with a CVT though.   The suspension and steering on later models is undoubtedly better,  but we found the boot was not so big when moved up to MK2 ( in fact with every succeeding model the boot seems to be getting smaller and the rear legroom larger - but rear legroom on MK1 was fine anyway ).   Liked the 'roller blind' boot cover on MK1 as well,  if you wanted to fold seats down it was easier to stow than the rigid cover on later models.

here is another link on forum

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7428.msg34823#msg34823
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:29:02 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything