Author Topic: Diagnostic tol for GK  (Read 1080 times)

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Diagnostic tol for GK
« on: May 07, 2020, 09:38:39 AM »
I would like to have recommendations about a diagnostic tool that can go deeper and wider in GK Jazz systems than the generic OBD-readers. I mean such systems as ABS, VSA, CMBS, TPMS, automatic lights, central locking. Maybe do even some modification of settings. I want to avoid any Chinese clones of HDS.

I have seen recommended such as:
  • Foxwell NT510
    Launch Creader CRP129E
    ScanGaugeII

I would be happy of any comments on these and recommendations or suggestions of some others.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Diagnostic tol for GK
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 10:48:51 AM »
ScanGauge II, as far as I am aware, only reads the engine codes. I have a ScanGauge E fitted, and as far as I am aware, the only real difference is the E displays two parameters and the II, four.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 12:15:16 PM »
The other two systems are multi-manufacturer systems and should do what you want, but I can't tell you if they are any good. These types of systems can have have minor limitations, such as no key transponder programming, immobiliser access, ECU flashing, etc., but usually nothing critical. Prices have come down on these systems too.

The only diagnostic systems that will do everything is the genuine Honda HDS. I've always bought clones for the various vehicles I've owned, and found them extremely useful. However, the latest clone HDS is still quite expensive, and there are few UK suppliers.

The other problem is that the clone software is often not bang up to date, and you can have problems with current models. This issue also affects the multi-manufacturer systems, it can take a while to receive updates for later models, especially for the cheaper kits which are rebadged Chinese made devices.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 06:54:14 AM »
ScanGauge II, as far as I am aware, only reads the engine codes. I have a ScanGauge E fitted, and as far as I am aware, the only real difference is the E displays two parameters and the II, four.

Thank you. That confirms what I suspected or rather remembered about the ScanGauge. Years ago I was digging it deeper to find out if it could be used in my wife's 1st gen Honda CR-V. It wasn't, as there is no suitable OBD in it.

The only diagnostic systems that will do everything is the genuine Honda HDS. I've always bought clones for the various vehicles I've owned, and found them extremely useful. However, the latest clone HDS is still quite expensive, and there are few UK suppliers.

The other problem is that the clone software is often not bang up to date, and you can have problems with current models. This issue also affects the multi-manufacturer systems, it can take a while to receive updates for later models, especially for the cheaper kits which are rebadged Chinese made devices.

Besides trying to avoid supporting China by buying products from there, I would like to avoid or at least minimize the effort of making the tool to work. I can foresee plenty of potential computer compatibility issues regarding both hardware and software with clone HDS. I am hoping that a dedicated diagnostic device, not requiring any external computer to work, would get me quicker to the actual task. And maybe, just maybe, there would also be some support available from the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:15:01 AM by TnTkr »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 01:42:49 PM »
Besides trying to avoid supporting China by buying products from there, I would like to avoid or at least minimize the effort of making the tool to work. I can foresee plenty of potential computer compatibility issues regarding both hardware and software with clone HDS. I am hoping that a dedicated diagnostic device, not requiring any external computer to work, would get me quicker to the actual task. And maybe, just maybe, there would also be some support available from the manufacturer.

I can understand not wanting the complication of a clone tool, and while some work out of the box, some of them are a pain to get working properly. The Chinese clone of the V2 HDS works great with the mk1 Jazz, but that requires a minor modification for access to ABS/SRS etc., due to Honda using a none standard pinout. As for boycotting Chinese, even the UK Jazz was built in China from 2006-2008, we have one of them.

The genuine Honda Diagnostic System is PC based, there is no 100% substitute for it. If you want a genuine system, they can be obtained, but the cost is unjustifiable for a DIYer.

The handheld devices are undoubtedly convenient, but have limitations - fortunately, they are rarely significant for most users. Most of these systems only give you access to basic OBD, plus SRS, ABS and TPMS - the main things that you are likely to need. Some of the more obscure systems on the car, such as EPS, are rarely supported.

That said, the Autel ML619 and the Foxwell ML510 seem to get good write ups, but they are both Chinese devices. I'm sure many members would be very interested to hear how you get on with one of these, if you want to be guinea pig!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:46:44 PM by sparky Paul »

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 06:15:40 AM »
Thank you for your comprehensive answer. I will continue finding information of the alternatives and their differences. I'd like to find out the limit of handheld devices. Obviously clone HDS has capabilities which are not available in any of the handheld diagnostic tools.

Regarding the off-topic about Chinese products, it is of course unrealistic to avoid Chinese products. But when purchased from an European retailer, you may expect at least some level of product support and at least some of the money benefits European economy.

Tags:

anything