Author Topic: How do we stop burning fossil fuels?  (Read 9939 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: How do we stop burning fossil fuels?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2020, 04:29:33 PM »
I do agree with Sparky Paul that we need a mix of technologies but what appears to be going on here in Orkney is that we are littering the place with turbines with the hope that if the bigger connector cable gets the go ahead, we will be able to heat the swimming pools in the Central Belt. 

And beyond. They seem to be developing cables which only conduct in a southerly direction. (only joking)  :D

There is to be a climate change conference in Glasgow soon, with a huge number of delegates plus their entourage flying in from all over the World to create even more hot air -  GIVE ME STRENGTH!

And they'll all make promises for the next 30 years that they have no intentions of keeping.
Greenwashing I believe they call it.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2020, 04:37:48 PM »
This outlines the stark reality that we will have to start making stuff locally because there will be no fuel to bring the stuff from China.

Jings. That sounds worrying for "Global Britain"

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2020, 08:48:03 PM »
Sorry, I misinterpreted your post about the houses. I thought you meant they were going to flatten them rather than build them. As you say though it's daft to build them in an unsuitable place.

I think that was my fault, my punctuation was rubbish.

Cheap land for the developers, once it's cleaned up. Not sure what they'll do with the contamination, probably a scraping of topsoil over it and some nice turf.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2020, 08:59:44 PM »
There was a large development near me, on the site of an old chemical factory. They sorted out the clean soil and the contaminated soil. The contaminated soil went to help infill a quarry. Several months later they found that they had dumped the clean soil. They then had to find and buy another quarry, dump the second load of soil, then buy several thousand tons of clean soil for the development. Couldn't have been a lot of profit on that job.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2020, 11:05:21 PM »

There's 50MW of battery storage been built on a coal/gas power station near me, a further 50MW is planned at another derelict coal fired station site nearby, as well as a significant solar farm and a renewable energy hub. Then there's another 50MW planned on the site of the power station next door, after it is flattened over the next 5 years... and 1600 houses too, but that's another story.
What's a renewable energy hub?
Something like this?
https://www.centrica.com/Story/Virtual-power-plants-are-transforming-energy-Here's-how/?fbclid=IwAR3IVzC9D6AT-_vTXMiPitwFsbr92kTf7Tgjiznzd4NDlB4UGCPlP8blfiA

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2020, 03:54:18 PM »

There's 50MW of battery storage been built on a coal/gas power station near me, a further 50MW is planned at another derelict coal fired station site nearby, as well as a significant solar farm and a renewable energy hub. Then there's another 50MW planned on the site of the power station next door, after it is flattened over the next 5 years... and 1600 houses too, but that's another story.
What's a renewable energy hub?
Something like this?
https://www.centrica.com/Story/Virtual-power-plants-are-transforming-energy-Here's-how/?fbclid=IwAR3IVzC9D6AT-_vTXMiPitwFsbr92kTf7Tgjiznzd4NDlB4UGCPlP8blfiA

Something along those lines, by the sound of it. Lifted from the draft plan, the site, 38.4ha plus a further 21.6ha available later, will comprise 5 zones:

To capitalise on the unique opportunities this site offers, Policy ST7 identifies this site for employment uses in the renewable and low carbon sector only, such as battery and data storage, and associated power generation. Proposals must also be fully compliant with the principles and zoning set out in the masterplan framework for the site.

The site will comprise:

Zone A – Low Carbon Energy production and storage creating an ‘energy hub’;
Zone B – Low Carbon and energy efficient business area;
Zone C – Business area harnessing power and heat from the ‘energy hub’;
Zone D – Solar Energy and green energy Production area;
Zone E – Green Buffer, including tree planting and biodiversity enhancement.

The biggest part of the available land will be Zone D use, basically a solar energy farm.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 11:07:54 PM »
Scotland to reach 100% renewables in time to host 2020 climate summit

https://reneweconomy.com.au/scotland-to-reach-100-renewables-in-time-to-host-2020-climate-summit-60854/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR1Ahx81j6kk_tI2XbPKlMojZloaVS4pYxgb1gASygutFOm72ON-1FX4qjw
Great news.

Meanwhile the Royal Bank of Scotland claimed to be going carbon neutral just before they abandoned the name in favour of Nat West.
How does a bank go carbon neutral I wondered?
Simples. They've stopped investing in coal mining (not even all fossil fuels)
There's far too much of this greenwashing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 11:19:06 PM by JimSh »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2020, 08:34:42 AM »
For John R there is a really interesting little book by Jeff Rubin titled ‘Why your whole World is about to get smaller’. This outlines the stark reality that we will have to start making stuff locally because there will be no fuel to bring the stuff from China.
Thanks. I bought the book and am nearly half way through it. The book was published in 2009 and the theme is based on a shortage of oil, rising prices and the consequent effects. I haven't yet come across a mention of shale oil which, during the past 10 years, has made a major contribution towards the global oil supply (I'm not sure how long it will last) and price stability.

However, the expected consequences of scarcity and rising energy price still apply but the driver is more likely to be carbon tax (if there could be global agreement) or just the unacceptability of burning fossil fuels.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2020, 08:45:08 AM »
Scotland to reach 100% renewables in time to host 2020 climate summit

https://reneweconomy.com.au/scotland-to-reach-100-renewables-in-time-to-host-2020-climate-summit-60854/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR1Ahx81j6kk_tI2XbPKlMojZloaVS4pYxgb1gASygutFOm72ON-1FX4qjw
Great news.

Seems to be some journalistic hyperbole in that article (although I would really like it if it were true)!

The AGRs at Hunterston (if it restarts) & Torness are not planned for closure this year, or are those being counted as “renewable”? The article also glibly states that Peterhead CCGT is the only remaining fossil-fuelled power plant, without pointing out that that station holds contracts for power supply through to Sept 2022 (https://sse.com/newsandviews/allarticles/2019/08/peterhead-secures-capacity-contracts-in-rwe-transfer/). So that’s the three biggest non-renewable generators in Scotland will still be running at the end of this year (noting the question mark over Hunterston), one of which is fossil-fuelled.

As ever with this kind of broad statement there are lies, damned lies, and statistics, and other analyses suggest Scotland’s power situation is a little more complicated than the simple headline would suggest:
http://euanmearns.com/scotlands-wind-exports-to-england-and-the-myth-of-a-100-renewable-scotland/

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2020, 09:02:46 AM »
to Colin B,
Thanks for the articles. It would be great if we could learn the absolute truth but the best we can do is sift through the articles written by those with vested interests.
However I believe that Scotland is especially rich in renewable energy (loads of wind, rain and hills and surrounded by rough seas) and is making more of an effort than most other countries to cut its carbon footprint.

PS. not sure that many would agree with the second article about the "environmentally enhanced" picture of Stirling Castle
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:24:09 AM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2020, 09:08:12 AM »
The supply of electrical power is a lot more complicated than many people realise,  I have read articles stating that California ( that doyen of renewable power activists ) has 80% of its electrical power supplied by fossil fuels after dark ( mainly gas ) just when most electric vehicles wil be charging, and is the largest consumer of aircraft fuel in the whole USA - the state is also at the forefront of the push to get everyone into electric vehicles.  There is a lot of smoke** and mirrors surrounding renewables which sort of ignore the fact that renewables are supplied at the whim of nature ( and if climate change is real it will become a whole lot more whimsical in future ),  and to have a robust base load we need a supply that is under our control, not mother natures,  this means nuclear, gas, coal.  The incorporation of unreliable renewables into the grid is OK when renewables only form a small ( <30% ) of power supply, but get above that figure and major headaches and power shortages are on the horizon.

** Electricity is actually smoke, have you noticed that once smoke escapes from anything electrical it stops working until it is repaired to stop the leak and keep the smoke where it should be.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/renewable-energy-meets-power-grid-operations/
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:13:44 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2020, 11:33:47 AM »
There are plans being passed in Scotland for "local" gas-powered power plants, the most recent of which was passed by Fife planning department for Belleknowes Industrial Estate by Inverkeithing. The good news is a second plant about two miles away was refused.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »
There are plans being passed in Scotland for "local" gas-powered power plants, the most recent of which was passed by Fife planning department for Belleknowes Industrial Estate by Inverkeithing. The good news is a second plant about two miles away was refused.
Plenty of gas being burned off at Mossmorran the other night.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-51498166

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2020, 12:52:35 PM »
They said it was visible in Edinburgh. I would have been surprised if you couldn't read a book by it in Edinburgh. You certainly could in Kirkcaldy.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2020, 12:56:57 PM »
'In physics and chemistry, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant; it is said to be conserved over time. This law means that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another.'

Probably worth a moment's thought on the part of those who seem largely ignorant, assuming they have not re written the laws of physics on some childish idealogical whim.

PS - I am assuming, of course, we haven't morphed seamlessly into some new paradym best known to those who claim to be experts on the energy conundrum regarding life as we know it... :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 01:10:58 PM by MartinJG »

Tags:

anything