Author Topic: Driveshaft snapped  (Read 4209 times)

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
Re: Driveshaft snapped
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 06:27:56 AM »
corrosion pitting may have initiated the failure looks like fatigue striations coming from a couple, though better photo of fracture face may/may not confirm

Don’t have anymore pictures unfortunately. Maybe the original driveshaft was just not very good. I’ve read about the recalls in America regarding this part, none in the uk though. Might just be bad luck. Either way, something to be aware about if you own the mk2 Jazz I guess.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 09:27:12 AM »
The final failure looks classic cup/cone but I am sure there is fatigue there, probably originating in the section below the boot where clip was - perfect area for corrosion to begin.
All of which exasperated of course by the the occasional high loads imposed.

Statistically I imagine a very rare occurrence and at high lives.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 01:41:38 PM »
The old Land Rovers deliberately had a weak rear half-shaft that was designed to be the weakest link in the transmission to break first if there was exceptionally high stress. It could easily be replaced in the field and those venturing well off the beaten track would carry a spare.

I wonder if there's an element of the "weakest link" concept in Honda's design. Although the front driveshaft replacement isn't easy, it's still easier than replacing many other transmission components.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 03:42:48 PM »
I just wonder if the drive shaft strength has been improved on the Mk4 Jazz/Crosstar, given that the maximum torque output of the EV drive, is vastly superior to the ICE output ?

Most breakages of this type are due to torque, rather than rotational speed.

With 44 years service at Landrover, I can confirm Johns thoughts re the old Landrover axleshafts.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 05:00:38 PM »
Those failures look like classic fatigue failures originating at stress corrosion cracks probably caused by trapping of salt where the shaft dampers are fitted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_corrosion_cracking
The shafts themselves are almost certainly perfectly fine until they get a small corrosion crack, then it's just a matter of time/miles.

I'd be inclined to apply a suitable corrosion block type product which could "wick" into the joint, ACF50 or similar would probably be sufficient to delay such issues.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2022, 07:59:50 AM »
Those failures look like classic fatigue failures originating at stress corrosion cracks probably caused by trapping of salt where the shaft dampers are fitted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_corrosion_cracking
The shafts themselves are almost certainly perfectly fine until they get a small corrosion crack, then it's just a matter of time/miles.

I'd be inclined to apply a suitable corrosion block type product which could "wick" into the joint, ACF50 or similar would probably be sufficient to delay such issues.

Thanks for the tip.. on my todo list

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2022, 12:27:00 PM »
Driving off when you have two wheels on the kerb and two off can put a high torque load on drive shafts, when a wheel is momentarily airborne and free to spin, and then suddenly under heavy  torque when it lands.     

Its quite possible the drive shaft is a designed as the weakest link to protect internal gears etc. The balance between sufficiently strong, but sufficiently weak may tip due to  corrosion stress fractures.  So its worth protecting and extending its life  as much as you can.

The fact the near side shaft appears less affected could be because  Honda make it slightly stronger  to minimise extra failures  from driving off the kerb, . (Japan also drive on the left.)  But there could be other reasons  ,such as different length shafts etc.

Lets hope the high torque of the mk4 electric drive wont affect drive shafts. Probably less need to protect any internal gears .    Unless Honda push the limits to save weight.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

swhull

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2022, 02:48:05 PM »
Yes, I think the n/s is shorter. I know in America the o/s shaft had a recall on some Honda fits from 2009, but I think that was due to them not being coated properly therefore weakening them after exposure to the elements etc.

Tags: