Author Topic: Heated rear window  (Read 1416 times)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
Heated rear window
« on: January 17, 2022, 11:39:28 AM »
Comments please on efficiency of Jazz hybrid heated rear window.
Just wondering if it's a Honda 'thing' or have I got a duff one.
This morning I de-iced all as I wanted to go quickly.
The rear screen condensed inside, so turned heating element on. Top two lines heated
moderately quickly, the rest did heat up (not broken) but were so pathetic that after 5 miles driving (& with the car heater on) I still could not see out of the back window??
Thanks.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
Re: Heated rear window
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 11:52:12 AM »
I haven’t found this. Mine has cleared after a couple of minutes fine. I’d get it checked especially as the weather is only gonna get worse.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 12:20:42 PM »
Mine is fine, always clears the rear quite quickly, so you might have an issue. I usually turn it on when starting the car before de-icing and it's been clear when I drive off.

The heated steering wheel on mine isn't much use though - sometimes it goes warm for a while, other times stays cold. Apparently programmed that way so it doesn't burn the fingers of people who then sue Honda.

It's ok for taking a little bit of the cold off my fingers after de-icing but not much else.

The heated seats on the other hand are brilliant.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 12:22:13 PM by sportse »

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 12:32:04 PM »
I have found the heated rear window  heating element works very well. No problems and the element. I have also found the heated steering wheel works very well. The heats are hotter than they were in my previous car a Volvo XC60. I never need to keep them on very long.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 01:37:20 PM »
No complaints about our heated rear window, works perfectly. Fast enough and hassle free, top to bottom.
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 11:49:51 AM »
My rear window was covered in ice this morning - by the time I’d cleared the other windows myself the heater had completely cleared the rear screen.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 12:29:05 PM »
I thought the OP had a HRV not a Jazz?
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 12:52:14 PM »

Curious... he's asking about the Jazz rear heater.

I know we have very similar engines (HRV has a slightly bigger electric motor and battery pack) but the HRV could be completely different to the Jazz for interior parts.

It's just the Crosstar that's fully a Jazz.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 01:13:32 PM »

Maybe already mixed feelings?

If nothing goes right, go left!

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 07:27:58 PM »
I merely wondered if Hondas in general had inefficient rear window heaters. That's all.
This morning I left the ice on the back window and turned the  rear screen heater on and it cleared fairly heavy ice in half a mile, Suitable for removal by the wiper. What I didn't realise was that on the first occasion it was heavy condensation inside the screen. (bear in mind I am having to concentrate on getting used to completely different tech from the K, so was actually looking where I was going. Not concentrating on the back window!) :o
So it clears ice satisfactorily, but won't get rid of heavy condensation. So no problem really.
I am finding, as mentioned in another thread that the car does seem to condense fairly easily in the mornings, which I assume is down to the odd weather we are having at the moment.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 05:22:22 AM »
This is not the first time I've read about new cars seemingly being loaded with moisture that takes quite a while to clear, especially in winter.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 09:00:09 AM »
This is not the first time I've read about new cars seemingly being loaded with moisture that takes quite a while to clear, especially in winter.

Shouldn’t really be a surprise. The “new car smell” that some people prize is caused by residual out-gassing from the materials used to build the car, and some of that will be water vapour.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 09:10:09 AM »
Plus coming by sea from Japan then stored at the docks.

Tags: