Author Topic: Advice please - Car in garage has no power  (Read 1593 times)

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
Advice please - Car in garage has no power
« on: January 13, 2022, 09:32:38 AM »
Recovering from a complex hip replacement so no driving for 6 weeks until next Tuesday 18th. I have only started my new EX car, with less than 1,000 miles on clock, a few times in garage but no power at all this week. Is there something in the car draining the battery?. I will be phoning Honda Assistance on 18th. You think a jump start will do or will battery need recharging or is it something else?.

Appreciate any feedback.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Advice please - Car in garage has no power
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 09:34:55 AM »
Don't wait for the 18th. I appreciate you can't drive the car but it seems to me you should get it sorted now, and they can give you advice on how to keep it maintained whilst you are off the road. I suspect it is simply the little 12v battery needs charging up somehow.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 09:51:46 AM »
Try a search within this section MK4 for "flat battery". You can charge but care needed with attaching negative lead to correct point.
Your model too new for me, hope you soon fully recover from the Op.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »
agree its probably the relatively small 12 volt battery.  Modern cars have a small but constant  drain on the car battery. Computer systems wake up from time to time  , alarm systems have flashing lights etc.

If you have a garage with mains supply its probably a good idea to keep the battery topped up with a trickle maintenance charger. If you do it now you probably wont need to call Honda assistance ,and will be self sufficient for the future.   

Honda Assistance would probably just 'jump start' the car to get you going. You would be expected  to  immediately  give the car quite a long run  to charge the battery up.  If its not convenient or possible for you to do this at the time  the battery may become flat again very quickly. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 10:14:15 AM »
There is a school of thought that leaving the fob within range of the car can help drain battery

https://www.quora.com/Do-electronic-key-fobs-drain-your-car-battery?share=1
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 10:25:22 AM »
I'd be trying a trusted neighbour to sit in the car and power up each week.
Let's be careful out there !

JJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 10:52:07 AM »
Thanks guys. Bit of a bummer for hybrids if starting car in garage then switching off when it drops into EV within couple of minutes is draining battery. Obviously needed car needed a run. It’s a one off I hope getting a hip replacement. Is there anyway telemetrics is draining the battery or maybe boot light if on?.
I thought about getting a jump start once I got 6m long leads as car in garage. I think it’s best to wait until Tuesday for Honda Assistance jump start. I have been walking golden retriever twice a day without any crutch so feel fit enough for Tuesday.

Jump start page in manual
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 11:39:16 AM by JJazz »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 11:22:53 AM »
Thanks guys. Bit of a bummer for hybrids if starting car in garage then switching off when it drops into EV within couple of minutes.
I've noticed from my 'cigarette lighter' plug in volt meter that even when the car goes into EV mode the 12 volt battery may still be showing 14.4 volts -ie its still getting charged even when the engine is not running.   I assume this comes from the HV battery.
But its probably not a good idea to rely on the HV battery to repeatedly top up the 12 volt battery over an extended period of limited use.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

JJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 11:37:55 AM »
Charging battery in manual

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 12:15:17 PM »
Hi There,
             Battery has gone flat due to not driving car in daily use, When I was driving 12 to 18 miles a day then
             all was fine. when lockdown came into effect lots of cars had flat batteries, Including mine after 3 weeks
            (6-year-old battery so got new one). Most just needed charging up but in this day and age very few had
            battery chargers. So I would either borrow or buy a battery charger and charge up the battery over a 12
            24hr period.   

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 12:17:27 PM »
In a hybrid, as long as the car is powered up the 12V battery should be being charged just the same as if you were driving a normal car.

You don't have to drive anywhere, just sit in the car with it powered up for 30-60 minutes.

The petrol engine will start as necessary to keep the HV battery charged sufficiently, and the HV battery charges the 12V battery all the time the car is on.

If you turn off the climate control then the petrol engine won't start that much, or you can leave it on if it's cold outside and you want heat/are in an open area.

It's what I did with my Auris hybrid during the first lockdown, as they have very weak 12V batteries that cost a fortune to replace.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 12:37:00 PM »
I was about to post the same.

No need for a physical run. Turn off the heating/aircon when you power up.

Even when the engine stops the 12v battery is still being charged by the HV battery.
Let's be careful out there !

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 03:55:31 PM »
I expect I am stating the b obvious but make sure garage doors open and well ventilated if you are going to run the engine for an extended period to charge the battery.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 06:04:16 PM »
My Crosstar had two periods of inactivity last winter of nearly two months each. I gave the battery a top-up using a charger every two weeks or so but was interested to note that only a few minutes of charging were needed for the charger to indicate that the battery was fully charged. I suspect that a 5 minute top-up every month by just turning the vehicle on is plenty. If you start the car then the engine will run for a minute or so (depending on temperature) to warm itself up and that will put some more charge into the HV battery.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 11:10:52 AM »
Now I can drive after hip replacement I tried Honda AA Assistance app but got network error twice. I phoned Honda Assistance number on my mobile and AA van arrived within 45 mins. I opened bonnet, AA guy with hand held gadget under bonnet got me to start my car within 30 seconds, he did a few check checks inside car and told me all OK.

I went for a run for about an hour.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 11:22:33 AM by JJazz »

Tags: