Author Topic: Fuel inertia switch  (Read 1072 times)

JazzyJeff80

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 i-vtec
Fuel inertia switch
« on: January 04, 2022, 11:18:36 AM »
Hello all,

First off, apologies for my first post being one that is asking for help. Other than the current issue, and the car always thinking it has a flat tyre, our little Honda is the best car we've ever had.

However, I parked it in the garage just before going away on the 23rd and since we got back it won't start. I've charged the battery, tried jump starting it, changed the battery, checked fuses but it won't start.

I've done a bit of reading and seen a lot of talk, albeit with older models, that the fuel inertia switch could have kicked in. The day I put the car away I did have to do an emergency stop when someone pulled out on me on a roundabout, so perhaps it kicked in once I got home??

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you could give.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Fuel inertia switch
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 11:29:38 AM »
Hello all,

First off, apologies for my first post being one that is asking for help. Other than the current issue, and the car always thinking it has a flat tyre, our little Honda is the best car we've ever had.

However, I parked it in the garage just before going away on the 23rd and since we got back it won't start. I've charged the battery, tried jump starting it, changed the battery, checked fuses but it won't start.

I've done a bit of reading and seen a lot of talk, albeit with older models, that the fuel inertia switch could have kicked in. The day I put the car away I did have to do an emergency stop when someone pulled out on me on a roundabout, so perhaps it kicked in once I got home??

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you could give.

An emergency stop is hardly likely to affect the inertia switch - not enough 'G' and I doubt the switch would 'partially operate' and then trip out later..... now hitting another object,  hmmmm!  Sometimes a bad pothole may do it though. 

Is the engine turning over at all ?  The normal home of the inertia switch seems to be behind the lower LH plastic trim panel in passenger footwell.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 11:36:10 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 11:35:55 AM »
I had it happen on my MK3.
The AA came out to sort it and diagnosed a flooded engine.
I assume it is keyless ignition.
Put your foot hard to the floor on the accelerator and keep the starter button pressed in, do not release untill the engine starts. It started on the second attempt with my car.
Fingers crossed that is all that is wrong.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 11:49:03 AM »
I had it happen on my MK3.
The AA came out to sort it and diagnosed a flooded engine.
I assume it is keyless ignition.
Put your foot hard to the floor on the accelerator and keep the starter button pressed in, do not release untill the engine starts. It started on the second attempt with my car.
Fingers crossed that is all that is wrong.

Good point,  with the throttle floored with car stationary the fuel injection stops squirting fuel and allows the engine to clear itself, same on most modern cars.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 11:51:23 AM »
Mk3 Jazz does not have a physical inertia switch, it has an electonic open that is operated by the SRS system, so it wont be that.

There was an issue with longer starting time due to a situation with how the engine stops, as trebor1652 mentions carry out the starting by holding the start button for longer.

There was an engine ECU update to counter measure this issue if it becomes a further issue for you, contact your dealer.

JazzyJeff80

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 i-vtec
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 12:26:18 PM »
Mk3 Jazz does not have a physical inertia switch, it has an electonic open that is operated by the SRS system, so it wont be that.

There was an issue with longer starting time due to a situation with how the engine stops, as trebor1652 mentions carry out the starting by holding the start button for longer.

There was an engine ECU update to counter measure this issue if it becomes a further issue for you, contact your dealer.

That will be why I haven't found it then.  :D

The car doesn't have a start button, just the standard key in the ignition.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 12:28:48 PM »
Do the same.
Keep the engine cranking over and the cylinders will clear and the engine will fire up. (We hope)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 06:41:16 PM »
Some years ago my Mk2 engine died on me while driving, and would not restart although starter motor was turning it over.  Honda Assist summoned AA who were stumped, as the car’s electronics would not talk to their computer.  The problem was solved by disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting.  AA followed me to the the dealer who were unable to provide an explanation, and it never happened again.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 06:44:46 PM by Downsizer »

Tags:

anything