Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 4778 times)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Headlights
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2022, 10:47:23 PM »
If nothing goes right, go left!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2022, 08:13:40 AM »
With that Defender behind you, did you try the night position of the rear view mirror?  https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_90f/file.res/2021%20Jazz%20Owner%60s%20Manual.pdf (page 208).

In our Jazz it works!

Yes, but you haven’t read my comments properly. I did say that the pitching of his vehicle over road bumps caused his lights to shine into my car. That illuminated the inside of my cabin, into my eyes via the door mirrors (which can’t be dipped), and into the eyes of any oncoming driver. Searchlights on the front of cars, especially when mounted in the high position of SUV headlights, are unnecessary vanity devices that are hazardous to other road users.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2022, 10:35:59 AM »
With that Defender behind you, did you try the night position of the rear view mirror?  https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-owners-manuals/_jcr_content/par1/textcolumnwithimagem_1653971839/textColumn/richtextdownload_90f/file.res/2021%20Jazz%20Owner%60s%20Manual.pdf (page 208).

In our Jazz it works!

Yes, but you haven’t read my comments properly. I did say that the pitching of his vehicle over road bumps caused his lights to shine into my car. That illuminated the inside of my cabin, into my eyes via the door mirrors (which can’t be dipped), and into the eyes of any oncoming driver. Searchlights on the front of cars, especially when mounted in the high position of SUV headlights, are unnecessary vanity devices that are hazardous to other road users.

The ultra-blue Laser beams on German staff cars are the most dazzling,  I cannot for the life of me think why they are legal as they are no better than some EBay specials in the dazzle department. You can actually feel your retinas sizzling when one is approaching or stuck behind you glued to your rear bumper.  If there is an 'arms race' with headlights it is in response to the Germans fitting ex-military searchlights to their vehicles ( [removed by Admin] ).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 10:14:41 AM by RichardA »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2022, 11:29:10 AM »

In our Jazz it works!

Yes, but you haven’t read my comments properly. I did say that the pitching of his vehicle over road bumps caused his lights to shine into my car. That illuminated the inside of my cabin, into my eyes via the door mirrors (which can’t be dipped).

If I would be for many, many miles in such an annoying situation I would slow down and let him overtake me and not wait till he parks next to me. I would park next to him...  ;D
I do the same if someone finds it necessary to drive at 60 mph at two meters distance from my rear bumper...
My motto on the road: let the idiots go!
If nothing goes right, go left!

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2022, 11:41:16 AM »

In our Jazz it works!

Yes, but you haven’t read my comments properly. I did say that the pitching of his vehicle over road bumps caused his lights to shine into my car. That illuminated the inside of my cabin, into my eyes via the door mirrors (which can’t be dipped).

If I would be for many, many miles in such an annoying situation I would slow down and let him overtake me and not wait till he parks next to me. I would park next to him...  ;D
I do the same if someone finds it necessary to drive at 60 mph at two meters distance from my rear bumper...

Again, you haven't read my comments. The Defender was not glued to my rear bumper, he was a safe distance back. And slowing to allow an overtake depends on there being a safe opportunity to do that. On English rural roads that is often not the case.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2022, 11:46:27 AM »
I agree. If I'm being tailgated and flashing my hazard warning lights or dabbing the brakes doesn't get the message across, I wait for a suitable straight bit of road, pull over as much as I can and slow down. Sometimes the following car still doesn't get the message! Then I sometimes have to actually pull off the road to force them to pass. I will never speed up in response to being tailgated. Slowing down to create a safe stopping distance for the following vehicle is the only safe thing to do.
Neil Ives

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2022, 11:48:54 AM »
The OEM non-LED headlights on my Mk3 are perfectly adequate for all driving conditions.

I can understand an argument that LEDs are more environmentally friendly, but they should be designed to have equivalent light output to earlier bulbs rather than much greater and then relying on fancy beam-forming to avoid glare, because that is fallible under real-world conditions.

The wattage equivalent output of my classiccarleds LED H4 bulb is 80watts for both the dip and main,  so actually less than the 55 watt dip ( as for this discussion main beam 65watt does not really affect dazzle )  +200% filament bulbs you can legally fit, but which have a worse beam pattern and short service life.  It is actually the more usable beam pattern of flatter offside beam and more light on nearside verge that makes the LED bulbs better for me and others on here who fitted them, so it is better for me and better for oncoming vehicles.  Sure if there are bumps in the road ( unavoidable in UK ), but speed bumps are on low speed roads so should not be a problem if lights jump up,  except if someone thinks you flashed them on purpose.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2022, 01:55:33 PM »
they are a fashion accessory (like SUVs themselves).

Bit of a sweeping statement. They are for a lot of people, but mine is definitely not a fashion accessory. Rather it’s a necessity for a number of reasons.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2022, 05:57:32 PM »
I still say the headlights sensor turns the headlights on too early and leaves them on when not needed. :)
Let's be careful out there !

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2022, 06:28:46 PM »
I still say the headlights sensor turns the headlights on too early and leaves them on when not needed. :)
Agree completely, I have same problem with CRV hybrid with lights flashing on and off when going under trees in Summer…"potentially dangerous too!
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

IanG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2022, 11:46:24 PM »
Agree completely, I have same problem with CRV hybrid with lights flashing on and off when going under trees in Summer…"potentially dangerous too!
Was dangerous to me in a VW Golf I previously had. Lights were flashing on and off whilst driving past trees and the driver in front suddenly stopped, forcing me to brake to a stand still, then got out of his car, approached my driver’s window and started arguing aggressively about me flashing him repeatedly. Luckily he calmed down after accepting my explanation of the car’s unreliable electronics! The wipers also used to turn on in dry conditions and I found myself complaining about neighbours loud music late at night, only to discover the car radio had randomly switched itself on in my driveway. The head gasket failed on the day the car was collected new from dealers, dumping a pool of oil in my driveway. 2.0 GT TDI model. Checked the oil level and it was about an inch over the max level on dipstick. The CD player then failed and the replacement radio/CD unit still switched itself on randomly, which was eventually traced to a faulty ignition barrel. Then the door seals fell off, which were held with glue, not clips. Not impressed, considering it was a brand new car and the advertising at the time was ‘if only all things in life were as reliable as a Volkswagen’!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:52:17 PM by IanG »

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2022, 04:51:35 AM »
Same here on a previous Civic.

Auto headlights came on in a tree tunnel and driver pulled out of a side street ........ how I missed them I still don't know.

Maybe uncontrollable lights and CMBS are partners.

My main point in the old thread was that I was driving at 11:00 in far from darkness but I had dipped and tail lights blazing away.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 04:53:15 AM by Kremmen »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2022, 09:51:23 AM »
I have seen car headlights flashing on and off under trees and decided the automation had gone loopy,  also followed cars where rear lights have flashed, my human judgement decided the flashing tail lights not bright enough to be brake lights..  Why can't car makers be sensible and make the system keep the lights on for at least 20 to 30 seconds after they have been triggered ?

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »
Those flashing rear lights could be the 2 foot auto brigade.

They rest their left foot on the brake pedal which can be very sensitive.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2022, 12:09:20 PM »
I agree. If I'm being tailgated and flashing my hazard warning lights or dabbing the brakes doesn't get the message across, I wait for a suitable straight bit of road, pull over as much as I can and slow down. Sometimes the following car still doesn't get the message! Then I sometimes have to actually pull off the road to force them to pass. I will never speed up in response to being tailgated. Slowing down to create a safe stopping distance for the following vehicle is the only safe thing to do.

How many times do I have to say it: this was NOT a tailgating situation! The following vehicle was a safe distance back, the problem was that his lights were so bright that (even when dipped) the normal bumps and hill crests in the road created a hazard ahead of him.

I think I knew I wouldn't win this argument because no-one's going to give up what they perceive as an improvement, I just wanted to get the message across that bright lights are not universally popular and can create hazards. I don't think I'm alone in that:
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/are-car-headlights-too-bright-dazzled-drivers-say-its-getting-worse/
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/business/led-hid-headlights-blinding.html

It has to be possible for manufacturers to provide lighting that meets drivers' needs without engaging in the arms race of "Lets make it brighter than the other guy just because we can!"

Tags:

anything