Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 4768 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Headlights
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 05:56:36 PM »
Projector led headlights have a much  better defined cut off between dazzle and non dazzle. Dipped beam and main beam are actually the same bulb, with a shutter literally blocking  some of the beam pattern when dipped.

Problem is it must be adjusted so the beam  cut off point is below the other drivers line of sight, and this level can vary with vehicle load.   Also some drivers are not dipping when they should, or assume their self dipping lights are doing a good job.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2021, 07:05:44 PM »
I noticed that my headlights did not come on automatically on a misty day. Up until then I've just let the car decide when to turn the headlights on. Me and wifey had to have a quick lesson on how to turn the big lights on.
Neil Ives

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2021, 07:16:30 PM »
Is it just me, or do other members find the headlights on modern cars, to be quite dazzling? particularly some German staff cars and also some 4x4s.

I'm with you on that. There seems to be an "arms race" amongst light designers that thinks "brighter is better" without worrying about the effect on other road users. LED lights on pedal bikes can be almost as bad; they don't have to be aligned properly or have dipping mechanisms. The trend for SUVs doesn't help because the lights are higher. Another piece of poor design is putting the front indicators close to the headlights so that, even if the driver does use them, they are lost in the glare of the lights.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2021, 07:31:35 PM »
I am very happy with the LED lighting of our Jazz (even if the lenses are only 65mm  ;)). The road lighting is a lot better than with the H4 in our previous car.
In addition, I find the auto high-beam surprisingly good.
Dipping to oncoming traffic is done on time, even on bicycles with an LED headlight it responds as it should, just like the tail lights of cars driving in front of you.
Never had a signal of oncoming traffic in 4 months!

Even "Autophorie" (German, they test everything!  8)) was very positive. The conclusion can be read at 4:20 and I translate it here for you:

"Rating:

impeccable!

Very satisfactory for standard lighting technology.
The reaction to oncoming traffic and traffic ahead is as well reliable."

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:02:08 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 07:39:52 PM »
Is it just me, or do other members find the headlights on modern cars, to be quite dazzling? particularly some German staff cars and also some 4x4s.

I'm with you on that. There seems to be an "arms race" amongst light designers that thinks "brighter is better" without worrying about the effect on other road users...

The problem is that the construction and use regulations haven't caught up with the increased efficiency of LED and HED (arc lamp) lights. IIRC they specify a maximum wattage not a maximum light output.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2021, 09:19:23 PM »
Xenon lights have to have self levelling and headlight washers, but the Jazz LEDs don’t - even though they are a similar brightness.

It’s a strange quirk in lightning rules.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2022, 08:49:16 AM »
Xenon lights have to have self levelling and headlight washers, but the Jazz LEDs don’t - even though they are a similar brightness.

It’s a strange quirk in lightning rules.

It is easier to get a good beam pattern with LED,  and because LED run very cool on the front end ( heat comes out back of LED chips ) there is no heat to bake the dirt onto the lens, so no need for washer system.  Xenon are also at very blue end of spectrum ( up to 9000K ) and very, very annoying on the eyes.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 09:45:57 AM »
I'm very impressed with my LED headlights. Nice and white, and bright.
Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 10:50:26 AM »
I am a complete LED convert. Their brightness and cut off cannot be beaten. (imo) True70mph lights.
I would not buy a car with incandescent lighting.
SWMBO 12reg Jazz headlights are distinctly 'yellow' compared to my Karoq. I would not like to drive her Jazz outside an urban area at any speed, I think her lights are positively dangerous.(& No the lens have not clouded) Luckily she hates driving at night.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2022, 11:02:18 AM »
I am a complete LED convert. Their brightness and cut off cannot be beaten. (imo) True70mph lights.
I would not buy a car with incandescent lighting.
SWMBO 12reg Jazz headlights are distinctly 'yellow' compared to my Karoq. I would not like to drive her Jazz outside an urban area at any speed, I think her lights are positively dangerous.(& No the lens have not clouded) Luckily she hates driving at night.

I have had the benefit of LED lights with pretty perfect beam pattern for almost 4 years now, on MK2 Jazz and 8 gen Civic ( and motorbike ),  thanks to classiccarleds bulbs.  The beam has great cut-off and has a perfect 'uptick' to nearside which lights up the verge and signs very well... chalk and cheese with filament bulbs, OK £70 a pair but worth every penny. It is cheap and nasty badly designed Ebay rubbish that has got LED retrofits a bad name, they show a total lack of knowledge of legal beams requirements.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2022, 12:45:45 PM »
It is cheap and nasty badly designed Ebay rubbish that has got LED retrofits a bad name.

It's not just the (cheap E-bay or Alibaba) aftermarket LED bulbs that aren't perfect (understatement).
For example, the same "Autophorie" also tested the OEM LEDs of the much more popular competitor of our Jazz, the Toyota Yaris. You can see the results here. I'll give the conclusion (at 5:11) translated below the video:

Evaluation:

Because of the fog it was an "increased level of difficulty".

Nevertheless, the reaction to oncoming traffic as well as traffic ahead could be better. Oncoming traffic was briefly blinded even without fog.
The illumination of the high beam is also more selective in the distance and only partially "helpful".

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2022, 08:19:53 PM »
The dichotomy is that the driver with the “super lights” thinks they’re great, best thing since sliced bread, can’t be without them etc, whereas the person on the receiving end has a very different opinion. Difficult to reconcile those opposing views.

Case in point, I’ve just done a 40 mile round trip in darkness. On the outward journey I was followed by a Land Rover Defender with high-set lights (I know that’s what it was because he went to the same event and parked next to me!). I’m sure he was a very nice guy, kept his distance, lights properly fitted and adjusted, etc, but every time his car pitched up and down over the bumps in the road it was like a flashbulb going off inside my cabin. For a lot of the time I barely needed my lights, I could see the shadow of my car thrown by his lights ahead of me. These searchlights are just not necessary, they are a fashion accessory (like SUVs themselves). The OEM non-LED headlights on my Mk3 are perfectly adequate for all driving conditions.

I can understand an argument that LEDs are more environmentally friendly, but they should be designed to have equivalent light output to earlier bulbs rather than much greater and then relying on fancy beam-forming to avoid glare, because that is fallible under real-world conditions.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2022, 08:44:22 PM »
The Land Rover and Range Rover do seem to have a really nasty headlamp beam that picks up my door mirrors.
Neil Ives

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2022, 09:10:20 PM »
The OEM non-LED headlights on my Mk3 are perfectly adequate for all driving conditions.

I can understand an argument that LEDs are more environmentally friendly, but they should be designed to have equivalent light output to earlier bulbs rather than much greater and then relying on fancy beam-forming to avoid glare, because that is fallible under real-world conditions.

I am very happy that I got rid of the previous OEM non-LED headlights and now drive around in the dark with OEM LED headlights. (I don't need to go back to a past when "everything was better").
I find the "environmentally friendly" argument completely subordinate here to a much better view and more safety. I am happy that they have a much higher and whiter light output than my previous lamps.
And there's no such thing as fancy beam-forming, well-designed headlights, with proper cut off do NOT dazzle more than "historic" light bulbs when driving over bumps.
The problems are caused in general by incorrectly installed aftermarket xenon or LED kits.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2022, 10:19:44 PM »
I am very happy that I got rid of the previous OEM non-LED headlights and now drive around in the dark with OEM LED headlights. (I don't need to go back to a past when "everything was better").
I find the "environmentally friendly" argument completely subordinate here to a much better view and more safety. I am happy that they have a much higher and whiter light output than my previous lamps.
And there's no such thing as fancy beam-forming, well-designed headlights, with proper cut off do NOT dazzle more than "historic" light bulbs when driving over bumps.
The problems are caused in general by incorrectly installed aftermarket xenon or LED kits.

That encapsulates my point very neatly. The driver of a car with very bright lights is very happy with them, the greater light output makes him feel safer because he can see further. But that is detrimental to the safety of others because of the glare.

Also I should have said that the Defender in my example was new, so I very much doubt that it had cheapo  aftermarket lights. Take it from me OEM LED lights DO cause problems, especially when set high on an SUV.

Tags:

anything