Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 4704 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Headlights
« on: December 30, 2021, 03:16:15 PM »
Drove 30 miles this morning 10:15 to 11:00.

Little bit overcast but certainly not dark enough for lights.

All the way, headlights and tail lights on, no choice. I wasn't the only car with lights on but in my opinion DRL's would have been fine.

A bit too sensitive I think.
Let's be careful out there !

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Headlights
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 03:51:02 PM »
Same thing happened to me this afternoon between 2 & 3PM, as you say, no choice!
However, as I am a firm believer in being seen, (had 5 jazz cars, all Red) its not really a problem for me.
Its a pity drivers of some, silver, grey, charcoal or similar cars don't do the same thing.
I don't think they realise that those colours tend to blend in with the tarmac making them difficult to see in bad weather conditions.
They might be 'trendy', but in my view somewhat dangerous.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 04:42:22 PM »
Yes, the Jazz lights do come on in light I would consider good enough not to.

I think there may be a sensitivity setting that you can change for them, but as they are LED and not likely to wear out I haven't bothered.

They also tend to stay on a bit longer than other cars in the morning. It might be so that you are seen if going under tree shade/etc. as the sun is coming up.

FYI the daytime running lights are actually very bright on the Jazz - with them switched on, it's too bright to look at when standing in front of the car a few metres away. They are the brightest of any car I've owned.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 06:50:59 PM »
Daytime running lights are there to enable you to be seen in daylight conditions.  As daylight fades they can appear to bright and dazzling to other road users.  The first time I notice my lights have come on automatically I switch them manually to the on position, this avoids switching on and off as I go past overhanging trees and tall buildings etc.

I can't understand why people complain about their lights being on, its a safety feature and its not as if LEDs are draining the battery.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 06:56:08 PM »
I've come to accept that the lights are sometimes on when they don't need to be but the system on the Mk 4 is better than that on the Mk 3 which would respond completely differently whether driving towards or away from a low sun. Another improvement is the ability to disable the headlights from being triggered by a few seconds of rain after which they would stay on for several minutes.

I've also noticed that the vehicles in low-viz colours tend to be the last to turn their lights on. It doesn't help that the statutory lighting-up time is far removed from modern needs and many street lamps need near darkness before they turn on.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 07:18:29 PM »
A problem I didn't recognize as a problem...
When I see other drivers driving around in their fifty shades of gray with then I'm happy with this problem!
If nothing goes right, go left!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 09:11:31 PM »
Also not an issue for me.  I am quite happy for the lights to be on.  The problem with DRL is that they are only on the front.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 03:02:39 PM »

I've also noticed that the vehicles in low-viz colours tend to be the last to turn their lights on. It doesn't help that the statutory lighting-up time is far removed from modern needs and many street lamps need near darkness before they turn on.
Don't forget that is the dim drivers of dark cars that fail to 'turn on'. ;D
I think they have a death wish.
Perhaps they think turning the lights on costs them money??
These idiots drive me MAD. They get my high beam LEDS straight at them and the usual response is that their brake lights come on, presumably because they think I am warning of a speed trap. Then they meander on their suicidal journey in blissful and moronic ignorance. GRRHH! >:(
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 03:16:45 PM »

Don't forget that is the dim drivers of dark cars that fail to 'turn on'. ;D
I think they have a death wish.
Perhaps they think turning the lights on costs them money??
These idiots drive me MAD. They get my high beam LEDS straight at them and the usual response is that their brake lights come on, presumably because they think I am warning of a speed trap. Then they meander on their suicidal journey in blissful and moronic ignorance. GRRHH! >:(

There are a surprising number of vehicle driving around with a DRL out,  and as we know the rear lights do not come on with the front DRL.  Maybe people get brighter coloured cars because they are safety conscious, and the ones in the 'battleship grey' cars ( seems to be very popular ) do not give a toss.... they may well be dim drivers of dim cars...  It was heavy mist by us all last week, and unlit grey and dark cars loomed out of the fog no more than 20 metres away in some patches ( struggle to call it 'fog' compared to fogs I have driven with in the past, probably more like smog though as it made your face smutty on a motorbike and windscreen oily on a car ). Many auto headlights do not switch on in fog either... but some people seem to think they cover all conditions where headlights should be on, my eyes certainly do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 03:19:05 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 03:54:46 PM »
I can remember old  films, tv dramas etc where   spies, private detectives etc switched off their car lights to secretly follow suspects or approach their lairs.    And I'm guessing rural night  prowlers and poachers might like more control over lights.  ;D  8)

But on a more serious note.  When I worked  early and late shifts  and left or arrived home at unsocial hours I liked to have some control over how much  my headlights lit the house up, waking the family.  (even if just to deny them the pleasure of rolling over with a contented sigh and going back to sleep  :-* )
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 04:20:13 PM »
I can remember old  films, tv dramas etc where   spies, private detectives etc switched off their car lights to secretly follow suspects or approach their lairs.    And I'm guessing rural night  prowlers and poachers might like more control over lights.  ;D  8)

But on a more serious note.  When I worked  early and late shifts  and left or arrived home at unsocial hours I liked to have some control over how much  my headlights lit the house up, waking the family.  (even if just to deny them the pleasure of rolling over with a contented sigh and going back to sleep  :-* )

When I worked early and late shifts I used to get fed up of coming up behind cars with no rear lights on, very disconcerting on bendy roads, they hadn't even got the sense to know that rear lights not on with DRL only lit, and some DRL were bright enough to sort of drive by...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 04:28:10 PM »
Also not an issue for me.  I am quite happy for the lights to be on.  The problem with DRL is that they are only on the front.

Agree completely. Definitely DRL's should be on the rear also. Better safe than sorry.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 05:11:44 PM »
Time for another rant, still on headlights, but from a different point of view.
Is it just me, or do other members find the headlights on modern cars, to be quite dazzling? particularly some German staff cars and also some 4x4s.
I think its down to the design of the modern headlight.
In the old days we had the generic Lucas 55 watt headlight, shining through a 7"(178mm) dia 'Lens'.
Most new cars are of course LED, probably less wattage but more Lumens, shining through a much smaller diameter 'Lens', which will give a much higher point of light density, which I believe explains the dazzle created.
The 'Lens' on the Mk4 Jazz is only about 65mm dia, which again will have much higher point of light density than previous models, am I dazzling other drivers?
If we assume that the lumens output of both types is the same, then the light density of a 65mm lens will be something like 7 times brighter, because of the much reduced 'Lens' area, hence the problem, or have I got it all wrong??
End of rant >:( >:(

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 05:17:24 PM »
The first time I drove in complete darkness I adjusted the beam angle down a notch as I considered I was potentially dazzling others.
Let's be careful out there !

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 05:27:36 PM »
The first time I drove in complete darkness I adjusted the beam angle down a notch as I considered I was potentially dazzling others.

Yes mine are also down 1 notch :D

Tags: