Author Topic: Honda dealer dashcam supply and fit  (Read 4688 times)

GGT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
Re: Honda dealer dashcam supply and fit
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2022, 07:14:44 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. They're quite enlightening. Clearly, Halfords didn't want the job, for whatever reason. I think I need to speak to my Honda dealer about all this and see where I stand. I'll do this in the coming week. I'll post what they say, although I guessing it'll be warranty invalidated unless they fit their dashcam, but you never know.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2022, 08:34:15 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. They're quite enlightening. Clearly, Halfords didn't want the job, for whatever reason. I think I need to speak to my Honda dealer about all this and see where I stand. I'll do this in the coming week. I'll post what they say, although I guessing it'll be warranty invalidated unless they fit their dashcam, but you never know.

There is no way plugging a dashcam into accessory / power socket can invalidate  the warranty...   
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 08:36:27 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2022, 08:56:45 PM »
So if I want a Viofo A119 V3 I assume Honda would not fit it.  I don't want to fit it myself, so I wonder who else is capable of fitting it without invalidating the Honda warrantee?  I'm stuck it seems.

...I got two Viofos on Kremmen's recommendation. The Honda dealer fitted mine and my normal garage chappy fitted the wife's in a VW Up.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2022, 04:48:40 AM »
I wonder how the dealer wired it in?

The option connectors are not available in the UK as single items. Piggyback?

IIRC Halfords avoid wiring in accessories in modern CANBUS vehicles because the circuits are more heavily protected against excessive volts or amps draw and will close an unexpected change circuit down.
Let's be careful out there !

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2022, 04:47:43 PM »
...I got two Viofos on Kremmen's recommendation. The Honda dealer fitted mine and my normal garage chappy fitted the wife's in a VW Up.
How much did the dealer charge for fitting your own dashcams?

GGT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2022, 06:54:55 PM »
I've quizzed my Honda dealer. Regarding third party dashcam fitting and invalidating my warranty, they ummed and ahhed for a bit then said it wouldn't be invalidated. Then they went on to say that if the car developed an electrical fault and a third party install was proven to be the cause, then they wouldn't be covering the cost to put the fault right. They were quite pragmatic about the whole thing. I don't think you can argue with that.

They're also happy to fit a dashcam that I supply. They said that it would cost £130-£140, though. They furthered with telling me that there's loads of people out there who would do it for less. They added, don't use Halfords, though. A bullet dodged there, perhaps.

They parted with a warning about buying a good quality one. They said some customers had fitted their own and it had "taken out" the reversing camera. They didn't elaborate whether that meant disabled or damaged. I wish I'd asked. How would a dashcam do that? Surely more likely a botched installation than an obscure side effect of the dashcam itself?

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2022, 07:06:58 PM »
How much did the dealer charge for fitting your own dashcams?

...The Honda dealer charged £65. I'm not sure exactly what they used but it works fine. I've had parking mode set at 48hrs and had no problems.
They said there was no guarantee on the device obviously, just the fitting. I don't envisage any problems though.

The garage that fitted the Wife's just tacked on an extra half hour of labour.

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2022, 05:46:38 PM »
There seems to be a big discrepancy between the price Honda dealers will charge to fit a customer supplied dashcam.  GGT quotes £130-140 and shufty £65.  Maybe dealers haven't got their act together yet.

GGT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2022, 07:59:42 PM »
I know. That's a big difference. When I called them to see if they supplied and fitted, they said they'd only just started doing it. Their £399 for one choice of a pretty average setup that I wasn't that keen on seemed expensive as well. When I went in to ask if they'd fit one I'd purchased I got the impression I'd caught them of guard. Their response was along the lines of "I suppose we could". I was surprised they'd fit one they didn't supply. They quoted me £117 an hour, and said it would be a bit over an hour. I hope that's for front and rear. I think my plan is to go for a Viofo, which a lot of you here rate highly. I'll get the Honda dealer to fit it. I know their fitting is expensive but I can't be bothered to shop around and hopefully it'll be done properly. By the time I'm done I'll only be £50 or so off their offering, but I'll have a much better system.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2022, 08:34:21 PM »
...I was buying a brand new mk4 though. That may have affected the install price.
If I was having it fitted to a non hybrid then I  probably wouldn't have gone to the dealer in the first place.

Tags: