Author Topic: Winter is almost here  (Read 3852 times)

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
Re: Winter is almost here
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2022, 12:29:04 PM »
I've got a better solution........ I leave mine in the garage  ;D

One benefit of retirement and having a local supermarket and B&Q

+1 that’s the sensible thing to do.

Plasma.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2022, 11:09:34 AM »
Further to the strange puncture with the hawthorn in the tyre I got a couple of Nokian WRD4 ( the D3 model discontinued ) for Civic and will put new ones on same axle.  I noticed that the D3 had two sets of wear bars, one with snowflake on at 4mm and a normal plain wear bar at 1.6mm.   The D4 ( different tread pattern ) has just one set of wear bars,  with snowflake on at 1.6mm.   This may be down to the new tread pattern being better than the older D3 ones, so the same tread depth now OK for normal and mud/snow use.  So 2.4mm of extra tread wear - happy days.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2022, 12:54:21 PM »
Further to the strange puncture with the hawthorn in the tyre I got a couple of Nokian WRD4 ( the D3 model discontinued ) for Civic and will put new ones on same axle.  I noticed that the D3 had two sets of wear bars, one with snowflake on at 4mm and a normal plain wear bar at 1.6mm.   The D4 ( different tread pattern ) has just one set of wear bars,  with snowflake on at 1.6mm.   This may be down to the new tread pattern being better than the older D3 ones, so the same tread depth now OK for normal and mud/snow use.  So 2.4mm of extra tread wear - happy days.
I suspect its also due to the fact european countries differ so much in their winter tyre requirments. Some have a minimum of 4mm, others 3mm, some as low as 1.6mm. Or regulations change depending on weather conditions.Some allow summer tyres with 4mm.  So a universal 4mm wear bar is not always relevant to all countries.
  You need to comply with the minimum requirements of any countries  you might visit.  Austria requires 4mm. I cant see them accepting a Nokian 1.6mm instead.   

As winter rated tyres are not required in the uk it has always  been legal to take them down to 1.6mm .  Their better cold temperature  performance would still give them some advantage  over a 1.6mm summer tyre.     
But I would rather have 3mm or better still 4mm.

Here is a quite comprehensive list of requirements in different countries

https://www.ecc.bg/assets/images/documents/Winter_tires_2019.pdf
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 12:56:35 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: