Author Topic: HPI check alerted Mileage discrepancy  (Read 1460 times)

JenniferJazz09EX

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2009 EX silver
HPI check alerted Mileage discrepancy
« on: April 24, 2022, 05:01:01 PM »
Hi. Was going to buy a Jazz 2008 EX in Portsmouth. Was 3900. I paid twenty quid for the HPI detailed check and it came back with a mileage discrepancy. It was being sold with 69,000 on clock but my HPI check said it had been registered with a 78, 000 on clock several years ago. I told the dealer this and said you are selling a car that's had its clock wound back. He was adamant it hadn't and that the 'website' I was using had made a mistake. I'd screenshot the HPI mileage record ans sent it to him. Could he be right? He comes from a dealer with a good reputation. The price is to good to be true though because there was one in Brighton younger (2009) with 101,000 on clock for 3600. Which when I got a professional valuation on it came out as worth 3300 to 3600. I bought it for 3300.
Should I tell trading standards about that car or is it not worth it in case genuine mistakes do happen at mileage recordings.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: HPI check alerted Mileage discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 08:10:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum. It is not am offence to sell a car with incorrect mileage unless you advertise it a genuine mileage. Car instruments may have failed and been replaced with a new or newer unit. The dealer may well have bought the car with the indicated mileage. Best bet is always to check here https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 04:33:28 AM »
There's also a free Android app 'Vehicle Smart' that divulges lots of information.
Let's be careful out there !

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 11:07:11 AM »
Let it go the place to check used cars is Most history check in Govt website. There are 100s of good Jazz out there, the key aspect being condition once your looking at cars over 7 yes old. Don't pay Hugh £ for low mileage. Happy hunting.

JenniferJazz09EX

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2009 EX silver
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 09:19:53 PM »
Thanks. Brilliant advice.

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 09:09:59 AM »
Remember that a mileage discrepancy could just be an MOT tester entering the wrong mileage in when they are typing it up. So 69k could end up being 79k. I don’t think that much difference would bother me too much as long as the vehicle condition matched the mileage and the paperwork backed it up but I certainly wouldn’t pay too money for it just in case.
If the discrepancy was 120k down to 80k then alarm bells would ring for sure.
It would actually be quite easy to buy a car with 50k miles, do 40k miles in a year then get the mileage wound back to 55k before the MOT so there’s no knowing if the mileage is true or not. I have met people who drive 50-60k a year for work and they tend to buy small cheap comfy cars as they lose so much money with the excess mileage they do it’s not worth getting a big executive car as it would lose tens of thousands each year potentially.

MiniNinjaRob

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz EX 1.4
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 09:13:09 AM »
Let it go the place to check used cars is Most history check in Govt website. There are 100s of good Jazz out there, the key aspect being condition once your looking at cars over 7 yes old. Don't pay Hugh £ for low mileage. Happy hunting.

Low mileage does not mean less problems. If a car was 10 years old I would prefer a 100k car that’s been looked after than a 50k car that’s only been used for short journeys, it can be very damaging for a car and certainly not worth paying a huge premium for.
Buy on condition and history rather than mileage. My 105k jazz has almost no rust around the wheel arches but I saw a few which were a lot worse with much lower mileage

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 09:39:15 AM »

Low mileage does not mean less problems. If a car was 10 years old I would prefer a 100k car that’s been looked after than a 50k car that’s only been used for short journeys, it can be very damaging for a car and certainly not worth paying a huge premium for.
Buy on condition and history rather than mileage. My 105k jazz has almost no rust around the wheel arches but I saw a few which were a lot worse with much lower mileage
:P
I resemble that remark :P

Are you saying my 10 year old Jazz with 50k miles is a load of junk? And rusty?

People have been flogged for less  ;D :o

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 12:40:39 PM »
My Jazz went from 82612 to 873380 between the 2015 and 2016 MOTs. Luckily it went round the clock and up to 95239 by its next MOT in 2017.  :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 04:28:03 PM »
It's a bit suprising that the MOT data entry system doesn't have a simple check on the mileage. Look at the history of RO11 OGR and you'll see that it failed on 22nd March 2016 at 22,677 miles then passed on 23rd March 2016 at 202,881 miles. There's also probably no alert that the clock has been wound back when entering the next MoT data.

How easy is it to wind back a digital odometer?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 09:06:30 PM »
How easy is it to wind back a digital odometer?
You don't wind it, you just reprogram it.
It is done with a special piece of software via the ODBII interface. Access to the software is carefully controlled, but a dealer can do it.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 11:21:09 AM »
The digital odometer on my dad's Kia Rio was replaced by the dealer when the car had done around 20k. The mileage was never corrected. This was before the car was due its first MOT so there is no discrepancy on the MOT history. I suspect the service book though highlighted the discrepancy.

Tags: