Author Topic: Safety of keyless jazz ex  (Read 2694 times)

Jazz999

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark3 s
Safety of keyless jazz ex
« on: March 09, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »
I have made enquiries into the safety of my new keyless entry jazz ex. To get the story straight, I rang 5 different dealers, who all tell me that security of the keyless jazz cannot be compromised by a range extender. Now I understand why they say this, and it's probably because the thieves really wouldn't want to steal a honda, they want the big fish range rovers, mercs, BMW's.etc. So when I put this to the dealer in London where I purchased my car from, he suggested I go on eBay, and purchase a Faraday pouch for a fiver...Really !!!!!  Honda have installed an immobilizer, and alarm, and also supposedly decent locks on these vehicles, to now tell me that if I don't buy a pouch off eBay, I could go out and find an empty parking space where my jazz was. I am still hoping the lovely thieves in today's society are too scared to damage there street cred to come and steal my jazz.. The morale to this sad story is, just make sure if you have a keyless car, you do indeed go and invest in a pouch , just incase some scumbag opens your car by mistake

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Safety of keyless jazz ex
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 08:45:46 AM »
It is impossible to protect keyless fob without a faraday cage / pouch to shield it,  as for making the keyless immune to a range extender relay box, all the relay box is doing is collecting the signal from your fob inside the house and relaying it to the car,  the car won't know if it is the real signal or a relayed one..... that is the problem with convenience,  it also mostly turns out to be convenient for the bad guys as well,  like free WiFi....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 08:49:57 AM »
Would be easy to fit an ff switch on a key. Not sure why they don't do it. Me? I take my chances by always leaving my car key in the office upstairs at the back of the house and dropping it into a fancy decorative tin I keep there.

Jazz999

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 09:30:06 AM »
And the car manufacturers call keyless cars  progress . Really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 03:58:38 PM »
And the car manufacturers call keyless cars  progress . Really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nah, they just did a poor job of designing them. Two things would fix the problem:
* Adding a sleep function to the fob that disables keyless functionality after an interval without movement (a couple of minutes) and enables it when motion is detected.
* Disable keyless starting on the vehicle within that same interval.

The reason for the prohibition on restarting is so that a thief can't leap into the car before you've hung your jacket up or otherwise stored your keys. An advantage of these changes is that the battery would last longer since the fob would spend most of its time in a low power state waiting for movement.

Jazz999

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 05:21:34 PM »
You just got yourself at job at Honda car design..👍👍

trb

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2013 I-VTEC EXL
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 09:36:04 PM »
This is just part of the wider issue of electronics on the Mark 3.  I bought one a few months ago, principally because its 6 year old predecessor had been highly reliable, and it still had useful features like the 'magic seats'.

The new car is quiet to drive and meets my (old bloke) driving needs.  The absence of a proper spare wheel is still a cheat, but that's not confined to Honda.  I transplanted the spare wheel and tyre that I had in the previous car.  But I think that they let the teen team loose on the electronics.  The door lock is capable of opening without the car being touched if you walk past your parked car with the key in your pocket.  The satnav is nice but if you don't turn it then on the digital clock is so faint as to be useless.  The touch switches for heating etc are far less useful than the old knobs and sliders: you have to look at them to touch the right ones and correct any accidental touch of an adjacent one.  In road safety terms, this is on a par with fiddling with your mobile.  The tiny on-off switch for the radio looks as though it was a complete afterthought.  The wing mirrors still won't fold after you switch the engine off: no easy last-minute look down the road as you open the door.  The lane-drift avoidance is just annoying: I don't instinctively signal to change lanes on an empty road. 

The real clue is that the English-only handbook extends to over 500 pages of tiny print.  There must be functions that I won't discover, let alone use, over many years.  I'd far rather not have had to pay for something something so complicated, in order to get the physical enhancements of the EX, and certainly rather than paying for basics like rubbing strips on the doors.  Finally, why can't I order all-season tyres on a brand new car?  Delivery was repeatedly delayed until I paid for a month's tax on a car that I had taken delivery of. I rather wish that I had cancelled and gone to Kia.  I wouldn't buy another.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 07:56:19 AM »
New cars are so complicated. Like fancy software you only need to learn what you need to use.
Touch wood, by my last puncture was 30 years ago, so a lack of a spare wouldn't trouble me.

guest8810

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 08:26:31 AM »
New cars are so complicated. Like fancy software you only need to learn what you need to use.
Touch wood, by my last puncture was 30 years ago, so a lack of a spare wouldn't trouble me.

Hi Jocko.
You are tempting providence now. hope your luck holds out mate.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 10:54:07 AM »

I've had 2 punctures in the last 10 years. The first one was a pothole filled with rain and it tore the sidewall so the gunk would have been no use. The second one was a slow so I was able to drive to ATS to get a new tyre.

I did use a spacesaver for the pothole incident but I could just have easily called out Green Flag. I'm not over concerned about the lack of a spare. Might think differently if I lived in a remote area.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 03:16:48 PM »
In 30 years of driving I've never had a puncture. We had this discussion on another forum and could draw no conclusions. There was even someone who lives in the same town as me and drives the same roads but has had two punctures.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 05:30:40 PM »
In 30 years of driving I've never had a puncture. We had this discussion on another forum and could draw no conclusions. There was even someone who lives in the same town as me and drives the same roads but has had two punctures.

Punctures are totally luck of the draw. Having said that I do avoid going on areas of the road that vehicles do not use often and tend to gather rubbish ( Like that 'V' that forms at road junctions and the area next to the kerb ) I do this on motorbike as well,  and also on motorbike avoid the area in centre of a lane between the normal wheel tracks as this not only collects rubbish but also oil.  The theory being that if I stay on well used areas that so many tyres have gone over already that they may have picked up the object. Mind you with all the deep potholes that you have to spend more time looking out for than actually looking for other vehicles and obstructions they can rip a tyre to shreds and even buckle or crack a rim, and sods law says there will be a deep pothole that you cannot swerve to avoid because vehicles are coming the other way...... 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: