Author Topic: Flat battery !!!!!!!  (Read 6143 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Flat battery !!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »
Through lack of usage my battery is flat. Someone has kindly loaned me a charger but I have no intention of using the car until we can come out of isolation. Is there any point in doing a recharge (from the point of battery health) until I actually want to use the car? In the meantime I have merely disconnected the negative lead. Thanks.

Do not leave a battery in a discharged state - it will destroy it...... lead acid batteries like to be kept over 80% charged or more,  below that the plates sulphate up ( almost certainly irreversible no matter what the makers of expensive battery chargers claim ) and shed active material,  both of which severely degrade the battery - leaving power off the electrics may not be a good idea either.

A deep cycle stop-start battery will tolerate being deeply discharged for short periods but will be far happier if kept in decent state of charge - if you are going to disconnect battery anyway why not remove it and keep it on charger off the vehicle in the house or garage.  If you want to leave charger connected make sure it has a 'maintain' function where after main charging it can switch over to a 'float' charge,  normally a light changes from amber or red to green on charger when it is happy and is in maintain mode.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:45:38 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 10:30:21 AM »
+1

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 12:57:49 PM »
There's a lot of it about just now. I tried to give a neighbour a jump start yesterday. Turns out the battery in his 12 plate Mercedes A class is under the driver's seat which, unluckily, was against the pavement. Just couldn't  get close enough. He got going with one of those Lion packs. Our street has set up a great Whatsapp help group.

I'll pass on the tip about keeping it fully charged but at 8 years if it's the original battery I suppose that's to be expected.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 01:08:00 PM »
Hi There,
Left car standing for 3 weeks then took it for drive, 2 days later moved car to work in on garage doors had not closed car drivers door properly. So interior light left on went to start in the evening flat battery. Have been looking at new battery last year as this is 2014 car, but the battery is not original it is a Varta 35ah 290a so this battery is at least 3 years old. looked at Yuasa ybv5054 as this the honda original. Had a look on ebay and other sites selling for about £50.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 04:50:52 PM »
Notice Tayna give a 5 year warranty with Yuasa YBX5054 - some sellers only give 4 years ...

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/

Tayna also selling this gizmo -

https://www.tayna.co.uk/battery-chargers/ctek-accessories/40-149/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 04:55:53 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2020, 09:44:07 AM »
Notice Tayna give a 5 year warranty with Yuasa YBX5054 - some sellers only give 4 years ...

This battery is not  for cars with Start and Stop.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2020, 10:17:06 AM »

This battery is not  for cars with Start and Stop.

Good point,  you need to check handbook if you car has idle stop.

idle stop-start needs a flooded or AGM deep cycle battery.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 12:04:03 PM »

Good point,  you need to check handbook if you car has idle stop.

idle stop-start needs a flooded or AGM deep cycle battery.
2015 Jazz has idle stop-start, the OEM model is an EFB Yuasa YBX7053.
Similar EFB models can fit, as following:

Banner 55515
Varta Silver Dynamic EFB N-55/80B24L
Bosch ST Hightec EFB 70B24L (N55L)

Other models can be found in Japan, but here we can only have Yuasa, Banner and maybe Bosch and Varta (I found these last two only in asean online shops).
AGM would be better for carging cycles, but AGM batteries (as Optimas) must be recharged under 50°C, and I don't know if the engine bay of our Jazz can keep this temperature and if the charging system can inhibit deep recharge if the battery temperature is higher.  Many BMWs have the AGM battery inside the trunk, this is for weight balancing but also for keeping the battery fresher. Also many toyota hybrids have a small AGM battery for 12V services placed in the boot.
I presume that our Jazz has been built for EFBs, so if temperature check will be done during recharging, it will be set for EFBs, not for AGMs.
Last but not least, in a 2015 Jazz with stop&start standard batteries should not be used  at all, even if the user will disable the S&S at every start: the recharging system will send to the battery an higher amount of current, good for an EFB  but too high for a standard battery, so a cheaper battery will last much less even if the S&S will be disabled by the user.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:30:09 PM by jazzaro »

Henryge

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »
Hi There, Mine is pre stop start so i'am ok ordered yesterday total £56.46. Get it for weekend then trickle charge it :D

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2020, 01:34:59 PM »
Just had a look under the bonnet on my 19 plate EX, which has idle stop/start and the wording on the battery is rather different,  to what has been listed by other members.

It is  GSYUASA B24 (JIS) 12v (made in Japan) 50AH. 490CCA,

This seems to be a much larger battery, than what I remember on previous Jazz’s I’ve owned,
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 01:37:40 PM by Kenneve »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2020, 02:27:18 PM »
Just had a look under the bonnet on my 19 plate EX, which has idle stop/start and the wording on the battery is rather different,  to what has been listed by other members.

This seems to be a much larger battery, than what I remember on previous Jazz’s I’ve owned,

i checked mine yesterday, i have the same battery and it was at 12.54v so i took it for a run to get it back to 12.85v but it always starts instantly even after a week or two, must be the more powerful agm battery style

im more concerned about the a/c compressor when you first turn it on after a week or so it makes a bigger click noise than its usual on off noise, it works ok and its just on the first switch on after a week or so, so must be normal

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »

Yep, I have to update my infos.
According to user manuals , it looks like manual gearbox Jazz have different batteries from CVTs, and the MY19 have bigger batteries than earlier model years. My19 have N65 size batteries, earlier my have a smaller (and harder to find) N55.
My battery is slowly dying, according from the instrument panel. 3 Years, 37000 miles, the idle stop start does not work anymore even after an overnight recharge (following the technical paper). The cold startup is still good, but I will buy a spare Yuasa or a Banner for the next winter.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:33:42 AM by jazzaro »

Henryge

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »
Hi All, Just my battery delivered so 2 to 3 days after ordering great going in these times. Very well packaged and sealed from any leakage, took red seal caps off either sides. will trickle charge up weekend lots of work around and inside house. Stay safe Keep well

Tags: