Author Topic: My 2004 jazz cvt has started juddering taking up the drive is this belt slip?  (Read 2069 times)

rabsjazz

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz cvt
As indicated in subject, my jazz is juddering when taking up the drive, its worse when  carrying passengers. I can stop it by backing off the throttle then reapplying. Is this an indication of Belt Slip? the car has 46000 miles logged.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
This sounds like a known problem with the CVT gearbox. The transmission fluid should be changed every two years or 25K miles whichever is the soonest. Do you know when the fluid was last changed?
Only Honda CVT-F fluid must be used and I would you suggest you have it done including a flush, effectively two fluid changes with a few miles drive in between.
A Honda dealer will charge about £80.

Vic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
I would add that Honda originally recommended a 4 year / 50k mile (whichever comes first) change interval for the CVT fluid. This interval was changed to 2 years/25k miles in about 2013 for the Mk 2 Jazz when the CVT judder problems on the Mk 1 Jazz became evident. However, I don't think that Honda ever officially changed the recommended interval for the CVT Mk 1 Jazz but, sensibly, the recommendation applies given that the judder is caused by a build-up of crud in the gearbox which the fluid change helps to get rid of.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
If it's any help, a fellow Jazz owner of my acquaintance had a MK1 Jazz and this developed the judder and the fluid change did the job.

rabsjazz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz cvt
This sounds like a known problem with the CVT gearbox. The transmission fluid should be changed every two years or 25K miles whichever is the soonest. Do you know when the fluid was last changed?
Only Honda CVT-F fluid must be used and I would you suggest you have it done including a flush, effectively two fluid changes with a few miles drive in between.
A Honda dealer will charge about £80.

Vic.
Thanks for that. I far as I know the fluid  has never been changed, I once asked a non honda garage to do it, they said ' its best not messed with' £80 seems like a cheap fix I'll get done.

mikefitz

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2002 iDsi CVT
I wasn't aware Honda changed the interval from 50k to 25,000km. I have a 2002 GD-1.
I was recommended XADO EX120 additive. With a CVT-F change and the additive the judder has gone.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Is it just me or are there a lot of single posters advocating the merits of XADO EX120 additive? Have you noticed this Richard?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Snake oil ? better to put the cost to your local charity box.

jon1612

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 idsi cvt 7 sport
No this stuff is well documented to work with the Jazz cvt judder
I have used it and worked within 3 miles, also its the start clutch not the belt causing the judder

andyx

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2003 jazz auto
No this stuff is well documented to work with the Jazz cvt judder
I have used it and worked within 3 miles, also its the start clutch not the belt causing the judder

I've just used this in my gearbox and within 10 miles the judder had vanished

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
I added it to a full flush about 1k mikes ago and all is still OK, the flush on it’s own probably would have been enough but for £20 I thought it was an extra bit of insurance.

Tags:

anything