Author Topic: Seriously considering moving on.  (Read 8372 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Seriously considering moving on.
« on: June 12, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
My wife is really rather ill at the moment, and we are back and forward for hospital appointments and tests. Add to that the fact my mother-in-law is in hospital and when we don't have clinics we have visiting. I am now doing 80+ miles a day and finding the little Jazz rather wearing. It is just too noisy, and too uncomfortable for that daily mileage. Only thing I do love is the fuel economy. I need something quieter and more refined. With the exception of today, the past few days have been really warm and humid, so air con is high on my wish list too.
God forbid, but I think it will have to be a diesel. I say God forbid, because I hate diesels. They are dirty and smelly and they way things are going I can see legislation coming down even harder against them. But how else do I get 54 mpg.
Had a quick look at a Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDi SE, but it was only a quick glimpse as I didn't have time. No idea what mpg that would return until I do my research.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Seriously considering moving on.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 01:58:35 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your wife and mother-in-law Jocko. I can see the issue - the Jazz is a great short range runabout and fine for the odd long journey but if I had an 80 mile daily trip I'd be looking for something a bit bigger and something capable of cruising at 70 with minimal noise. I have to say my CVT Mk3 is very relaxed at 70 with the engine running at below 2,500 revs.

The distance is a bit to much for an older Nissan Leaf for example but my pal has a Tekna Leaf and that wafts along very nicely with no noise.

I think a diesel might be the best choice though in the circs even though I share your reservations.

guest7494

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 02:29:51 PM »
Hi Jocko
very sorry to hear about your situation, and 80 mile trips daily must be very wearing, please keep us in the loop reference your research etc.
I also think that diesel engined cars will be hammered in the near future, a very difficult choice to be made.
I hope you are successful in your search of available vehicles that meet your criteria.
And wish you every success.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 02:33:59 PM »
Had a quick look at a Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDi SE, but it was only a quick glimpse as I didn't have time. No idea what mpg that would return until I do my research.

Sorry to hear about your wife Jocko, hope things get better soon.

The Civic is a nice car but very low to get in and out of, believe me the Jazz is much better in that respect.  Getting in and out of Civic rear seats it is easy to hit your head on door frame, Civic feels about a foot wider in the rear seats and has fold down centre armrest -overall a much more comfortable car and much better performance, can't comment on diesel mpg though, ours is a petrol.  One thing is that on diesel engine the oil filter is on top of engine, so no need at all to get under car if you suck oil out.

Steering in Civic is much more direct, you hardly have to turn steering wheel, catches me out when I drive her indoors Jazz and don't turn wheel enough, downside is that Civic harder to park ( bigger turning circle than jazz and bulky rear restricts rear visibility, I had to fit parking sensors to Civic, first time I have felt I needed them on a car.  That rear spoiler actually works well to keep following headlights out of interior mirror, only 4x4 lights shine through above it.

Can't get full size spare wheel in though, wheel well is deep enough and long and wide enough to take wheel, but because of the way floor pan overhangs front of the well you have try to get wheel in on an angle, and it won't go, maybe if you loose air out of tyre out could bash it in....

From talking to people who have owned 2.2cdti they can use oil, will come as a shock after Jazz to have to top it up, my 1.8vtec Civic uses no oil at all.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:48:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 02:35:08 PM »
Engine noise is not a great issue, it is more tyre and road noise. I am not looking at spending a lot of money. The Civic was a 2007 with 140K on the clock at £1000 OVNO. According to Fuelly the 2.2 diesel should return similar mpg as my Jazz, albeit diesel is a bit pricier than petrol.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 02:39:02 PM »
Have you looked at the 1.6 dtec engine which I believe returns approx 70+mpg?

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »
I was considering a civic diesel then noticed Glasgow and Edinburgh are about to implement congestion zones, petrols are fine after 2006...diesels need to be 2016 or newer, way beyond my budget.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 03:21:54 PM »
Hi Jocko, I hope things improve for you and your family.
Don't forget that diesel is more expensive than petrol and that consumption isn't all that better. Also that diesel servicing costs are higher.
Personally I would stick with petrol and go for a CVT. My fuel consumption is about 50mpg on average but the CVT and air con are very desirable.
Good luck.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »
Have you looked at the 1.6 dtec engine which I believe returns approx 70+mpg?

You will be very lucky to get one of those for £1000.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 05:00:11 PM »
Sounds a sensible move in a difficult situation.

Not decisive but I'd heard from that independent garage in Stockport that works on a lot of Hondas that the 2.2 diesel can have some problems at higher mileages. There are a few 1.4 civics about with similar mpg figures to a Jazz.  Might be a bit gutless which I'm not a fan of for longer journeys.

Might a a heresy but from what I've heard the Toyota diesels are more reliable. A 2.0 Auris diesel 09 plate with 140k is about £1500. With a combined 60mpg and good words from Honest John it might be worth a look.

I'd be tempted to look at a Hyundai i20 for only a little more money.

Good luck
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 05:46:09 PM »
I am not wedded to the idea of a Honda, necessarily, it was just that I saw the Civic. I would much prefer a petrol engined car, especially as most of my miles are into/through Edinburgh, it is just that for the miles I am doing I need good mpg. My Volvo S40 was the dogs doodahs, just that the mpg figure sucked.
I am only looking for a short term fix, as hopefully everything will be resolved over the next year or so. I am even considering the option of keeping the Jazz and running two cars. I did that for a number of years, back in the 70's and 80's.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 10:18:15 PM »
Engine noise is not a great issue, it is more tyre and road noise.
Some tyres are better than others for noise. A few months ago I replaced the Michelin Primacy tyres (which were getting towards needing replacement) on my HR-V with Michelin Cross-Climates which run more quietly, particularly on concrete surfaces.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 11:45:29 PM »
Jocko. Hate to say this but the Frogs have always made cars that are generally good on rough road comfort, if you can get them to start, that is....

Ps - An amusing DIY review here and perhaps an interesting MPG challenge nudging into the 50's for someone with your flair for squeezing every last drop.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/toyota/avensis-2003/?review=7199
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:52:42 PM by MartinJG »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 07:56:19 AM »
Some tyres are better than others for noise. A few months ago I replaced the Michelin Primacy tyres (which were getting towards needing replacement) on my HR-V with Michelin Cross-Climates which run more quietly, particularly on concrete surfaces.
I appreciate that, but the car has three new tyres and one with very little wear, so I am stuck with the tyres I have. They do not seem to be all that noisy compared with some I have owned, it is just that the Jazz is a small empty metal box which tends to amplify any sounds. It is not even that the roads are rough. Most of it is smooth, new tarmac.
The noise never bothers me when we first set out, it is just as we near home after a long day it gets a bit wearing.
Both my wife and I are pretty well running on empty at the moment. We are both tired and worn out and the car just grates.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »
Jocko. Hate to say this but the Frogs have always made cars that are generally good on rough road comfort, if you can get them to start, that is....
The only French car I have ever owned was a Peugeot 504. It was supremely comfortable but falling to bits and rusting away. It is the only car I have ever owned with a rusty dip stick! Really.

Tags:

anything