Author Topic: Broken driver's seat adjuster  (Read 1716 times)

doughtsh

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2009
Broken driver's seat adjuster
« on: March 24, 2024, 04:55:42 PM »
Just bought a 2009 Jazz and nothing happens when I lift the bar under the seat to move the seat back. Anyone got any tips or links to videos/tutorials for sorting it? Passenger side is fine.
Thanks

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Broken driver's seat adjuster
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 07:20:10 AM »
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 09:02:40 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 08:09:56 AM »
A mirror on a stick is often a very useful tool for investigating nooks & crannies in cars.  I have found that loose change can sometimes drop down into the seat runners and jam the mechanism. The problem is then deciding how to get said coin out without turning the car upside down and shaking it.

I think the usual method of seat fixing is with a captive screw in the lower runner which is held in place with a nut underneath the floor, however I have not ventured underneath my Jazz yet so it may be that the runners are bolted from underneath to a welded nut in the seat runner.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 09:01:54 AM »
If you compare the working seat mechanism with the faulty one it may be obvious where the problem lies.

The connecting mechanism  can sometimes be quite crude  , with simple rods etc. A rod may have popped out of its hole or some such, and it may even be possible to reconnect it without removing the seat.

A quick search on google shows about 3  'how to' videos on you tube for the Jazz/Fit.

If something has broken that looks beyond your skill to repair you may decide not to bother trying to remove the seat.
On the other hand if it needs repair it might help to remove the seat, or part of the mechanism, yourself  and take it  somewhere  to be repaired.  If they can see instantly it might only take 5 minutes to fix, maybe a quick blob with a  mig welder to fix a bracket  etc,  they may do it there and then, especially if you are paying cash. And its not only garages that might have the necessary skills.

If they need to remove, investigate, fix, then replace the seats it becomes a whole new ball game in time,  labour costs and scheduling  in workshop  space.   

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 09:17:05 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: