Author Topic: Honda Car Insurance  (Read 35061 times)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Honda Car Insurance
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2023, 11:41:43 AM »
When I was hunting for renewal NFU were the most ridiculously expensive quote I had.
It just goes to show, the insurance companies make it up as they go!!

Maybe try Confused.com

This doesn't work in the UK?
Maybe the following will also work in the UK (for those with a younger wife):
Next week I turn 75. My wife  :-* is nine years younger than me. Our cars have been in her name for about 10 years, with me as co-owner. The insurance also in that way and that's where her age counts... :D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2023, 02:37:01 PM »

And are more risk per Kilometer driven.       

If we leave aside the possibility the insurers are taking the opportunity of ripping off older drivers   there is probably a good  reason why they will only offer cover at a higher premium,  or not at all.     Otherwise they would be only too happy to attract low risk drivers.   

Where is the statistical evidence to support 'the risk per kilometre' statement?

It would be very useful to know the Insurance Companies 'good reasons', as to why some offer ridiculously high premiums?  Or is it just 'witchcraft' and making it up as they go along?
The information given to each of the companies to quote against, is identical, so why the vast variation in quote figures?
Maybe the companies would like to justify their reasons, but I doubt it.

In defence of the NFU, I have been with them for a number of years, which I know could work against me, but in this instance, as the cheapest quote, I'm happy to continue with them.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2023, 02:38:10 PM »
This doesn't work in the UK?
Maybe the following will also work in the UK (for those with a younger wife):
Next week I turn 75. My wife  :-* is nine years younger than me. Our cars have been in her name for about 10 years, with me as co-owner. The insurance also in that way and that's where her age counts... :D

Drivers need to be very careful about this. It's perfectly legitimate to add an additional driver to the insurance and sometimes that can reduce the premiums (eg a young driver can add a parent who may only drive the car occasionally or never). But that additional driver must not be the main user; that's called "fronting" and is illegal. This guards against a low-risk parent insuring a car that's actually driven all the time by a high-risk youngster.
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/fronting-and-car-insurance/

It's not clear from your comment who the main driver is. If it's your wife, then all is well. But if you do most of the driving, in the UK you would be on thin ice legally and potentially guilty of fraud.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2023, 02:54:27 PM »
If you need to claim, any misrepresentation will be spotted.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2023, 03:00:27 PM »
The car is registered in my wife's name with me as co-owner. The same on the insurance policy. Who is the main driver...?
Both my wife and I drive the car regularly and we don't keep a time or mileage log which of us drives the most. So it will be quite a task to determine who the main driver is. We don't even know that ourselves. This week that could be me and maybe next week her. Or vice versa. Or not...or...

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2023, 03:18:36 PM »
I'm in the same position as many.  We share the car as a couple and only have one.    I am the registered keeper and 'main user' for insurance,  but thats mainly an old fashioned notion of being the man and chooser of cars.  .  In reality sometimes I drive it alone, sometimes my wife drives it alone, and when we are together we share driving.  We dont log individual mileages.   Its probably true to say i am the main user overall at present  but not by much  and that could easily change  if I ever need to cut down my driving.

But my wife is only one year younger than me, and has not got any no claims bonus in her own name.     
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2023, 03:27:11 PM »
The car is registered in my wife's name with me as co-owner. The same on the insurance policy. Who is the main driver...?
Both my wife and I drive the car regularly and we don't keep a time or mileage log which of us drives the most. So it will be quite a task to determine who the main driver is. We don't even know that ourselves. This week that could be me and maybe next week her. Or vice versa. Or not...or...

I wasn’t setting out to accuse anyone of anything. What you do is between you and your insurance company, I’m not interested. But you asked a question about whether adding a younger driver was done in the UK, so I was just setting out some facts and a warning. I’m also not clear whether any of that applies in Poland.

BTW, who owns the car, or in whose name it is registered, is irrelevant in the UK; it’s the identity of the driver that’s important. The RAC link gives an idea of who that should be, but if it’s  unclear then it’s up to the individual to take advice and act accordingly. I had this dilemma myself a few years ago: my wife used the main car daily to commute, but I drove it at weekends and whenever we went away on holiday. She drove it more often but I drove more miles. Never did resolve it, but luckily never had to justify it to an insurance company.

Jazzfan49

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 jazz 1.5 I-mmd SR Crystal Black
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2023, 04:14:53 PM »
£350 for 74 year old, fully comprehensive, 10years plus ncb, no accidents or convictions, £250 excess, ncb protected, with Carole Nash - even Saga were below £500, quote for 2023 Jazz SR so overall I’m happy  :P

Jazzfan49

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 jazz 1.5 I-mmd SR Crystal Black
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2023, 04:17:39 PM »
Quote searched on Compare the Market.com.  ;D

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2023, 04:21:05 PM »
A lot depends on where you live.

My broker friend put my previous Civic through his software a few years ago and my London postcode came up as £550 but my daughter's Reading postcode dropped it to £250. LV charged me £350.

That was my 2013 1.8 Civic EX auto.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2023, 05:39:53 PM »
I wasn’t setting out to accuse anyone of anything. What you do is between you and your insurance company, I’m not interested. But you asked a question about whether adding a younger driver was done in the UK, so I was just setting out some facts and a warning. I’m also not clear whether any of that applies in Poland.

I certainly didn't take your comment as an accusation. I was just trying to clarify that in our case a younger person (my 9 years younger wife) is the insured, (main driver?), with myself as co-insured (backup driver?).
We have a car together, we use it individually and often together. In daily practice there is no main driver and no backup driver.

Here's what the RAC says:

What is fronting?
Fronting is when a driver declares to a car insurance company that he or she is the main driver of a vehicle when the main user is actually someone else.

In our case there is therefore not one main driver, so no fronting. It is simply impossible to determine which of the two...

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2023, 07:48:51 PM »
£350 for 74 year old, fully comprehensive, 10years plus ncb, no accidents or convictions, £250 excess, ncb protected, with Carole Nash - even Saga were below £500, quote for 2023 Jazz SR so overall I’m happy  :P

So, my experience.

2022 Jazz EX, mileage 6000 per year, fully comp., 10 yrs ncb UNprotected, 1 accident not at fault 9 yrs. ago,
no points or convictions, £250 excess. Principal driver is my wife, who is 76 yrs old. I am her “toy boy” at 75yrs. Others on the policy, are my daughter and her husband, both in their 50s. They also have their own vehicle. All points free. Every year I go on the comparison sites, to input my details, but also find a wide spread on the quotes. What is really useful, is that my insurer, along with all the others I guess, notifies me that they want to separate me from my money, a full month ahead of time. That’s my trigger, that 5 days later, 23 days from expiration, ( the policy, not me!), I log on to get my quotes. A poster in this thread earlier,
mentioned 23 days, which I agree is the optimum. I do find that my current insurer is usually best on there.
We live North Manchester, which I suppose is a medium risk area.

Saga, NFU and Direct Line give me the highest prices, but they are good for some.

Best for me for the last 4 years have been LV.  But that won’t help you!
Perhaps they think that NOT protecting my NCB, puts me in the mindset of a careful driver! (Grasping/Straws)

Oh, almost forgot.....£226.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2023, 10:18:41 AM »

BTW, who owns the car, or in whose name it is registered, is irrelevant in the UK; it’s the identity of the driver that’s important. The RAC link gives an idea of who that should be, but if it’s  unclear then it’s up to the individual to take advice and act accordingly. I had this dilemma myself a few years ago: my wife used the main car daily to commute, but I drove it at weekends and whenever we went away on holiday. She drove it more often but I drove more miles. Never did resolve it, but luckily never had to justify it to an insurance company.

Although being registered keeper does not prove 'ownership' and  the main  driver is the one that must be insured, insurance companies do ask  who is the registered keeper  and may not routinely quote  if there is a difference without  further clarification. And it  might just prompt them into enquiring further in the event of a claim exactly what the true situation is  with drivers.  Some things are not questioned in detail until it might help them avoid paying a claim.

When I bought the Jazz we also kept our 14 year old Yaris for a while.  It had all season tyres, and quite handy for some uses,such as a trip to the rubbish dump.  As it was a new situation  I was unsure  whether it would now be his and hers cars  driver wise.( Me with the posh car and my wife using the 14 year old one  - yeah right! )   I suppose we could have had them both in my name with my wife as named driver on both   but we decided that that maybe my wife should take out her own insurance on the Yaris with me as a named driver  and build up some no claims bonus of her own.Could be useful if circumstances changed in the future.      But insurers were not happy quoting  unless she was the registered keeper of the Yaris. 
As the registered keeper  she was able to get some surprisingly  cheap quotes on the Yaris even with her zero  no  claims bonus  (but insurers bureaux knew her history of being a named driver on my policy which did lower the quotes. - we know this. Due to a typo  her date of birth was wrong by a day on the initial quote. When this was corrected,and she was now ' known', the quotes dropped . )  These were fairly basic cover with  few bells and whistles and a fairly low annual mileage.  . But fully comprehensive.  Some companies quoted the same price for third party or comprehensive.   good enough for a 14 year old car .
So we  reregistered the Yaris  in my wifes name, and she was took out her own comprehensive  policy . Maybe not the cheapest option overall but there was some saving  in having both vehicles on policies with 6k miles annual use.  When I needed to raise the Jazz to 12K miles  when the Yaris was sold  the annual  premium was  higher.   The lesson here is dont pay for more miles than you need,  but dont try and cheat by  having a low miles policy if its not true  .
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:30:56 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2023, 11:14:15 AM »
I have just bought my granddaughter an old (only 44K miles) Hyundai Amica.
Paid £1600 for it. She has passed her theory test  and has not stared her practical 'Learner' driving.
I got my son to register it in HIS name with her as secondary driver, He is registered driver and keeper.  When she passes her test he will transfer registration to her and as main driver with him as secondary driver.
Best price with a pukka insurance co was RAC @ £520. Fully comp with breakdown. He no accidents, 3 SP30 points. lives in Poole. age 51. She i8 next October, also lives Poole.
When she becomes main driver, we are expecting premium to be at least £1,600 :o
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Terryp

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz EX crosstar
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2023, 04:19:54 PM »
I have just renewed my insurance from my 12 plate mk2 jazz to the new crosstar and it went from £300 a year to £360 a year fully comp, basically everything I had on the Mk2.

That was with direct line with full No claims. I was quite chuffed after reading some of the replies. I’m 59 and the wife is 64, her being the main driver.

Tags: