Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 696942 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #480 on: November 13, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »
Trouble is oversizing the battery adds weight, which means it needs more power to move the vehicle. Bit like carrying 20 gallons of petrol but only having access to 12.
Which reminds me of my hybrid Jazz. Only once did I see the battery charge level drop below half. Honda appear to have been very protective of the lead acid hybrid battery used in that vehicle. That's good for longevity - no one here has reported needing a battery replacement - but not so good for fuel efficiency.

Toyota hybrids are the same.. only approx 40% of battery capacity is usable to conserve battery life.. When a new battery is £3k that seems an eminently sensible approach..

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #481 on: November 14, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »
If anyone doubted the challenges of making new chemistry batteries that actually get through the testing and life proving stage into actual production read this article. even a small degradation in capacity at each charge / discharge cycle can have a big impact on longevity, and hence the viability of the battery in real life. Some of the announced 'major breakthroughs' in battery technology fall down when longer testing is done.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/better-batteries-charge-forward

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:32:32 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #482 on: November 17, 2017, 07:48:22 AM »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #483 on: November 17, 2017, 08:42:37 AM »
Just watched the full release video. Okay, it's all hype, but what amazing vehicles.
The new AWD Tesla Roadster 2+2 does 0 - 60 in 1.9 seconds, 8.9 second quarter mile, top speed 250+, 620 mile range at highway speeds and has an amazing 10,000 Nm of torque. Available 2020.
The artics are out of this world, with a 500 mile range at 60 mph, hauling 80,000 lbs. They use Megachargers, which will give a 400 mile charge in 30 minutes. 1,000,000 mile drivetrain warranty. Available 2019.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #484 on: November 17, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »
I forgot to mention. The Artic tractor unit will do 0 - 60 in 5 seconds and hauling 80,000 lbs (max load allowed to be hauled in US) will do 0 - 60 in 20 seconds. And no gears to change. It has a Cd of 0.36.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:54:14 AM by Jocko »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #485 on: November 17, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »
The new roadster.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #486 on: November 17, 2017, 03:57:24 PM »
Tesla finally announce its electric truck AND a new sports car.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/17/elon-musk-tesla-electric-truck-sports-car-surprise

Musk will go down as one of histories great showmen, how many more rabbits are in his oversized hat.
Reckon he is just trying to keep the spotlight on his company to try to distract from the progress that
Detroit and other 'archaic' vehicle builders are making,  real progress and guess what,  they actually have
the skills to volume build their vehicles,  watch and learn big boy !!
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #487 on: November 17, 2017, 05:10:22 PM »
Musk will go down as one of histories great showmen, how many more rabbits are in his oversized hat.

You know, what we need is a Monorail

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:12:47 PM by richardfrost »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #488 on: November 17, 2017, 05:15:53 PM »
Musk deserves a lot of credit for pushing the boundaries, IMHO. Many of his concepts may seem wacky, but some of his plans labelled as loopy years ago are now reality.

It just goes to show how far you can actually get from a standing start, when you have conviction and a big pile of cash.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #489 on: November 17, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
Musk deserves a lot of credit for pushing the boundaries, IMHO. Many of his concepts may seem wacky, but some of his plans labelled as loopy years ago are now reality.

It just goes to show how far you can actually get from a standing start, when you have conviction and a big pile of cash.

A big pile of other people's cash, they may even get a little bit of it back if they are very lucky and sell their shares before the house of cards falls down...........

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #490 on: November 17, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »

You know, what we need is a Monorail

Yeah, love the Simpsons, and that episode was typical of the hype that goes on..........

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #491 on: November 17, 2017, 06:05:38 PM »
A big pile of other people's cash, they may even get a little bit of it back if they are very lucky and sell their shares before the house of cards falls down...........
Most of Tesla's big investors are smart money men, who make shewed investments and walk away with a profit. Many are big managed funds. Those guys don't risk their money.
Fidelity® Contrafund® is a huge investor in Tesla. They manage a $107 billion fund. No mugs there.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #492 on: November 17, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »
I remember when the BBC today programme had five year olds picking shares and 'smart money men' doing the same,  I guess you know what is coming? The kids did better- could have probably done the same with monkies and the money men.  It is a guessing game, and when a bandwagon appears the smart money men fall over themselves to get on it, scared of missing something - but sometimes it is the 'emperors new clothes' and no one will step out of line.  The smart money men should have seen 2007/8 crash coming, but guess what - they were part of it and their gullibility and greed caused it......

Tesla has managed to squeeze a lot of federal and state money as well, but its not their money, and if they lose it they just put taxes up......

Warren Buffet, America's most consistent and successful investor will not buy Tesla shares,  guess what he invested $10Billion in General Motors,  now that is smart.

here is what Buffet said ...

Companies with big capital needs, but low profit potential - don't touch them

He said in his letter to shareholders, "The worst sort of business is one that grows rapidly, requires significant capital to engender the growth, and then earns little or no money."

You could be forgiven for thinking he was talking about Tesla specifically
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:59:47 PM by culzean »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #493 on: November 17, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »
It's interesting - the whole Tesla thing. I think Culzean has a point. If you want an affordable new EV most people will think "Nissan Leaf" - if you want a used EV, there is a critical mass of used Leafs for sale. If you now want an affordable EV that will do 150 miles plus - well Nissan are there again with the second generation Leaf at vaguely affordable prices. In the meantime there are people who stumped up a £1,000 reservation fee for the Tesla Model 3 nearly 2 years ago now - they are still waiting.

So at least one traditional car maker is in pole position in the EV market.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #494 on: November 17, 2017, 07:55:39 PM »
It's interesting - the whole Tesla thing. I think Culzean has a point. If you want an affordable new EV most people will think "Nissan Leaf" - if you want a used EV, there is a critical mass of used Leafs for sale. If you now want an affordable EV that will do 150 miles plus - well Nissan are there again with the second generation Leaf at vaguely affordable prices. In the meantime there are people who stumped up a £1,000 reservation fee for the Tesla Model 3 nearly 2 years ago now - they are still waiting.

So at least one traditional car maker is in pole position in the EV market.

Exactly,  I have significant experience of car industry and it is a high volume low margin business, Tesla will be overtaken soon by traditional car makers who have the resources, infrastructure and skills to make large volumes of cars,  while Tesla will be more like Aston-Martin - producing high margin cars but not many of them - Tesla at present has about $4billion of capital and over $7 billion of debt.  All of the other 'silicon valley' wannabee car makers dropped out of trying to make cars and decided to concentrate on the technology,  only Musk / Tesla left and his position gets more tenuous by the day.

Tags: