Author Topic: Can you listen to car radio in a keyless entry car with engine off?  (Read 5792 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Having sold my old car and awaiting pick up of a new one, can anybody tell me if it is possible to listen to the car radio or use any other electrics in a keyless entry car without turning the engine on?

Serious question guys. No apparent equivalent of the position 2 on a normal ignition.

poul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 1,3 Elegance Cvt Navi
Re: Can you listen to car radio in a keyless entry car with engine off?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 12:44:07 PM »
yes it is.

Just push the starter button without pushing the brake pedal. That turns on the infotainment on my 2017 jazz. Push it twice and you can control Windows and more, and NeXT time you push it it turns everything off.

It will not start until you push the brake pedal and start button at the same time.

guest8810

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 02:56:16 PM »
Having sold my old car and awaiting pick up of a new one, can anybody tell me if it is possible to listen to the car radio or use any other electrics in a keyless entry car without turning the engine on?

Serious question guys. No apparent equivalent of the position 2 on a normal ignition.

I do believe that simply pressing the button on top right hand side of Infotainment screen will be sufficient.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 03:21:52 PM »
Thanks guys.

Not convinced by keyless entry. I can't see a single advantage over a key but that's the way we are going. This article sets out the disadvantages.

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/271/what-is-keyless-entry

guest8810

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 03:41:43 PM »
Thanks guys.

Not convinced by keyless entry. I can't see a single advantage over a key but that's the way we are going.

[/quote
I wholeheartedly agree, as a proud owner of an otherwise superb little on the outside and a Tardis on the inside car namely a Jazz.
Its failing is the Keyless entry, or the lack of a simple switch to disable it at night or when the vehicle is not required ,such a simple solution to a very annoying situation perhaps the Honda designers might invent a solution to this irritating situation not only for new models but for the existing owners lumbered with there lack of foresight

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »
Not convinced by keyless entry. I can't see a single advantage over a key but that's the way we are going. This article sets out the disadvantages.

The things people will sacrifice for perceived ' convenience ' never cease to amaze me.   
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:29:12 PM »
I agree Culzean. Although, at times, it's not even convenience but simply technology for the sake of it. As I did a googling and Youtube session on keyless entry it soon became evident that people were genuinely discombobulated by this "improvement" - loads of instructional videos - some by Honda Dealers all over the globe and loads of queries.

There was nothing wrong with remote central locking with a back up key - no Youtube videos required or indeed no questions on Google.

If it ain't broke do your best to unfix it seems to be the mantra now.

And this is sold as a desirable extra!!

guest4871

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 05:49:17 PM »
You can now do keyless entry with a smartphone app. That's presumably if your phone battery isn't flat  :D

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 09:00:04 PM »
I've finally worked out the benefits of this system.

1) You no longer have to do the onerous task of pressing the unlock button on your key fob.

2) You no longer have to do the positively herculean task of reaching forward past the steering wheel and expending all that effort on pushing the key into the lock and then twisting it to turn the engine on.

Alexa - start the car!

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
To go back to your original question, there is another wrinkle and that is going the opposite way - from engine running to engine off but audio system still on. Suppose you reach your destination but you need to wait for a while to pick someone up. A railway station or something like that. And further suppose you listen to Radio 4 and you don't want to miss any content. You could just hit start/stop and then press it again with your foot off the brake but your program will be interrupted. You have to put the car in neutral and then press start/stop. Now the engine will stop but acc stays powered. Then you can put the car in park. When it is time to go the stupid system decides to completely power down before starting the engine and powering the audio/navigation system up again so there is a long break. Even longer if you have to use bluetooth to get your input.

By the By being a Japanese model mine actually has TV that I can watch while I wait. It becomes sound only when you move off as apparently the locals can't be trusted to keep their eyes off it otherwise such is the appeal. You can buy a cheap plug in adapter that will disable this and I quite often see people watching TV while they are moving. I am not the slightest bit interested in TV in Japan, or even in the UK very much so I'm not in the market. The antenna appears to be lots of fine wires embedded in intricate patterns in various windows in the car. The reception actually seems to be very reliable which is quite an achievement I suppose.

guest8810

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 02:45:29 PM »
To go back to your original question, there is another wrinkle and that is going the opposite way - from engine running to engine off but audio system still on. Suppose you reach your destination but you need to wait for a while to pick someone up. A railway station or something like that. And further suppose you listen to Radio 4 and you don't want to miss any content. You could just hit start/stop and then press it again with your foot off the brake but your program will be interrupted. You have to put the car in neutral and then press start/stop. Now the engine will stop but acc stays powered. Then you can put the car in park. When it is time to go the stupid system decides to completely power down before starting the engine and powering the audio/navigation system up again so there is a long break. Even longer if you have to use bluetooth to get your input.

By the By being a Japanese model mine actually has TV that I can watch while I wait. It becomes sound only when you move off as apparently the locals can't be trusted to keep their eyes off it otherwise such is the appeal. You can buy a cheap plug in adapter that will disable this and I quite often see people watching TV while they are moving. I am not the slightest bit interested in TV in Japan, or even in the UK very much so I'm not in the market. The antenna appears to be lots of fine wires embedded in intricate patterns in various windows in the car. The reception actually seems to be very reliable which is quite an achievement I suppose.

The answer as I have posted earlier is that simply pressing the button on top right hand side of Infotainment screen will be sufficient. with Car stationary and engine turned off this simple expedient will start the Infotainment thing, and you can then listen to your radio with impunity.etc etc etc

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »

The answer as I have posted earlier is that simply pressing the button on top right hand side of Infotainment screen will be sufficient. with Car stationary and engine turned off this simple expedient will start the Infotainment thing, and you can then listen to your radio with impunity.etc etc etc

Yes, but what about if the engine is running and you want to turn the engine off without turning off the audio system? To do that you have to do as I said - unless you know better.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 06:13:46 PM »
If I had known that you couldn't turn the engine off and leave the radio on, I would never have bought a Honda.

My life is in ruins  :o :o :o

guest8810

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 06:57:21 PM »
If I had known that you couldn't turn the engine off and leave the radio on, I would never have bought a Honda.

My life is in ruins  :o :o :o
Dreadful quandary to be in shall I shan't I turn it off oh dear what shall I do

guest8810

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 07:00:56 PM »

Yes, but what about if the engine is running and you want to turn the engine off without turning off the audio system? To do that you have to do as I said - unless you know better.
It is a terrible situation I agree but you will I fear have to bite the bullet,
go on turn it off

Tags:

anything