Author Topic: In search of a softer tyres  (Read 1774 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: In search of a softer tyres
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 09:41:34 AM »
No problem fitting 15" rims instead of 16" on MK2 Jazz, there is massive clearance around brakes - expect it would be same brake size on later models ( it is not a high powered spots car with massive brakes ).  Main things are the offset ( ET ) from centre of rim to mounting face and rolling radius / circumference  - both 15 and 16 " tyres are listed in handbook and door pillar as being homologated for car.  Both 185/55R16 and 175/65R15 have same circumference, it is important that speedometer accuracy is maintained but the speedometer is deliberately designed to read about 10% more than actual speed anyway - by law it has to read 'fast'...

Although all season ( and winter tyres ) are softer than dedicated summer tyres they do wear remarkably well and are no longer anywhere near as noisy as they used to be. The stopping distance on dry roads at higher temperatures can be compromised by all season tyres though.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 10:18:53 AM »
15' and 16' are standard for european Mk2, Mk3 and Mk4, so technically the same model can have both size (maybe the tacho parameter has to be changed).
According to  https://www.wheel-size.com/, JDM Honda MK3 Fit can have also 14' rims and 175/70R14', but they have a different brake system: I don't know the front rotor size (sometimes JDM cars have smaller brake systems, since they minor needs) and as USDM Fit the rear axle have brake drums (not discs).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »
My Mk1 has 14" wheels with 175/65T14 tyres.

Tags: