Author Topic: CVT  (Read 3535 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
CVT
« on: December 05, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
Been using mother-in-law's 2016 cvt Jazz for a week or so while she goes on holiday, 3k miles on clock. My thoughts,i'm 6 foot and could do with a few more inches back, seats must be a bit fatter than my 2010 i-shift, as another inch would do in that. I really don't like the gearbox, just too much 'delay and slight slip' for me, and on the paddles makes no difference. Engine also seems a few seconds behind the drive.

I would not have a CVT.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
Re: CVT
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:22:49 PM »
I would not have a CVT.
I'm now driving my third, CVT.

I would not have a manual.
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 12:13:14 AM »
Initially select sport mode.it is .much crisper.
Drive is a chilled out mode.
But the sport mode plus paddles and fat tyres mean it goes like stink.
Remember to rev to max.Try not to drop below 3,500rpm

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 09:42:23 AM »
Here we go again, as has been said many times on this forum, whether you drive a Manual, I-shift or CVT, all comes down to personal choice. I had my first auto car back in 2003, a Landrover Freelander and I've not driven a Manual car since.

My first Jazz was an I-shift and it was b----y awful. 'Coffecup' talks about a delay in the CVT, what delay? there is no delay, you just put your foot down and 'Go'
I recall many times when half way across a junction, the I-shift would 'think' about changing from 1st to 2nd whilst possibly a HGV was rumbling towards you, not my idea of fun at all
!
I'm now on the second CVT Jazz since then and I believe its the best thing since sliced bread. There is no delay and if your were match a CVT (in sport mode) to an I-shift or even a Manual from a standing start up to say 30 or 40mph the CVT would win hands down, despite what some motoring journalists seem to think, not that I'm a boy racer you understand ;D

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
Let me make this clear, the i-shift is terrible in auto, but great in manuel on paddles, far better than the CVT in sport mode with paddles, it's terrible and does not have the instant bite that the i-shift clutch has. For me, i NEVER use auto on either. they are both poor. As for rev range, i know all about how to drive

Ah you say, why not get a manuel box then !!! because i don't want a clutch peddle.

However, my mother-in-law (87) loves it !!!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 10:51:27 AM »
My first experience of a CVT box on a Jazz was my pal's Mk2. I remember thinking how noisy the car was, especially up gradients and I decided I wouldn't buy one. A few muscular/skeletal issues later - all on my left side (shoulder, ankle and knee) made me change my tune. I've got used to the CVT and can't help thinking my pal was a bit heavy footed. I certainly don't regret going down the CVT route and given the amount of heavy traffic I drive in, it's a boon.

I'll use the paddles from time to time and I occasionally drop into S mode if I need a bit of extra acceleration.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:07:10 AM »
Thank goodness you prefer your Jazz, otherwise we would all be driving 1957 Beetles.
I'll be keeping my Subaru Turbo & 2015 CVT Jazz, happy motoring to all in 2019

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 11:36:21 AM »
Happy motoring to all in 2019 - as above..

I still occasionally drive my wife's manual Yaris.. but I switched to auto when I reached 65 as I noted that too many times in traffic I failed to depress the clutch fully and crunch of gears...  Old age and senility..

I am now 6 years older, even more senile and enjoy driving my CVT Jazz.. the ease of driving in stop/start traffic is very calming... And by engaging S and accelerating hard, I can outdrag a few manual cars on the occasions when I think I am 18 years old again. I am not of course - I am 56 years old.

Did I mention senility? :P

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 12:21:59 PM »
CVT is a bit like marmite .... I have driven both conventional auto and CVT ( mainly because manual boxes were a rarity in the countries we lived in ) on return to UK both my wife and myself had no problem going back to manual boxes.  If i had physical problems I would have no problem with a CVT.  I prefer simple cars, the simpler the better for me, I hate all the gimmicks on the latest cars, auto lights, auto wipers, auto dip, speed sign recognition, stop-start, auto brake etc etc just leave me cold, and IMHO reduce driver attention to the road ahead.

Strange thing is ( but not strange to some ) is that despite the figures about CVT being marginally better on mpg than manual ) the record breaking Jazz ( lands end to John o groats on one tank of fuel ) was a manual car.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 12:23:59 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 02:56:16 PM »
So what does that tell you ? seems to me that, man can make better judgement when to change gear than maschine, that is what i like about the i-shift paddles, change when i feel it's right.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 03:23:46 PM »
So what does that tell you ? seems to me that, man can make better judgement when to change gear than maschine, that is what i like about the i-shift paddles, change when i feel it's right.

+1

Man 1      machine 0
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 09:58:05 AM »
I totally accept the argument re Man v Machine, quite obviously Man has a better comprehension of the road conditions at any given time.
However, the I-shift gearbox takes a finite time to change gear, regardless of whether the change is triggered by the paddles or the on-board computer.
In my view this is considerably longer, than an average driver would take to change gear on a manual box.
It was this delay that I could not live with, for the reasons mentioned earlier, hence my change to CVT, where there is no such delay.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:24:24 AM by Kenneve »

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 03:23:28 PM »
Absolute tosh, there is NO delay with the i-shift, and loads of delay with the CVT, i-shift changes instantly on the paddles, with instant clutch bite. Both are crap in AUTO, unless your eating an ice cream.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 04:53:31 PM »
I think you an I were driving different vehicles.
The I-shift gearchange is an electro-mechanical system, where dog clutches are moved to select the gears, exactly the same as the manual box, this movement takes time
I'm afraid we must agree to differ!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:28:07 PM by Kenneve »

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 11:28:04 AM »
Yes, about the same time it takes to depress clutch peddle and release, about 1 second !!

Tags:

anything