Author Topic: Another "what tyres" question  (Read 3125 times)

Robbie MkII

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.5 i-VTEC SportNavi 2018
Another "what tyres" question
« on: September 19, 2019, 04:29:28 PM »
2018 Jazz Sport, ready after only 12k miles in a just over year for new front tyres as the Dunlop's seem to wear quickly.
It's the local roads that play a big part as spring sales round here suggest, but I'm wondering what to buy.

I've read threads here, "all season" in 185/55 R16 looks like being a "no" because I can't find any that are a reasonable make.
So do I stick mid-range like Firestone Roadhawks (which I seem to be heading towards) or will a premium like the Michelin Primacy3 at an extra £30 a corner realistically make any difference?
In the non-Jazz past I've had success with Goodyear Efficientgrip but they're only £10 each less than Continental or Michelin plus will they be as good on the Jazz, and Avon's I have never found to be any good (just my experience).

I really don't want to go the unknown brand route and it's not especially about saving money, it's more practicality as well as safety that are my main concerns.
So advice is welcome, especially from fellow Jazz Sport owners since the ride is a little different to a standard Jazz.
I've an 800-mile round trip soon and would like to get these fitted first since I'm nearly at the wear indicator already.  :o

thehazzard

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GK EX 2017 Sunset Orange
Re: Another "what tyres" question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 04:38:47 PM »
I don't have a sport, but I noticed my Dunlops that came with the car when I bought it in March are prone to wearing quite quickly, so i'll be soon to change all four of mine.

I had Toyos CF2s fitted to my Suzuki Ignis Sport, (completely different car) but I was thoroughly impressed with the performance of them so will probably look to stick those on. I think they are around £60+ each fitted.

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 04:41:34 PM »
I had to make the same choice about two months ago and, after a lot of research, decided to go with Continental Premium Contact 2. I have been very happy with these as they feel very similar to the Dunlops originally fitted. They did seem a little noisier at first but have now quietened down. I paid £204 fully fitted for the pair from Halfords Autocentres

Hope this helps

thehazzard

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 04:48:55 PM »
I had to make the same choice about two months ago and, after a lot of research, decided to go with Continental Premium Contact 2. I have been very happy with these as they feel very similar to the Dunlops originally fitted. They did seem a little noisier at first but have now quietened down. I paid £204 fully fitted for the pair from Halfords Autocentres

Hope this helps

£204 all in is a pretty damn good deal. Wait, just read thats for the pair :S
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 04:50:35 PM by thehazzard »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 06:55:54 PM »
I don't have a sport, but I noticed my Dunlops that came with the car when I bought it in March are prone to wearing quite quickly, so i'll be soon to change all four of mine.

I had Toyos CF2s fitted to my Suzuki Ignis Sport, (completely different car) but I was thoroughly impressed with the performance of them so will probably look to stick those on. I think they are around £60+ each fitted.

Me too.   Vic.

Robbie MkII

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 01:28:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.

JazzandJag, I've looked at the Continentals too but I can get Michelin Primacy 3's for the same ball-park price.
I'm just debating really whether the extra £25+ per tyre will give better life or/and better grip than the Firestones?
FYI I can get a pair if Firestones for a whisker above £150 locally.

I'd noted the Toyo Proxes CF2's too, just over £130/pair and researched a bit before deciding that for the extra I'd rather try the Firestones.

Decisions decisions.
Dagnammit, if only the Goodyears that I've liked before weren't the same sort of price as Continentals & Michelins it would have been an easier decision!
 :-\

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 01:39:47 PM »
With great respect, tyres worn out in 12k miles, sounds like a heavy right foot to me.😤😤

thehazzard

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 02:00:43 PM »
With great respect, tyres worn out in 12k miles, sounds like a heavy right foot to me.😤😤

In a Jazz?  ::)

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 02:19:47 PM »

In a Jazz?  ::)

It is a Sport model ;)

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 04:04:50 PM »
My fronts lasted 12000 miles also. I do make use of the sport performance though!

Robbie MkII

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 06:24:38 PM »
As I'm not the only one I suggest that it's crappy tires that are at least partly to blame.
You don't buy a Sport to pootle around and eke out your mpg you know but I'm certainly no Schumacher. ;)

Any comments on whether the price difference between Firestones/similar and Continentals/Michelins is worth it in an area with acknowledged poor roads that's renowned for breaking springs?

Robbie MkII

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 02:12:28 PM »
Update:
the new Firestones have been on the fronts for a week or so now.
On first impressions they're good, quiet and lots of grip in the wet; at least equal to the original Dunlops and probably a shade more quiet.

The tracking needed done too, I did say about our poor potholed roads & the o/s front in particular was wearing excessively on the inside as a result.

Mr 8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Sport Navi
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 08:57:33 AM »
I thought the Dunlops fitted to my Sport performed very well but 13K miles is disappointing. I have decided to shell out for Michelin Premacy 3s. I know they will last longer, will they perform as well? Time will tell.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 09:36:28 AM »
Tyres can vary enormously in their wear rates, depending on how well you keep them inflated, your driving style, position on the car, and the tyres themselves. I have one budget make tyre, which was on the rear of the car when I bought it, and after 30,000+ miles it still has as much tread as it had the first time I checked it!
I was going to replace it before the winter, so I have Yokohama Bluearth tyres all round, but it seems to grip well enough and it may just be a waste of money.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 10:05:47 AM »
the dunlops are garbage and wear really quickly i had them on my yaris, i have always had mitchelin energy savers on my jazzes and they last over 30k miles on the front without rotation with 3mm left when i change them

best tyre is def the mitchelins
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:08:10 AM by monkeydave »

Tags: