Author Topic: slightly noisy after 1st oil change  (Read 4492 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: slightly noisy after 1st oil change
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »
The oil gets pretty badly oxidized inside the engine,  and it is in there for 12 months on most cars - tip unused oil into smaller container and there is less volume of air, and therefore less oxygen in the container to oxidize the oil - simples.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »
so to get back on track, has anyone else had this tick after oil change

ok when first started, about 1/2 mile later light valve type tick and then fades away after a few mins

dont know weather to call the dealer as it is 50 miles away and it will need an overnight stay to be confirmed and even if they hear it what they going to do strip the engine? i dont think they will go that far as its just got over 5000 miles on it and is a year old (i have owned it for 6 months and it had 16 miles on it when i got it)

i just hope they didnt start it with no oil by mistake or that stop start thinking they turned it off, but if that was the case it would make the noise all the time and not heat related as it is now

i also had the gearbox mount replaced and the 5th gear is more notchy now but that couldn't have anything to do with it i suppose

i must make a video for you all to have a listen
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 03:09:45 PM by monkeydave »

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »
here is the video

just driven one mile from overnight cold as it doesn't make the noise from start and it goes away slightly after this video

just had first dealer service at just under 5000 miles 0/20 mobile one fully synth used and oil is at the max mark with no consumption   

the noise to listen for is just after i let off the revs (like a clatter noise)

what do you guys think, normal or not or just getting colder weather?

thanks
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 07:23:22 PM by monkeydave »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »
Sounds exactly like mine in cold weather. Goes off quite quickly.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 11:01:46 AM »
IMHO any slight noise that is only there when cold and goes away as engine warms up is nothing to lose any sleep over.... engines are designed with clearances to be correct when engine is warm..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 12:33:13 PM »
thank you all  :D

it was probably just a coincidence that i had the service and then a week later noticed the noise

and the engine is 5000 miles so prob loosening up from manufacture which could be a factor too after oil change

and when it is warm it sounds just like my mk2 jazz did

thanks for all your replys, im glad the video sounds normal to you guys
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 12:34:52 PM by monkeydave »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 12:21:11 AM »
Looks like a valve with a slighty high clearance, the same noise of my cold engine but with more clicks. No problem for me considering that I can hear it only for some minutes after a cold start. The L13B does not have hydraulic tappets, so this noise can be intended as standard during warmup.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 01:02:36 AM »
Looks like a valve with a slighty high clearance, the same noise of my cold engine but with more clicks. No problem for me considering that I can hear it only for some minutes after a cold start. The L13B does not have hydraulic tappets, so this noise can be intended as standard during warmup.

thank you so much for your reply, i think your right, it does go quiet after 5 mins or so so just one cylinder (nearest the cam chain) has a slightly looser exhaust valve

i was worried it would damage the lobe on the crank shaft if left

it must have been the cold weather and the oil change at the service that brought the noise on

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »
No, I'm not worried about damages to the lobe, first because the lobe push a roller and not directly the tappet, second because the noise ends when the engine warms, third because the first thing to be damaged is the valve seat.
In user manual of our cars sold in USA, (1.5 16v), you can read "Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if
they are noisy."

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »
My tappets start off quiet, get a little rattle after about a mile, then quieten down completely. Remember, it is not just the valve stems that expand as the engine starts to warm. So does the alloy cylinder head and everything else.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »
For some reason I don't know, the raised idle speed reduces the tappet noise: that's why when you start the engine seems to hear less clickings... Then, during warm up, the idle speed decreases and you start hearing the noise until the engine  reaches the correct temperature.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »
thanks for your input guys

the reason i first posted about this noise is because i dont remember hearing the tap noise before i had the first service done and as i had it done on the monday i didnt notice this noise until i went to work the following monday which is a short drive and also the weather went colder too. the car has 5500 miles on it now so may be loosening up a bit after i ran it in for 2000 miles.

anyway if you guys think it is within operating limits with the rollers on the lobes i feel better about it.

i did another video today concentrating on the back of the engine and the tap is clear, incase this video helps anyone else with this noise before warm up (notice the tap was frequent at the start and then less so at the end of the video) and also just filter out the normal jazz noise the tap noise is just at the rear of the engine, also the video was taken after 1 mile of driving from overnight cold.

thanks again guys

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 07:23:51 PM by monkeydave »

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
has anyone here had to go to the dealer for valve work which has to be done when cold and as i drive 50 miles to my dealer it will be red hot when i get there

if so how long did the adjustment take and did you get a loaner car

thanks

im sure now it is the exhaust valves on number 1 cylinder slightly more gappy than they should (the other 3 cylinders are normal sounding) and after driving my short distance to work today hearing the tap noise when revving with the door open i want to get it sorted, it took 15 mins today at 10c to get to a normal noise but if i drove longer or the weather was warmer i would never notice the noise inside the car with the window up as it isnt loud from first start up but the camera has caught fast tap noise from cold startup from that exhaust valve that i will post a video of soon

thanks

my car is 68 plate with just under 6000 miles so still under warranty and had its first service in sept

Tags:

anything