Author Topic: Honda Marketing  (Read 9354 times)

guest3381

Honda Marketing
« on: December 05, 2013, 08:20:22 PM »
I just hope that Honda get the marketing of the new Jazz right this time.  I am amazed that for such a Tardis of a car, with reasonable engines (if revved) and reasonable looks (particularly front end) the Mark 2 has been taken over by the aged, particularly women :(.  I really like the car but I don't particularly like being seen driving it due to its image in the UK.  Why on earth didn't Honda target young families as it perfect for a family of 5 - spacious, reliable and economical.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Honda Marketing
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:05:53 PM »
They tried. The advert for the facelift in 2011 was selling the Jazz on it's interior flexibility.

The original brochure in 2002 showed the Jazz with young twenty somethings and their active lifestyle. Didn't work.(although I bought one).

If it's any conciliation, the Renault Modus also became associated with older drivers despite Renault arguably having a strong image with younger drivers (in the days before they wanted MINIs and VW Polos at least). Same with the Ford Fusion.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 07:40:31 AM »
To me the name doesn't help "Jazz" . . . . CRV, NSX, etc are non-descriptive, so why go for a niche of music that you may dislike . . . next model Honda Funk, Renault Reggae, Peugeot Pop??

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
Pigeon-holed largely by motoring journalists! And marketers/advertisers know that once an 'image' is in peoples' minds, it is very hard to shake. It can take years...

Motoring journos! So often I've seen reviews of the Jazz yet no real mention of its amazing accommodation for 4 (6-foot!) adults over any distance, if necessary... and luggage. While I've seen some say that Ford's Fiesta is comfortable for 4 adults. You try actually sitting in the back of a Fiesta for just a few miles! Claustrophobic, tight on head and leg-room even for average-size teenagers... Everything the Jazz is not.

Most journos say Jazz is 'expensive'. They almost always overlook the 1.2 models when they make that price judgement. While they always overlook how much versatility and interior space you get for the money.

IMO, also, 'Jazz' is part of the problem. 'Fit' as in the USA and some other overseas markets is a much better name (fit everything in) and/or is lithe and sexy. For Europe/Scandinavia 'Fitta' is a word best avoided so they didn't brand it as such. But for UK??

If you visit 'Forums' in the USA and Asia it's soon obvious that our little Honda spans the age groups and has a highly enthusiastic/sporty following - much more so than UK... and Australia and NZ, but to a lesser extent. On the road I play 'spot the grey-heads'...

Some in the UK say more power would help though I wonder if a 6-speed box might be the better option. Either option adds cost one way or the other. The existing is the absolutely sweetest of manual gearchanges bar none.

I think Honda somehow miss a MAJOR marketing 'trick' with this car. They deserve to sell a great deal more in the UK.

I carried a tumble dryer recently... jeez, you can fit two tumble dryers (laterally/cross-ways) in the back!

Then a few days later a 750-mile return largely motorway trip... 75mph/50mpg. 

Perhaps now Jazz can only ever be the 'thinking person's car' reserved for those who think beyond image.

Though unfortunately it's a marketer's/advertiser's axiom that people almost invariably 'buy on emotion and justify with logic'. 

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »
It's expensive.
It's Japanese - UK muttering journos dislike Japanese cars as a principle.

It's practical - most UK muttering journalists are 25-30 years old physically, 10 years old mentally and have an IQ of 95.  (Being kind). They don't do "practical".

Its looks are at best nondescript.
Its handling is mediocre. Safe but uninspiring.
It's reliable - so unappealing like a Peugeot or a Renault where the electronics have a mind of their own and there are lots of interesting journeys to garage to sort the problem out - several times.

Honda marketing would make Ford Edsel seem like a good idea as an alternative to a Honda.
Honda interiors are - how shall I put it ? - supremely uninteresting. Functional yes. But interesting? no.

It's noisy on poor surfaces.. Not nice at all. Lots of tyre noise at speed.

And finally - it's expensive for what it is..  oh that's where I started.

For someone who keeps their car  a long time -- it's great. Oh that's OAPs. Hang on, I am an OAP...

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 03:05:35 PM by madasafish »

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 10:08:03 AM »
It's expensive... it's expensive for what it is..  oh that's where I started.

Is it really expensive?

Depends on its intended use, I suppose. I think I'd have to pay several thousand more of the hard-earned to be able to get that much passenger or cargo carrying capacity. Which I don't need MOST of the time... but when I do...

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I believe that Jazz is the only 'family' car many families need. It's great for round town running and adequate for long trips. It should be a car that uniquely 'Fits' these austere times. In terms of interior space it surely punches above its supermini class. Coupled with great engineering design, world-leading reliability, great resale, low depreciation...

And the GE (2009-) is surely not a bad looker IMO - I reckon its looks will age much better than the Fiesta's looks which wow so many motoring journalists. But that's simply to my eye. Let alone staid looking VWs... I've even read journos speak of Polo's looks as a jewel of design. Even the VW Up! journos say is attractive to look at! (Really?!)

But I've been a bit of a car enthusiast and I fall for underdogs.

Anyone else with an opinion? It's all arguable, eh...

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
I am on my third CVT Jazz and it suits me very well. It mostly carries two people,occasionally three and rarely four. There is adequate space for them and their bits and pieces.
I find it comfortable for long trips,although my wife says the back seats are not as good.
It has adequate performance,especially if you make use of the Sport function on the gearbox for overtaking and the fuel consumption is good.
The Jazz is the car that I need but not necessarily the car that I would like,I can't afford one of those.
I don't think Honda make enough of the Jazz versatility,I know two people who have bought a Jazz after being shown the space available in the back for goods using the adaptability of the rear seats.

Vic.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 07:37:55 PM by VicW »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »
Honda cars have always been more respected in other countries than they are in UK - people are really badge snobs in UK, as well as being 'latest registration plate' snobs (the government is well aware of this and issues new 'year' suffixes every 6 months) they used to change it once a year but this was causing such a massive spike in car sales every 12 months,  with low sales in-between that the motor manufacturers complained, now it only causes a spike in the sales every 6 months.

German makers are running on past glories with their cars,  their reliability is below Japanese and Korean brands.

Honda has traditionally been the car purchased by people who want engineering excellence which translates into rock solid reliability and pretty good performance, while interiors have often been dull, and the badge has been seen as not fashionable.  Honda spend the money on things that matter in a car, engine, drive-train and excellent electrical systems.  Without these things a car is just an expensive trolley that you may as well push around.  I have a friend who bought a Nissan Qashqai because he could get cruise control and didn't buy a Civic because cruise control only comes in top model, he has come to bitterly regret that decision because the Nissan is so badly built that it is coming apart after just 3 years and has so many rattles and other problems - Nissan used to have rock solid build - until they teamed up with the French - and now they are as bad as any French car,  but you do get the normal French fripparies like auto lights, fog-lights as standard (for use all the time, whether foggy or not) auto wipers, cruise control, keyless entry etc. Which do nothing for reliability or longevity.

most people thought the Jazz was a tiny car until I showed them the magic seats and the useable interior space and their opinion changed instantly - some even went out and bought one.  The Honda 'man maximum - machine minimum'  design brief was never as pronounced as it is in the Jazz, especially when you consider the number of larger (exterior  size) cars that have far less available space inside, and the rear seats are only suitable for small children.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:33:06 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
The Jazz certainly has lots of space and is better than competitors. I have never seen# any Honda marketing which capitalises on it with simple pictures:

eg you can get xxxx liters of parcels in a Focus  but xxxx+50% in a Jazz.

#if there is any it is instantly forgettable and I HAVE FORGOTTEN IT :-\

guest2878

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
Honda needs to drastically improve the interior plastics quality it is easily scratched, shame, nice car, high price, cheap plastics  :'(

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 08:42:18 PM »
Honda needs to drastically improve the interior plastics quality it is easily scratched, shame, nice car, high price, cheap plastics  :'(

its not that high a price when you compare it to the note and yaris which both cost more and you get less power

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 01:35:01 PM »

its not that high a price when you compare it to the note and yaris which both cost more and you get less power

And Yaris plastics are not cheap and nasty?
ROFL..

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
Hondas have the second-highest repeat buy following after Mercedes Benz in SA.  As a brand they are considered better quality products than all other Japanese cars
If music be the food of love, play on

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 12:40:30 PM »
Honda have much better following and respect in rest of the world than they have in Europe - many British still see them as Japanese despite the fact they make many models in the UK and have been more loyal than either Ford or Vauxhall to this country.  In spite of this strangely both Ford and Vauxhall are still seen as somehow 'British' brands - don't know how that works when Ford no longer make any vehicles in UK and Vauxhall only the Astra (at Ellesmere port) and a few Vans in collaboration with IBC at Luton as far as I am aware.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:43:27 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 12:57:02 PM »
It's a shame Honda did not keep their interest in Rover. They breathed some life and engineering quality into it.

Remember the Triumph Acclaim which was a Honda under the skin? And the great (for its time) 2.7 V6 engine from the Honda Legend they dropped into the top model of the Rover 8-series? For a time Rover and Honda were collaborating very well indeed.

Rover might still have been around... designed and built in the UK, too.

Tags:

anything