Author Topic: Potholes  (Read 3224 times)

guest5079

Re: Potholes
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 09:09:51 AM »
Devon County Council is forever beating the drum that it has a lot of roads. Fine BUT the A388 here was resurfaced around 10 yrs ago and is now almost covered in Graffiti, that is markings where the road is to be repaired. This will undoubtedly mean the road will be closed with the resultant 25 mile detour.  They have just done a section between Holsworthy and Bude. of course the road was closed. I appreciate that some of the roads around here are narrow but the answer is always close the road. If you lived in Holsworthy and wanted to go to Bude, a distance I believe of 8 miles, it was 12 miles to Launceston then another 14 miles back to the road to Bude. Another section of the A388 has just been resurfaced and it is like driving on a washboard. A road was resurfaced and within 18mths a large area has lifted ( about a metre square). Just outside on the A388 at Holsworthy a hole appeared it was left and eventually repaired. Now there is a line of some 6 or 7 holes that originate from the original all filled in. It would have been cost effective to have repaired the first hole properly..Just below this is a stream with a bridge, to remove surface water from the road a slot has been cut in the grass verge. WHERE about a metre up the hill so that water lies in the hollow. I have on occasion seen them repair a hole. Shovel full of tarmac, stamp on it and drive off because they too damn idle to get the tamper off the lorry. Does nobody answer to what is obviously cowboy work. I don't know who did the roads but almost certainly South West Roads. I believe it is now called Devon Roads. I understand that when the government of the day privatised  road work DCC formed SW Roads some privatisation!!!!!.The other day Cornwall Council repaired a piece of their bit of the A388. Stop Go boards and Tamper out, hole filled in properly. As I commented it is no good contacting DCC as they just ignore it .Unfortunately we live just about the furthest point away from the seat of government and it's CABINET at Exeter so we get ignored. What is frightening is our MP has to travel this piece of road regularly and still nothing is done.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 09:13:14 PM »
I telephoned my council today. Finally got through after a long wait. Turns out they are not responsible for the section of road in question. It is just on the other side of the boundary of the neighbouring county. I was advised to telephone the relevant council. I was informed that there have been a number of complaints to date. Now we watch and wait...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:16:24 AM by MartinJG »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 09:46:25 AM »
Just seen this on Twitter.

PolScotControlRooms

Verified account

@polscotcontrol
 44m44 minutes ago
More
In next 15mins, to facilitate an urgent road repair, @polscotrpu will be implementing a short closure of #A720 Edinburgh City Bypass just west of Straiton junction.   Won't last long so please be patient.  Short delay is better than a damaged car #pothole   @trafficscotland

The snow is barely cleared and they are on the job.

Tags: